Sponsored by:

Green/Novice/Beginner DE Safety Concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm heading to my first PCA DE (done 2 in other marques years ago) this weekend.

Oh no......DE's will never be the same.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Will contribute this to the already good set of comments here:

(4) if you feel tired, stressed or you're struggling and becoming frustrated, come into the pits and maybe call it a day. In my experience, most Green incidents happen at the end of the day when students are tired and dehydrated but feel like they should push the risk in order to feel like they're progressing.
In a post of true words, ne'er were truer words written from what I've seen.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Oh no......DE's will never be the same.
ain't that the truth
Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

A lion's share of single car incidents (like the popular Turn 1 Lightning thread)
I can't find this thread but would like to read it. Can you provide a link ?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I can't find this thread but would like to read it. Can you provide a link ?
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...other-way.html
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks. I actually did see this one but for some reason thought you were referring to a different thread.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:31 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Quad, how was the DE with the Boxster??
Old 04-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Quad, how was the DE with the Boxster??
mostly good, but not all.

Even with the stock suspension, the car handled well. Very predictable, not too spongy, and pretty responsive. Power is a bit short, but we knew that. Brakes held up great.

On the end of the 2nd day though, I got some big oil smoke due to AOS issue. I was able to bandaid it with some home depot jerry rigging, but with oil getting into the intake, I only did a few more short sessions. Also, when the oil was hot hot hot, the lifters would tick a bit (noise gone when back to normal temps).

Car drove home fine, but I have some work to do. I have my doubts on the reliability of the platform for this type of driving, especially on R-comps (i ran NT01s).

I'm going to replace the AOS, add a 2 quart deepsump with horizontal baffle, and throw on a third radiator. Sad, but I might even need to run a racing oil like XP9.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

If your doing the deep sump I have two new OEM swirl pots for the internal part of the AOS system..
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If your doing the deep sump I have two new OEM swirl pots for the internal part of the AOS system..
Thanks gary the kit I'm purchasing comes with the 987 style swirl pots (although are more like just return tubes
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks gary the kit I'm purchasing comes with the 987 style swirl pots (although are more like just return tubes
Which kit are you going with? I ordered the LN/BRS kit a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately it's still backordered...
Old 04-14-2017, 05:00 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

mostly good, but not all.

Even with the stock suspension, the car handled well. Very predictable, not too spongy, and pretty responsive. Power is a bit short, but we knew that. Brakes held up great.

On the end of the 2nd day though, I got some big oil smoke due to AOS issue. I was able to bandaid it with some home depot jerry rigging, but with oil getting into the intake, I only did a few more short sessions. Also, when the oil was hot hot hot, the lifters would tick a bit (noise gone when back to normal temps).

Car drove home fine, but I have some work to do. I have my doubts on the reliability of the platform for this type of driving, especially on R-comps (i ran NT01s).

I'm going to replace the AOS, add a 2 quart deepsump with horizontal baffle, and throw on a third radiator. Sad, but I might even need to run a racing oil like XP9.
I'll be trying my new DE Boxster out for the first time in the next month or so - as soon as I can get out - interested to see how it goes.

I'm on plain jane street summer tires so I think that will be a bit easier on the car. I'd like to at least get a 2L sump on the car before I put it on R comps. I figure that and the squishy stock suspension will have me chomping at the bit to complete the full SPB conversion... but first I need the car reliable & safe, THEN I can add suspension and slicks. Since my wife bought off on doing this first race car project over two years, not three months, I'll have to be a bit patient!

Quick Reply: Green/Novice/Beginner DE Safety Concern