Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
I'll second that Macca - that's really insightful Greg - thank you very much.
The crippling cost of motorsport is something which can't be over-emphasised, hence the need for a collaborative approach.
If I'm to be totally honest, rallying would be my first choice and endurance racing would follow.
While it's generally much cheaper to buy a racing car than to build one - it's apparent that racing is in another category of time, expense and commitment to
even the most dedicated track day involvement.
Tim
If you want to move to racing from track days, the 2K Cup is a great entry point, and inexpensive. You can test the waters and see if it's for you before commiting too much money.
The next step, if money is limited (as opposed to unlimited!) could be to Honda Cup, which I am involved with. It ranges in classes from N1 production, to modified NA classes with leading track times that would be competitive with the mid-field of the Porsche series. At a fraction of the cost.
Targa is a great rally option if gravel bashing doesn't spin your wheels.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wise words again Greg.

Im interested to go racing but haven't identified a series yet that appeals. It needs to be one make for me as Im interested in developing my driving skills not exercising my wallet. The excludes things like Porsche series. Unfortunately with Ssangyong series finishing for good in April 2018 we are left with few choices in NZ currently. The TR86 series is of interest but probably above my budget. Its a shame we dont have something like the Ginetta Series in NZ (https://www.ginetta.com/our-championships) as this would pretty much float my boat and also work budget wise if I diverted my current annual track day budget (typically its been 15 days a year with Porsche GT3/4) to a series.

All that being said theres something very attractive about the ease of rocking up to the track in a road car, putting in 70-80 fast laps over a day catching up with buddies in the paddock and then driving back home, washing the car and getting on with life. Even moreso if you can run something quick and visceral like a GT3 at the track...

I will have to learn more about the Honda Cup series as obviously this has a number of elements that appeal in terms of motorsport and the budget would work too.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by Maxem; 12-07-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 AM
Maxem
Drifting

While we are on frogs, my old 106 rally's is up for sale. Sold this in about May so interested to see what it goes for now. Great photos.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
While we are on frogs, my old 106 rally's is up for sale. Sold this in about May so interested to see what it goes for now. Great photos.
Nice! What's your prediction for final price Dave?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Hard to know.
I spent a bit on it and it owes him about 7.5k. I don't think he has spent anything on it. Pictures look great but it has a bit more to do. I had a lot of interest in it.
maybe 8-9k?
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM
btz461
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hard to know.
I spent a bit on it and it owes him about 7.5k. I don't think he has spent anything on it. Pictures look great but it has a bit more to do. I had a lot of interest in it.
maybe 8-9k?
What was left to do on it? General finishing off or major dollars? Its great to see a carefully crafted advert with excellent pix on TradeMe.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by btz461
What was left to do on it? General finishing off or major dollars? Its great to see a carefully crafted advert with excellent pix on TradeMe.
Just a bit more paintwork, replace a bit of broken interior trim, and it ran well but was tempramentally froggy sometimes.
Sensors and the like. The engine was strong.
I had some panel and paint done but in retrospect it was not that good so a couple of $K there would make it excellent.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Been a while since I was on here! Spotted this while looking for cheap ways to get around over the break. Here's a good way to get from Auckland to Nelson if anyone is bored and looking for an excuse to go for a drive to Nelson

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/reloca...on/262396.html
Old 12-14-2017, 04:26 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Been a while since I was on here! Spotted this while looking for cheap ways to get around over the break. Here's a good way to get from Auckland to Nelson if anyone is bored and looking for an excuse to go for a drive to Nelson

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/reloca...on/262396.html
Damn, that would be fun. Interesting site, have you done a car transfer before?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Damn, that would be fun. Interesting site, have you done a car transfer before?
I've used them before. Its really handy for picking up new car purchases that are out of town! Its a great way to see the country side as well. Its not uncommon to be able to get a car or camper from CHCH to Queenstown, and then get one on the way back as well. The interisland transfers often include a tank of gas, and free ferry crossing.

Pretty sure you could see the entire country using only free transfers if you had a bit of time up your sleeve.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:11 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I've done plenty of transfers AKL-CHC and reverse. Have always used Apollo though. If you get the timing right the better deals are a 6 berth, $1 per day, ferry crossing for van a driver included plus $150 towards gas. Usually have 4 days to do the trip. Year before last we had on van my sister and her family had a second and we convoyed from Chc- Blenheim - Wlg - Napier - Mt Manganui - Akl. With the bigger vans there are a few extras that you need to pay for like linen and toilet chemicals. However, given the deal it's a nominal cost. Free camping is easy in NZ And there is an app to find water stations and camping spots I think it's called Campermate. It's a great way to spend a few days
Old 12-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello from Christchurch!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 PM
shiraz
Racer

Summer safety rant: have just come back from a trip to Wanaka, drove down early on the 2nd through heavy fog & very poor early light/ some drizzle ( viz as little as 100-150 m in places). Came home last night through torrential rain. It staggers me that, perhaps 40 % of drivers, Do Not have sufficient intelligence to turn on their ******* lights. Even some cops - braindead, one was sitting on outskirts of Culverden trying to gather revenue. Should have been stopping unlit cars & teaching the safety aspects of being VISIBLE. One car, 9:30 last night, at the turnoff from SH1 at Waipara. It was already substantially dark, as well as p1ssing down.
Beats me how some people can hold a job that allows them to buy 100k cars, but lack the horse sense to use the headlights.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Agree with you on lights Dave. It's nuts. I drive with a minimum of driving lights since being T boned by someone who "never saw me".

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?