Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O'Connell-Long incident at MRLS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

No, its not like there was any room for JO to change his approach.. its a classic pass on the outside and hope that the competitor rolls over and gives you the corner.... it bit him hard, AND it created a situation for WC officials to make a bad call. I know punts... and this was no "punt"
Old 10-11-2016, 06:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
https://youtu.be/hG1XkUN7K7Q?t=3m

Fast forward to 3:00 for the incident.

If I were Pat, I wouldn't have trusted Johnny O to do the right thing if he were on my left rear quarter anywhere CLOSE to corner entry...
Agree 100%. PL needed to make racing room. I suspect that had he done so his momentum would have kept him out front.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

JO made a mistake on the prior corner that allowed PL to get ahead. Doesn't give JO the right to drive into his rear fender. Avoidable contact was the right call.

Agree PL never should've trusted JO to do the right thing. Congrats to Alvaro Parente for being there to capitalize.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
JO made a mistake on the prior corner that allowed PL to get ahead. Doesn't give JO the right to drive into his rear fender. Avoidable contact was the right call.

Agree PL never should've trusted JO to do the right thing. Congrats to Alvaro Parente for being there to capitalize.
Agreed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

This
Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 AM
joeykid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat Long was racing for the Championship. He had JO, passed him on his mistake. JO should have moved out of the way as the battle for the championship was more important than his ego. JO blew that corner trying to get back, his trajectory was going off track if he didn't hit the Porsche. What an Asshat! A decent guy you race with all year, knows it's your championship, could have lifted. That's a guy you see in the paddock all the time. He's always been an animal, hopefully it's his last year.

Last edited by joeykid; 10-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

For you, VR!
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you, VR!
It's almost like you know him or something 😜
Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny made a desperate move to save the race win. Pat was clear of him entering the brake zone. Dive bomb all the way. Tough situation for Pat, he turned in because he was ahead, when instead he should have started to move over before the braking zone to close the door.

His only other option at that point was to take the turn offline so Johnny could fit in there, so as to scrub the least amount of speed possible then give Johnny the next corner and tuck in behind. By the looks of Johnny's dive bomb though, Pat still would have gotten hit. It's a lose lose for Pat.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

From Pat Long's website:

“I raced Johnny at the end of the race and I expected racing room and didn’t get it. For him not to be in the championship hunt and to be the deciding factor is a difficult situation. In every scenario there are two drivers that make a decision. There was no intention on my part to try and battle Johnny the entire race – my focus was on the championship and the two times I was alongside or ahead of him, it came down to his mistakes.

He continued, “This is why we all love this sport, it is action packed. I am very proud of Wright Motorsports and we appreciate the support of Porsche Consulting and all of our partners. We will come back stronger from this. In the end there is sport and there is integrity and we walk away proud of how we handled both situations today.”
Old 10-12-2016, 12:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

A class act for sure.
However, knowing what was at stake and seeing JO in the side mirror coming, it wouldn't have taken more than a foot or two to give him room.. (cheap insurance). he didnt blow the corner, JO just didint want to give it up that easy, which would be more than expected in a pro race (even a club race). Ive seen it, in that corner, 100s of times myself. Now, if i was JO, i would have reacted and been on the inside burm and avoided the contact (because i have to fix my car myself.. but that's just me. )
Old 10-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

For you, VR!
Oh my...

Far right !!!!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

A picture is worth a thousands words. PL was clear, and in the second pic you can clearly see JO has started his dive-bomb and is still on the rear quarter of PL.

JO's debrief on Sportscar365 was a passive-aggressive nod at payback from 8 years ago, IMO. Which is even more sad, given the fact that he just cost somebody the championship. There is no reason to bring up a story from 8 years ago, in a totally different series, in a totally different car, in a totally different circumstance. Other than the same track, it literally has nothing to do with this situation.

Let's face it, Caddy has been a FULL factory effort for countless years racing amongst a bunch of privateers, some with sprinkles of factory support. They still try to bully everybody around because they can afford to do so, despite their diminishing political weight in the series, due to SRO guidance. I'm glad to see that era coming to an end. No more winning championships pretty much because of launch control, against a bunch of tuner shops.

That said Michael Cooper showed class by not divebombing Alvaro on the last lap when he could have easily pressed the situation. I guess Michael hasn't been around long enough to feel he was entitled to that corner....yet.

Alvaro is a stud, no doubt about it. If anybody else was to win the title, I wanted it to be him.

Funny. One driver's door slam is another's dive bomb. I see PL ahead at turn-in and a lot of room on the inside that JO could've used instead of punting PL. I also see PL move out slightly heading to the apex when he likely saw JO about make contact.

And yes, nobody owns any corner.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Alvaro IS a stud...
Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Fight'n Irish

Quick Reply: O'Connell-Long incident at MRLS?