Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
what happened anyway, just missed the braking point? seems brakes were good as tires squealed all thru the whole time... seems he was trying to wrench the wheel right when fully on brakes... car never turned... understeer much?
Looks like a non ABS E30. Messed up downshift and then locked brakes and target fixated. Kept adding steering hoping it would turn better . That never works especially with locked brakes.
Interesting how the stock clutch slips on the up shift like they all do. TXE36's did that in the video with me driving in that thread last week.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
he comm data would be interesting. I would have been yelling "OFF THE BRAKES, TURN RIGHT, GAS-GAS-GAS!".

-Mike
Would have said the same, WITHOUT the "GAS-GAS-GAS..."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera51
In addition to the mistakes made executing a routine pass, am I the only one surprised at how that E30 folded up?
That was my thought. The tire wall could not have absorbed too much.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Looks like a non ABS E30. Messed up downshift and then locked brakes and target fixated. Kept adding steering hoping it would turn better . That never works especially with locked brakes.
Interesting how the stock clutch slips on the up shift like they all do. TXE36's did that in the video with me driving in that thread last week.
Dave, dead nuts right on everything regarding lock up and "hoping to turn" BUT the "shift slip" your e36. you had many shifts that were done correctly. the slip is driver induced, not the slipping factor of the clutch. when timed right, it doesnt do it. its an artform you have not mastered. its ok .. just practice it.. you will get better. Ive driven too many of the e36s and e30s to know when they are driven correctly, when they are not and when they have an issue with the clutch. you can hear it.. and you can see the shift timing. its wrong with th is driver. first warning sign as an astute instructor.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So you think it would stick just coasting? I'm genuinely curious. The reason for the GAS GAS GAS is partially a verbal 2x4 to the drivers head to get them off the brakes and also to hold the back end down.

In reference to the earlier post, yeah, it does bother me how much that E30 folded up.

-Mike
Old 05-23-2017, 06:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
agree!
Originally Posted by porscharu
That was my thought. The tire wall could not have absorbed too much.
it sure didnt. that thing is all twisted up!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by porscharu
The tire wall could not have absorbed too much.
That's not a tire wall. That's a Kibort tire store.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
If you look at the top of that video it says S52. It wouldn't surprise me if also had the E36 M3 transmission it it as well, so from a power train perspective, it is the same as your old ride.

Comment deleted - I think the guy lost his brakes.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 05-23-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's not a tire wall. That's a Kibort tire store.
DAMMIT! Now I've got to clean this keyboard and get another cup of coffee!

-Mike
Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I always ask my students about their driving experience and to drive a lap or two focusing on clean lines, braking points while learning track. This helps me assess skill level and what to add that might help. Sometime please accelerate, but more often its "focus on your lines and get your braking done a little earlier while focusing on being smooth.

It was clear this guy was a true rookie. Hot inside pass leading up to poor line entering high speed turn, missed rpm match on down shift, leads to panic, over braking while turning, then fights the wheel while on the brake...

Would like to hear from the instructor. First lap on cold tires too?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Do they make these in nomex???
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

IMHO, this is a rookie mistake related to passing. Ideally, get back on-line after the pass. Which he didn't. He made the pass but then found himself in the middle/right of the track when he's probably used to being on far left at turn entry.
Novice would obviously would need to overslow and walk it through and not be concerned about slowing down cars behind - who just gave pass signal. (Novices are always over-concerned about keeping up top speed after making a pass, and not slowing down the car that they just passed, even in that first turn. That's a mindset that the instructor needs to be aware of, and that he needs to break for the novice, or else this result!)
Looking again, I'd be pointing left big-time during that pass. That's my style as an instructor. If he didn't get left (as the driver did not in video), I'd be making the patting down motion to slow. Done each of these many times, lap after lap when needed.
The instructor needs to be on high alert when the novice student makes that sort-of-late pass and is not getting back on-line!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
IMHO, this is a rookie mistake related to passing. Ideally, get back on-line after the pass. Which he didn't. He made the pass but then found himself in the middle/right of the track when he's probably used to being on far left at turn entry.
Novice would obviously would need to overslow and walk it through and not be concerned about slowing down cars behind - who just gave pass signal.
Looking again, I'd be pointing left big-time during that pass. That's my style as an instructor. If he didn't get left (as in video), I'd be making the patting down motion to slow. Done each of these many times, lap after lap when needed.
The instructor needs to be on high alert when the novice student makes that sort-of-late pass and is not getting back on-line!
+1
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of his lines anywhere in that video. The jerking steering going into the turn was indecision at the wrong time. ouch. As for the instructor. The two feet on the dash is part one of the Hungarian sport racing associations teaching protocol. Also known as the Budapest safety procedure. Part two is to quickly bend at the waste so as to place your head between the legs and pucker up in the buttocks region.

Quick Reply: Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.