Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O'Connell-Long incident at MRLS?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts
Default O'Connell-Long incident at MRLS?

Anyone have a video clip of the last lap incident. JO just got penalized and loses the win. lets critique it ourselves...
Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Smh...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-10-2016, 12:16 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a move I would have went for in a NASA race P Long had to have been pretty pissed.
Two of the most competitive drivers neither of them is known for giving a inch of track up, on the last lap of the last race of the year, it's going to be a battle. I did really want to see P. Long win the championship.

Last edited by z06801; 10-10-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

is it on line?
Old 10-10-2016, 02:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Fast forward to 3:00 for the incident.

If I were Pat, I wouldn't have trusted Johnny O to do the right thing if he were on my left rear quarter anywhere CLOSE to corner entry...
Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
https://youtu.be/hG1XkUN7K7Q?t=3m

Fast forward to 3:00 for the incident.

If I were Pat, I wouldn't have trusted Johnny O to do the right thing if he were on my left rear quarter anywhere CLOSE to corner entry...
THANKS for posting it.
Hey, having been in more races, with more yahoos in that corner than most anyone, i can clearly say, sure, not the best of moves, but thats pro racing ... Long left just enough space for JO to get on his door... he should have expected it and seen it. if you take the school line there in close competition, you BETTER be drving your side mirror .
you also need to know your competition.... JO at the corkscrew in 2015? on the outside of the ferarri, collects them both? All Pat needed to do was give a little room , to avoid contact OR what i would have done was drive narrow to the entrance and early apex it. its a great turn for that , with the banking.
instead, what happens.. you cry about someone being too aggressive? lose two spots?? that was not a characteristic Long corner for sure. too bad!
EDIT:
sorry, just watched it again .. It was JO who was the victum here. Long was passing on the outside, JO was driving protect low line. Long didnt own that corner , JO did. Long should have given more room as he didn't complete that pass. he would have probably ended up ahead of JO and NOT lost those few spots. JO did the right thing...
you just cant turn down on someone and insist on the apex when someone is that close down low and it is YOU making the pass.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree: Long turned down on him, should have left him room and probably could have made the pass stick.

But can we please do away with any terminology along the lines of "owning the corner". Nobody OWNS a corner - if there's another car entering a corner with overlap, regardless of who has the nose in front, you either leave room or it ends up in tears, just like this did.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

And regardless of whether he owned the corner, I thought I understood that Long didn't HAVE to pass JO with the championship on the line - he just had to keep the other car behind him? (Though yes, it would have helped.) So maybe just not the best decision made in the heat of battle ...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Agree: Long turned down on him, should have left him room and probably could have made the pass stick. But can we please do away with any terminology along the lines of "owning the corner". Nobody OWNS a corner - if there's another car entering a corner with overlap, regardless of who has the nose in front, you either leave room or it ends up in tears, just like this did.
Agree totally
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the caddy have thay much more brake or did Johnny blow the brake marker and use pat as the brakes?...seems to close awfully fast
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Does the caddy have thay much more brake or did Johnny blow the brake marker and use pat as the brakes?...seems to close awfully fast
it's simple.. as was said, no one owns the corner, especially Pat in this case. he was on the outside, trying to complete a pass on a last lap situation. foolish to think he "owned it" by turning down on a car that is so close. Any reasonable driver would expect JonnyO to be there on the inside. its not a matter of more or less "brake". any car in that field can do what JO did. you do in deeper and brake more....not the fastest way around the turn, but effective to hold a position and be in better position for following turn.

In fact, all Pat needed to do is give 1 more foot of room and he would have avoided contact. he might not have ended up in the best position for the following turn, but he ALSO wouldnt have been off in the gravel two wheels, losing 3 spots .
The officials were WAY off base here . JO was not doing anything wrong, he was totally clean here. pat slammed the door and got bit.. its that simple.

Agree: Long turned down on him, should have left him room and probably could have made the pass stick.

But can we please do away with any terminology along the lines of "owning the corner". Nobody OWNS a corner - if there's another car entering a corner with overlap, regardless of who has the nose in front, you either leave room or it ends up in tears, just like this did.
I agree, but the term was used for how patrick acted. he acted as if he owned the corner.. your right ... no one owns the corner, so dont drive it like you do. this is not characteristic of his driving and decision making, but he got it wrong that time.. no one's perfect.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

+1,000,000
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
That is the question... If Pat hadn't been there, might Johnny O have blown the corner?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That is the question... If Pat hadn't been there, might Johnny O have blown the corner?
god no!!! Ive been in that identical situation many many times.... it's what you do if you are in the inside getting passed on the outside. you can clearly see his speed relative to Pat, taking the school line and attempting "own the turn". that turn is REAL forgiving too. LOTS of banking on the exit. he was totally in the cars envelope .
+1,000,000
if you look at the context of how i used the term, it's appropriate. no one owns a turn.. but if you act like you , this is what can happen.. make better sense?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Funny. One driver's door slam is another's dive bomb. I see PL ahead at turn-in and a lot of room on the inside that JO could've used instead of punting PL. I also see PL move out slightly heading to the apex when he likely saw JO about make contact.

And yes, nobody owns any corner.
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O'Connell-Long incident at MRLS?