Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G Class in PCA? Alive or a bit on the muted side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks dude whats the deal with wheel spacers? i found the rears on the boxste rto be sitting well inside the wheel well/arches and they could come out a smidge. is there a rule for or against wheel spacers in those stock classes?

lastly, anyone have any tips on left footed braking? nothing to do with the boxster, but for my trans am TA2 mustang, ive been trying to convert from right footed to left footed, since its clutchless shifting. but you have to breathe on the way up the gears which is easy. but you have to blip on the way down. ive been doing it like a a normal clutch thing other than not using my left foot. but most i speak to left foot brake. and they just tap the throttle with their right. plus midcorner then can modulate. and of course i see most rally guys and high end road racers left foot braking.

been practicing inmy truck and road car on the street. easy there. but on track, wow, so much different. so i decide to give it a whirl in the boxster yesterday on some turns where i coudl get away without shifting. i almost destroyed the car, or i was way too hard or easy. its like 30+ years of driving a road car and a clutch race car has my right foot modulating the brake like a champ. but that left foot??? wasnt even close. plus i felt like i had no stability in the seat. right footed braking, you use the left foot on the dead pedal to stabilize yourself offsetting the g-forces and load, etc.
it was humbling. to say the least.
anyone have any great tips or ideas on how to get good at left footed braking?

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Booster

MC
Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been LFbraking since I got my pdk cayman. IMHO the only way to do it is switch completely and suffer, practice,

but after a few days, it became natural. It then takes some more time to be subtle with it, but I find it very comfortable and a lot of fun. Great feel in my left foot I never really knew was there!

to get over not having the dead pedal, crank your harnesses and try to focus on relaxing w light feet and hands.

As to whether it's quicker, a subject of much debate. I think it just depends on the individual
Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

Read my comments in the other thread, Steve
Old 07-15-2017, 02:58 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

here were first laps back in the G class car after 2 years out of action. only took me about 10 minutes to get comfortable and to remember the agility and footwork and it all working together. midway through 2nd session starting pushing well and turned up a 2:37.2 which was about 1/2 second off my very fastest in the G stock car at MMC. this lap was in the afternoon, got a bit greasy and humid just before the monsoon, but fun stuff. didnt mean to throw a hand at that spb, he just needed to get over one more 'lane' rather than hanging out mid-track with his hand out the window. then again, i should have laid back a bit more.
fun track, really fun car. the car was actually the car Rick Deman build for me in like 2011 or 2012 for continental challenge i ran with sam schultz. awesome machine, so comfy, just does what you ask. another pal bought it and ran it easy for a few years, and i bought it back from him affordably since i knew the quality of the build and spec. but, we did run into some car issues in the afternoon. had the dreaded ice pedal which i never erally had before but then again, i think we ran bosch abs i n continental. and had a shifter issue which we felt was from slop in the cable, shifter and just a few shifts maybe too assertive given my first time on track in a while. i think the car has a 2;36 high in it as the 237.2 came on used tires.
that lap in the vid was also me trying to use 3rd gear in a few spots instead of whomping down to 2nd, which felt more powerful but didnt show in the laptimes. and 3rd was just smoother and easier on the cars, easier to repeat lap after lap without mauling the trans and rubber.

nice to be back. happy with my choice in cars. was just fun, no drama.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Nice lap. They still haven't nixed that annoying kink at the end of the back straight? Ruins the whole flow of the track back there....
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Talked to the other G guys. We decided you're too fast. Please add 800lbs of ballast to car prior to NJMP.

Kidding aside, look forward to meeting you.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brownan
Talked to the other G guys. We decided you're too fast. Please add 800lbs of ballast to car prior to NJMP.

Kidding aside, look forward to meeting you.
Full disclosure, used to belong to mMC. know most of the cracks in the pavement. done more laps there than a mouse on a wheel.
mmc, lrp, njmp - i didn't circulate around much, not much of a world traveler. but those couple, i know pretty good.
hoping to have the braking and shifter situation sorted in week or so, be at njmp to have some more fun hope you had a great weekend.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds good.

The silver car I had at MMC just got finished by the DeMan guys on Wednesday (killed my old DeMan G car at WGI in June). We had a few kinks to work out as well. Mushy brake pedal, steering sensor, etc. Managed a low 38 but suspect there is another second once the car gets fully sorted. Track got progressively slower during the weekend and humidity didn't help as far as making power. Aurora had a DNF in the second sprint race owing to a puncture and I think they had some of their own mechanical issues in the Enduro with the PDK club car.

Quick Reply: G Class in PCA? Alive or a bit on the muted side?