Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
In Formula 1 he goes over the turtles. In Indy, he goes over the birdies,
Old 05-07-2017, 01:51 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by porscharu
I have to agree. IRL needs a shot in the arm. Outside of Indiana no one under the age of fifty watches their racing.
It's just Indy Car now not Indy Racing League (IRL). The racing is actually pretty good now, essentially because most of the "pay to drive" drivers are gone. So, most of the races are not a crash-fest of stupid maneuvers like before. However, the cars are are ugly. They look like 5th graders did the chassis/aero design. They have the bad history, the ugly cars and some really poor venue choices to overcome and that will take a little time. I think they also need more diversity in car manufacturer involvement. Honda vs Chevy is not enough. Heck, those two are not even historic rivals, so it lacks that draw. Still the racing has been pretty good.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm a little torn on the "ugly cars" thing.

I mean... I don't disagree that they're ugly... but they look the way they do because of safety innovations they've made over the years. It's hard to argue with that.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Poor Fernando Alonso's McLaren-Honda Had a Catastrophic Failure on His Outlap
So the two time champ went and played tennis instead.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...mclaren-honda/

Today marks the start of F1's European season with first practice sessions for the Spanish GP. And because it's the first times the teams have been in Europe since the beginning of the season, it's the first chance for the teams to go back to their factories and prepare big updates for the cars.

McLaren-Honda, well, Honda in particular, has been in under pressure to deliver for McLaren. The engine has been underpowered and woefully unreliable for the entire season so far, so bad that Honda is planning a massive update for June.

Too bad it couldn't come soon.

Fernando Alonso, made it two corners in first practice before the rear wheels locked and the car spun, smoke everywhere and oil literally pouring out of the back of the car.

"Engine. Engine problem." is what Fernando said over the radio. At least, that's what was broadcasted, he likely had some more choice words that wouldn't be appropriate for F1's younger viewers. Seems like an understatement. Just like that, his session was over. So Fernando went to play tennis to "keep the body active." And probably also to keep his mind off just how badly his weekend began.

It's not like practice two went any better. Alonso was last on the timesheets, nearly four seconds off the pace of Lewis Hamilton's leading Mercedes. Alonso probably can't wait to get to Indy.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,506 Likes on 2,087 Posts

What a waste of driver talent... He probably can't wait for this weekend to be over so he can concentrate on Indy.

It boggles the mind that Sauber is giving up Ferrari engines for 2018 to be replaced by Honda engines....
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My guess is its a matter of money. Wouldn't be surprised if Sauber might be getting a bunch of money to use the Honda engines next year. Look at the side of the car- no major sponsor. Plus the Ferrari engines are 2016 spec.

Last edited by Jim Devine; 05-13-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:39 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Devine
My guess is its a matter of money. Wouldn't be surprised if Sauber might be getting a bunch of money to use the Honda engines next year. Look at the side of the car- no major sponsor. Plus the Ferrari engines are 2016 spec.
There's no question it's money because it can't be performance. Last years Ferrari engines are better than any Honda engine at the moment. With Peter Sauber gone, I think that team is just trying to survive and getting $$ is more important than where they finish on the grid.

Anyone see Alonso put the mac in 7th in F1 qualifying? WOW. He's a free agent next year.....
Old 05-13-2017, 03:48 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
There's no question it's money because it can't be performance. Last years Ferrari engines are better than any Honda engine at the moment. With Peter Sauber gone, I think that team is just trying to survive and getting $$ is more important than where they finish on the grid.

Anyone see Alonso put the mac in 7th in F1 qualifying? WOW. He's a free agent next year.....
If he does well at Indy I can absolutely see him switching over (if he's offered a ride)--doubly so if JPM (who's doing the race as a one-off like FA) succeeds as well. The Latin tag team

Gary
Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alonso was interviewed before qualifying in Spain and pretty much said he will switch to the F1 team that has the best package -- He's hoping Bottas or Kimi will no longer bethe 2nd driver for their respective teams. If both those don't work out, then it may be back to Renault. No talk of Indy in his immediate future.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Two Time Formula One Champion Fastest Rookie

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...e-group-today/

Among the drivers in the "rookies and refreshers" test group, Alonso set the fastest average speed, at 221.634 mph.

Ever since two-time F1 Champion Fernando Alonso announced he would be skipping the Monaco Grand Prix to compete in the 2017 Indianapolis 500, we've been on the edge of our seats waiting for the green flag to drop. The race isn't for another two weeks, but that hasn't stopped Alonso from making himself at home at the Speedway.

Today race organizers held a two-hour practice session for rookies and other part-time drivers to get a feel for the track and their respective cars. According to Autosport, it was Alonso who came up on top for the day, lapping the 2.5-mile oval with an average speed of 221.634 mph on his 26th lap. While certainly quick, Alonso's time today was slower than the 222.548 mph lap he set on his first time around the track earlier this month.

Alonso was followed closely by fellow Spaniard Oriol Servià, who set an average speed of 220.759 mph on his fastest lap. Full-time rookie driver Ed Jones rounded out the top three with an average speed of 219.288 mph.

If you were worried Alonso might not be able to get accustomed to the speed of IndyCar, don't be. It looks like he's doing just fine.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Two Time Formula One Champion Fastest Rookie

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...e-group-today/
IIRC last year 222 made the show so he's in the ballpark.......

Gary
Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I don't believe he is a talented driver, but Keep in mind that he also had an additional testing day where they allowed him to pass his rookie test. I don't believe any of the other rookies had turned a lap in an IndyCar on a high speed oval. Ed jones may have done a test elsewhere.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Alonso's luck carries over. First practice day and his car fails due to mechanical issues. Poor guy just cant pick a team for him!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

He's certainly not shy in traffic...

Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
He's certainly not shy in traffic...
Vamos Fernando, muéstranos lo que puedes hacer. Me gusta mucho.

Quick Reply: Alonso to miss Monaco, race in Indy 500