Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another run at Lime Rock in the GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:36 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 403 Posts

Curious to hear from OP or any others with GT4 experience at LRP. I was there last week and found one of the nannie lights lighting each time I crested the uphill. Did you/anyone experience the same? (Not being able to look at the light, I am not exactly sure which one it was and I don't recall it ever happening in my 981CS.)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Why are you running with the nannies on?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:04 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Two simple reasons: (1) Too chicken not to, for now; and (2) just third day on a track with the GT4 and want to gain more experience with it before going more raw. (Also, have just over 20 track days total, so trying to gain more general experience before dialing up the risk quotient.) Perhaps if I can spend some time in the car in a more controlled environment, e.g. skid pad or the like, w/o the nannies it would accelerate my interest in trying it on track.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 09-18-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Turn off the nannies and driver under control with an instructor sitting next to you. All the nannies are going to do is mask your mistakes. You will gain false confidence that potentially will increase the chances of costly mistake when/if you turn them off.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:19 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I can help you out next time I'm there with SCDA.
Best I could do when I was trying to find out seconds, was to be a passenger.
That car should be under limit on Cups 2.
Is just so hard for those last tents.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Two simple reasons: (1) Too chicken not to, for now; and (2) just third day on a track with the GT4 and want to gain more experience with it before going more raw. (Also, have just over 20 track day's total, so trying to gain more general experience before dialing up the risk quotient.) Perhaps if I can spend some time in the car in a more controlled environment, e.g. skid pad or the like, w/o the nannies it would accelerate my interest in trying it on track.
Keep your Stability Control on if you don't want to wad up your $100k car - especially with only 20 track days. Why take the risk on a track like Lime Rock where most of the excursions will mean that you WILL hit something? There is nothing wrong with running with Stability Control on and still have a great learning experience. Turning it off for an Auto-X or Skid pad is a great idea.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

How intrusive is stability control on GT4? Is it something that you turn fast laps with it on but not having to intervene? On my E46M3, its way too intrusive to run with it on. However, my understanding that on Porsche that you can still turn very fast laps with it on.

Another question that I have with respect to LRP...how much of the curbs can you use? I have never driven there but I don't see many cars in the videos that I have watched riding up on the inside curbs.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
How intrusive is stability control on GT4? Is it something that you turn fast laps with it on but not having to intervene? On my E46M3, its way too intrusive to run with it on. However, my understanding that on Porsche that you can still turn very fast laps with it on.

Another question that I have with respect to LRP...how much of the curbs can you use? I have never driven there but I don't see many cars in the videos that I have watched riding up on the inside curbs.
No, the GT4 ESC is not near as intrusive as the BMW. The technology has improved substantially since then, with higher sampling rates and a better algorithm that allows more slip and movement before "coming in." Instead of an engine power "cut" in the BMW, the GT4 relies on a variety of stability measures including actuating rear brakes to "pull" the rear back in line. Let's just put it this way, in the Trophy East ClubSport East series, GT4 CS owners are required to run ESC...

The profile of the curbs at LRP is relatively friendly as long as you don't get up on the "table", or higher up on the curb. Best to "kiss" them, not hit them. Makes a BIG difference if you're ON throttle or OFF when you touch them, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

My suggestions:

Bigbend
T1 - clip the flat part of the concrete curbing by about 2 - 3 inches
T2 - depending on your car you wan to butt up against the concrete curbing but not go up on it - take all of the track out curbing
Lefthander
T3 - Take all of the inside curbing
Righthander
T4 - butt up only against the lower part of the curbing (don't hit the high part) - take all of the track out curbing
NoName Straight
Stay away from the curbing on the right by about half a car width
Uphill
- butt up only against the lower part of the concrete curbing
Westbend
- butt up only against the concrete curbing (there are tire marks there) - use all of the track out curbing
Downhill
- butt up only against the concrete curbing - use all of the track out curbing

Old 09-18-2016, 11:24 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,352 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Keep your Stability Control on if you don't want to wad up your $100k car - especially with only 20 track days. Why take the risk on a track like Lime Rock where most of the excursions will mean that you WILL hit something? There is nothing wrong with running with Stability Control on and still have a great learning experience. Turning it off for an Auto-X or Skid pad is a great idea.
Having been there myself, albeit with a Cayman S not a GT4, I agree 100% with Frank.

