Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges is Repaved

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:35 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I ran Nelsons when I lived in Cleveland 20 years ago. Fun track but it was in crappy shape back then. I'm sure time hasn't treated it well. Those bathrooms were disgusting!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I did my first DE at Nelsons with Allegheny Region in 1990. The place was a crap hole then think it has gotten worse. Besides the tires there is a sewage issue that cannot be resolved unless they put in a sewage plant or go to a slew of Porta Johns. PEEU
I wish the new owners all the luck in the world but feel like they are waging a
losing battle.
OK so now all you guys from ARPCA and Northern Ohio Region can tell me why I am wrong.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

The last time I raced at Nelson was 1999 in my Swift Formula Ford, and the track was pretty much like it was back in the 80's, i.e. rough in some sections but drivable. The facilities have always been ......"rustic". I did a track day at Nelson a couple of years ago and the track was practically un-drivable, IMO. It was in such bad shape the steering wheel would literally almost shake out of my hands in some sections. Exiting the Kink and into T13 was probably the worst and that's where you hit max speed. I was kind of sad that it was in such condition because I remember when it was in good shape.

I really hope the repaving brings the track back to decent condition. I went to my first SCCA Driver's School there and have won SCCA Nationals and Regionals at Nelson. Lots of good memories. It's a good layout and was a very fast track in its day.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Smokey the Talon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great track layout that's fast and fun. Hopefully this can bring some new life to the track and they can then have the ability to update the rest of the facility. Gonna be tough though with the proximity of other great tracks that have updated themselves recently too.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 AM
rymerc
Instructor

New pavement is pretty smooth with some dips and rises since they laid the new asphalt over the old. On the end of the front straight, and where the access road comes across are the two that I remember.

They didn't have any curbing in place so there was a sketchy 4"+ drop off into the grass at the edges, but they said they'd address that within 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Drove Nelsons Ledges yesterday. First time ever. Have read about the poor previous condition, and knew of the re-pave. Gave it a shot with AutoInterests. Ran in solo Advanced group.

Pro's:
- no more "PEEU" (as Clark/ApexPerf said in earlier post) - I didn't detect any sewage smell. I was there all day and walked around. I had very low expectations and will admit that the ladies bathroom was better than I expected. Still extremely "rustic" - but a real (relatively new) flushing toilet and sinks with running water to wash hands. A couple notches better than a port-a-john (which is what I expected). The bathroom was the ONLY thing about the day that exceeded very low expectations
- nice friendly people
- surface smooth and decent grip. Already has several patches but they were also smooth. I was told same coating as what PittRace just put down on the entire track in July which is awesome (at PittRace)
- had a vendor selling lunch (I brought my own) but it smelled good and seemed to be popular.
- gas is available BUT you have to go find someone to operate the equipment and it's cash only. I went into Garrettsville (6 miles) for gas at Speedway
- some fun turns, especially the combo at the end of the back straight going onto front straight, and Oak Tree was fun (except for gravel at apex)
- only 80 miles from home

Cons:
- Spooky bumps are still there before the kink. Bumps that unsettle suspension left to right and a dip with significant compression. Tried changing my line to find smoother surface - no can do. Spans the track. I was braking early. I was also being quite conservative as it's not a place I want to leave pavement

- Entry to track is gravel and potholes. Entire parking area is grass and access "roads" are strewn with potholes and gravel. Not friendly to hot sticky tires or low cars

- DO NOT DRIVE OVER THE BRIDGE! Made this miskake at lunch. Was directed to leave the track over bridge. The "step up" pavement onto the bridge was daunting but at a severe angle I didn't scrape. HUGE pothole in center of bridge - I spanned it under center of car and inside edges of tires caught but had enough tire on flatter surface it was okay. Didn't want to try and go around pothole as pavement seemed to melt toward edges of bridge and didn't look like it could take weight of car. YIKES vowed never again

- once over the spooky bridge - you drive forever (okay - maybe a 1/2 mile that feels like forever) around the frickin farm before you get to the exit gate. Very rough gravel dirt road. Not friendly to low cars, sticky hot tires. Vowed never again

- The OTHER way in/out is across the track so it's only open when track is cold. They did announce some specific times when they'd open the gate. I was certain to return before 12:30 when afternoon went hot and was planning to stay till the end (5:30) to avoid bridge, but they opened gate at 4:30 to let some big rigs out (trucks/big rigs not allowed on bridge)

- a few cars PARKED on spooky bridge to watch. Was told they were eventually chased away but I went two laps passing under a car over me and swore the bridge was sagging. It shouldn't carry more than a bicycle

- They put material along edges of track that looks like pavement to create a "ramp-effect" if you go off (ease the transition to grass). There are white painted solid lines along both edges of entire track to indicate where this "ramp-material" starts. Was told DO NOT DRIVE OVER WHITE LINES. Material crumbles and turns to gravel when walked upon (so driving over it is worse).

