996 Oiling upgrade for fast DE use

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slakker
Cool. Just validating. Great info.
I'll see if i can steal a few holiday minutes to post up a pressure vs. rpm comparison. It'll probably be April before I'm on track again, with some sort of aftermarket solution. We'll see what the data says then.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:48 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an interesting thread.

Is anybody able to correlate the drop in oil pressure to eventual or acute engine issues?

How many of the 996 engine failures are a direct result of oil starvation?

I understand that many 996 engines end up with scored cylinders, and scored cylinders can be attributed to poor oiling. Other things can cause oiling issues that result in scored cylinders besides oil pressure. What I am really trying to understand:

Is the oil pressure dropping to 2 bar a concern?

I race and have tracked 944 based cars for many many years. Last year I was told by somebody who "knew everything about these cars" that you cannot track a 944 reliably because the #2 rod bearing WILL fail. They where so adamant that they said a 944 would never finish a ChumpCar race. Well after 4 ChumpCar races in 2016 (and many many other years of driving a 944), I have yet to experience a rod bearing failure. I know people that have, and I believe I know the mistake that leads to it, but that's not the point I am trying to make. If the oil pressure drop is known to be the problem, then it needs to be addressed, but you should have seen the signs of a problem already if it is indeed the problem. Keep your oil fresh, use quality oil, keep the level properly adjusted, and even at 2 bar (28PSI!) you have adequate oiling IMHO.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by MFGJR
I'll see if i can steal a few holiday minutes to post up a pressure vs. rpm comparison. It'll probably be April before I'm on track again, with some sort of aftermarket solution. We'll see what the data says then.
Please do... I am very interested in seeing the data.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:05 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

I'll see if i can steal a few holiday minutes to post up a pressure vs. rpm comparison.
Oil pressure on the top, rpm on the bottom.

Originally Posted by PPo
Is the oil pressure dropping to 2 bar a concern?...Keep your oil fresh, use quality oil, keep the level properly adjusted, and even at 2 bar (28PSI!) you have adequate oiling IMHO.
That's the important question--is 2 bar/28psi too low? And that prompts another question, possibly impacting the data I've presented: My gauge typically reads 5 bar at decent rpm, which would be, what, ~72psi? In its data protocol, Aim expresses oil pressure in psi, and it's topping out at 45 psi where you'd expect 72... is Aim's calibration off? Does anyone else have reliable ool pressure readings in psi?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:50 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

That's the important question--is 2 bar/28psi too low? And that prompts another question, possibly impacting the data I've presented: My gauge typically reads 5 bar at decent rpm, which would be, what, ~72psi? In its data protocol, Aim expresses oil pressure in psi, and it's topping out at 45 psi where you'd expect 72... is Aim's calibration off? Does anyone else have reliable ool pressure readings in psi?
Interesting thread here, especially post #23, re: location of the sensor.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...weepers-2.html

And, I'm beginning to suspect that even though Aim labels oil pressure as psi, it's really bar without the decimal, i.e., what looks like 45 psi might well be 4.5 bar (see that graph at the aforementioned post in the other thread). I'll post in the data acquisition subforum about that, and will edit this thread if I can nail that issue down.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Great data. There does appear to be an RPM correlation though which actually makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 AM
91K-Man

Aim data can be in either PSI or bar. User defined
Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Great data. There does appear to be an RPM correlation though which actually makes a whole lot more sense.
Good observation - this is typical for engine driven oil pumps.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:21 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

There does appear to be an RPM correlation though which actually makes a whole lot more sense.
At first glace, it appears so, as the pressure drops generally occur at the slower turns which are inherently (at least for me) lower rpm. But take a closer look and check if you still see it. The drops are often happening where rpm is rising (e.g., T5) and you'll see max oil pressure elsewhere at similar rpm to where some of the drops occur.

Originally Posted by 91K-Man
Aim data can be in either PSI or bar. User defined
I have it set to psi in the protocol, but a max pressure of 45psi on the logger vs. 5 bar on the gauge doesn't make sense, whereas 4.5 bar does. When I get back home, I can do a comparison using both the bar and psi setting, and see if that sheds any light.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
I've recommended and used the Mantis pan for the past 5 years or so and never had an issue. The extra capacity as well as the windage tray are very key in my opinion.
When you install the Mantis deep sump on a 996, do you cut holes in the windage tray to clear the swirl pots or do you upgrade to the 997 style oil return tubes that don't require changes to the tray?
Old 12-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

We have installed it both ways. Upgrading to the 997 part is more cost effective if I remember correctly it's about $25 for each part. Cutting the windage tray is a bit of a pain but it does work well.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

You might look at this one. Easy to install and works well.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/91...otorsport.html
Old 12-03-2016, 06:25 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

You might look at this one. Easy to install and works well.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/91...otorsport.html
That FVD unit looks like about the best built unit.

A lot more $$ than just going with the X51 baffle, but probably comes down to penny wise and dollar foolish

Thanks for link, now I have to add that to my wish list.

Quick Reply: 996 Oiling upgrade for fast DE use