Going from a 944 to the Cayman I needed time to feel comfortable. When I got to the point where PSM was holding me back I turned it off and that was that.

Leave stability control on until you feel comfortable with the car on track. Skid pad and auto cross is a great way to learn your car without risk. Just don't use stability control as a crutch for too long and get some coaching.

The only track in the Northeast worse than LRP for lack of runoff and potential for damage is probably Palmer.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Frank--Thanks for your thoughts. Believe it or not, I think we met once but weren't introduced. Remember the track walk at the Glen a few months ago when we sat in the car waiting to go and never went? I was in the back seat of your Q7 with coach Peter. Next time I'll introduce myself.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frank--Thanks for your thoughts. Believe it or not, I think we met once but weren't introduced. Remember the track walk at the Glen a few months ago when we sat in the car waiting to go and never went? I was in the back seat of your Q7 with coach Peter. Next time I'll introduce myself.
Ahh - YES! The track walk that never happened.... Let's catch-up next time.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 191 Posts

Curious to hear from OP or any others with GT4 experience at LRP. I was there last week and found one of the nannie lights lighting each time I crested the uphill. Did you/anyone experience the same? (Not being able to look at the light, I am not exactly sure which one it was and I don't recall it ever happening in my 981CS.)
Yes--the light flashes at the crest of the Uphill because of wheelspin. Hopefully it doesn't flash prior to the crest of the Uphill, because that would suggest the tail is stepping out halfway up the hill, which could be a big problem. I'm obviously still learning, but my understanding is that the compression of the car at the bottom of the Uphill allows you to complete your turn-in, and then you get the car straight prior to cresting the hill. As you crest the hill, you should be at full throttle, which will cause brief wheelspin as the car gets light. As long as your steering wheel is straight at that point, and there's no side loading on the car, it should be fine and expected that there's straight-line rear wheelspin.

I also had some activation of stability control at times in the slower portions of the track, such as Big Bend T1-2 and the Left-hander, but those are sections of the track where you probably want a little bit of a slide or rotation anyway, and you use that to your advantage as long as you can control it. Again, probably 15-20 days at Lime Rock and I'm still learning...
Old 09-18-2016, 12:47 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Two simple reasons: (1) Too chicken not to, for now; and (2) just third day on a track with the GT4 and want to gain more experience with it before going more raw. (Also, have just over 20 track days total, so trying to gain more general experience before dialing up the risk quotient.) Perhaps if I can spend some time in the car in a more controlled environment, e.g. skid pad or the like, w/o the nannies it would accelerate my interest in trying it on track.
I think those are good, legitimate reasons. I understand what winders is saying--you don't want to forever go with traction control/stability control activated, because it will inhibit your learning and development--but initially, I think it's smart to leave it on. I got to the point with my E90 M3 that I would run at Lime Rock and NJMP comfortably with all nannies off. It was a relatively large car, but very easy to control and predictable. I feel like the GT4 is more of a knife-edge kind of car, and I'm not at the point of comfort yet that I was with the M3. So the nannies stay on for now.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing a skidpad/autocross morning with SCDA at Lime Rock. It sounds like LRP is close to you, and SCDA does these a few times a year. They'll do skidpad/autocross training in the morning, and then run a DE event on the main track in the afternoon. I've done it twice with them--once in the M3, and once in my 991 Carrera S, and it was invaluable. Gets you much more comfortable with controlling the car, inducing slides and recovering, all at relatively low speeds with virtually no risk. The infield, dedicated autocross course at LRP is an absolute blast.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSTACH
I can help you out next time I'm there with SCDA.
Best I could do when I was trying to find out seconds, was to be a passenger.
That car should be under limit on Cups 2.
Is just so hard for those last tents.
If you're there in October, look for me in the paddock. I'd love to ride shotgun with you.

Quick Reply: Another run at Lime Rock in the GT4