As people drove over the edge material (happened frequently) they would spray the gravel onto the track. It was mostly at apex and track out - and my car got sprayed with gravel a few times - one piece tore right threw clear mask to paint (thank goodness for clear film). I pitted once session after determining too much gravel for me. I was changing my line to avoid it in some places and trying not to be behind anyone. Takes the fun out of a lap. Was told 3 windshields broke/cracked on Saturday due to gravel (I was there only on Sunday). Saw one guy with nice size chip in center of windshield on new car - and he figured he has a bunch of nose chips too.

THIS^ is a big problem and enough to keep me away. Bad enough to know if you go off - you go over a Ledge (is that why it's called Nelsons LEDGES???). But to introduce some crappy material to ease the transition which turns to gravel if disturbed??? WTF???? No thanks

- crazy tire walls still there - not exactly the safest track to go off. Someone said to me they felt it had a lot of run off. I've been told the ground undulates so much that cars easily overturn as they get caught in ruts. Many areas have tons of trees relatively close to track. Can't really see surface because grass is tall in the fields. Looks friendly enough but I've been told it's treacherous

I'm glad I went. Tried my third new track this year. Had fun. Saw some friends, made some new friends.

I won't be going back unless there is an overhaul of infrastructure and the track gets some proper curbing and they fix the problem that causes too much gravel to be thrown on the surface (which was discussed at length in the driver's meeting - yet many drivers ignored, or don't know the size of their car and miss-judged where they put their tires).

Was told curbs will be installed but they are still determining placement. Not sure what they plan to do about the track edges (LEDGES).
Old 08-14-2017, 03:02 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

UPDATE

After washing the car it's apparent that the gravel problem was more pervasive than I thought.

The clear film received more damage in one day, than all of my previous events in the last year.

The film did the job (thankfully) but I would caution anyone who plans to go to protect your paint (if you care) and the windshield.

Until they change something about the material at the edge of the track - expect gravel in all the worst places (turn in, apex, track out).
Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 PM
rymerc
Instructor

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
After washing the car it's apparent that the gravel problem was more pervasive than I thought.
Did you check the insides of your wheels, calipers, suspension, etc for accumulation? I ran the first weekend after the repave, and the tar/chips were caked on the barrels so heavily it looked like my wheels were repaved Check calipers too, lots of heavily-tarred gravel-chips glued themselves to all kinds of working parts and abraded/scored contact-surfaces. Power washer, gasoline and brake cleaner got most of it off.

Yeah that bridge is something else! For the money, mid-ohio and pittrace are too close for me to go back to NL this year
Old 08-14-2017, 06:34 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

There are clearly some things (such as curbing, drop offs, etc.) that still need attention, and hopefully they are planned. While I understand the gripes, and frankly I haven't gone to a track day on the new surface because of those very issues, I prefer to look at the Nelson Ledges glass as half full. I started racing there in the early 80's and this is the first time I can recall that the entire track has been repaved. If those remaining issues are addressed, perhaps Nelson can once again be a fun, fast track, if still somewhat rustic in its facilities.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Nelson holds a lot of great memories for a lot of racers.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rymerc
Did you check the insides of your wheels, calipers, suspension, etc for accumulation? I ran the first weekend after the repave, and the tar/chips were caked on the barrels so heavily it looked like my wheels were repaved Check calipers too, lots of heavily-tarred gravel-chips glued themselves to all kinds of working parts and abraded/scored contact-surfaces. Power washer, gasoline and brake cleaner got most of it off.

Yeah that bridge is something else! For the money, mid-ohio and pittrace are too close for me to go back to NL this year
Yes - checked and not nearly as bad as your situation. Maybe it was too fresh when you ran.

I'm MUCH closer to PittRace (25 min) so I'll stick with my home track, or make the drive to Mid-OH which I absolutely LOVE. NL is off my list.

Originally Posted by David993S
There are clearly some things (such as curbing, drop offs, etc.) that still need attention, and hopefully they are planned. While I understand the gripes, and frankly I haven't gone to a track day on the new surface because of those very issues, I prefer to look at the Nelson Ledges glass as half full. I started racing there in the early 80's and this is the first time I can recall that the entire track has been repaved. If those remaining issues are addressed, perhaps Nelson can once again be a fun, fast track, if still somewhat rustic in its facilities.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Nelson holds a lot of great memories for a lot of racers.
I can understand a "sentimental attachment" but it's a dangerous place because of the extremely bumpy run off. Spoke to a friend today who ran there years ago and told stories of airborne cars due to the undulations in the run off. Also overturned cars. He had a cracked windshield on his last visit there (years ago) due to rocks spraying up from tires ahead (just like yesterday).

They have a LOT of work to do and I'd love to see it happen.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Very encouraging that someone is trying to fix the place but just paving over problems is not smart. They needed to remove the old surface or at least mill it.

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges is Repaved