Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugged tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never. If you don't care about what happens to you what about the poor guy that gets hit or does the hitting because of the bad tire.

I have more respect for my fellow track mates than to put them in harms way.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

You have to abrade the inside of the tire to remove mold release in order to get a good bond... Also need to inspect the inside of the tire for damage...

I say this, because its fresh in my mind... This just happened to me a couple of months ago.. Wife ran over a nail that I thought could be repaired... When I got into the tire, the nail was a lot longer than I thought and was poking into the sidewall from the inside.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For a street car with a nail that didn't go flat I'm comfortable with mushroom style plug.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Plugged tire

Quite surprised by so many responses about my plugged tire. I thank you all for your input. As DT Miller replied, "No, but you know that" and he was right, I really don't plan on using the plugged tire on the track.

So now I have to decide whether to buy one new rear tire and run it with the other three that have a lttle less than 50%, buy two new rear tires or just upgrade to some sticky tires such as RE-71Rs or the new Conti Extreme. Driving 1999 996 C-2 with H&R springs & sway bars with Bilstein B-8s 5 or 6 track events a year. Any thoughts on tire choices?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't know what you're using now but I've been using RE71s (now RE71R) and RE11s prior for years--know that it's still a street tire albeit a damned good one! If your other tires are 50% or less I'd probably get 2 new ones of what you have or something else (if the latter, put' em on the same axle); just take it a bit easy on track until they scrub in a bit.

I would have no problem using a plugged/patched tire on the street--just this morning I picked up a screw and had the tire plugged. It's back on the car....

Gary
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Plugging is fine as long as they use those plug/patch combos (looks like an engine valve).
Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

For my wifes car, I managed to find an exact match (same model / same tread depth / date code within 2 months) on ebay. Was surprised by how many used tires are being sold..
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Used tires scare me more than patching/plugging one of my own.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Used tires scare me more than patching/plugging one of my own.
I had/have my reservations too and yes there is some real crap.. But if you are looking for a recent date code and do your homework, there were surprising good options out there.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

the only risk of a tread position hole that is plugged is leak. once you hog out the hole (and anyone that has done this, knows how tough steel belted tires are in this area). no plug , used with vulcanizing rubber cement) is going to move out of the hole... i have done this a few times and i lose more air out of the bead than the plug... its not going anywhere . i trust it more than a patch that can come lose over time on the inside of a tire, due to heat moisture, etc. the risk is not a "tire explosion" as the alarmists would have you believe, but a tire going flat is a HUGE risk as a DE person not feeling the effects of a tire going down , can get in real trouble fast with a tire with low air pressure. if its a new tire, or newish tire, i would radial plug it. It has to be done right and with the right kind of plug. ive been using them on street cars for 30 years and the worst experience I've ever had with one, was a slight leak (leak over a week) . i dont think its possible for them to cause any issues at the track, as long as its not hanging out of the tire! (see part where it needs to be installed correctly)
now, this is my opinion... and experience and logic speaking here. dont be offended if it crosses your safety perceptions.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if its a new tire, or newish tire, i would radial plug it. It has to be done right and with the right kind of plug. ive been using them on street cars for 30 years and the worst experience I've ever had with one, was a slight leak (leak over a week) .
OP states tire is 50% or worse.....so suppose you plug it and it still leaks as you say on the street; why deal with it? Bite the bullet, buy a tire and get on with it. You'll have a new tire and peace of mind at the track.

Gary
Old 04-25-2017, 04:12 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

This is just nuts!!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:18 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
This is just nuts!!
Yessir--let's put this to bed.

<snorrrrrre>
Old 04-25-2017, 06:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
OP states tire is 50% or worse.....so suppose you plug it and it still leaks as you say on the street; why deal with it? Bite the bullet, buy a tire and get on with it. You'll have a new tire and peace of mind at the track.

Gary
The point is that he plugs work well and if its keeping air after a day at the track, it's basically in positiion to not come out or move. there is no structural concerns with a radial plug. But, if the tire was more worn than 50%, and the plug was holding air.... i would use it a few more times and buy two new tires for front or rear of the car. i dont like to buy new tires for one side of the car.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Plugged tire

OK, ok, I ordered two new rear tires from Tire Rack today, I'll use the takeoffs for driving around town or whatever. Loved everyones reply.

Quick Reply: Plugged tire