DE in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Really? When else can you consistently step over the limit in every corner in a DE and not get tossed out. Racing in the rain is also fun but the risk does go way up since you have to worry about everybody else. Not directed at you but if you can't drive in the rain, you can't really drive well.
^^^^ Bingo!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Really? When else can you consistently step over the limit in every corner in a DE and not get tossed out. Racing in the rain is also fun but the risk does go way up since you have to worry about everybody else. Not directed at you but if you can't drive in the rain, you can't really drive well.
You might re-read my comments. I said "Driving MY car on the track while it is raining".

It's not that I cant or wont drive in the rain, its that MY car is horsesh$% on track. ZERO (ABSOLUTE ZERO) traction ANYWHERE on track. Last rain session I attempted (4 years ago), my instructor continued to harp on the fact there was more grip than I was using (I was not able to go over 25 MPH anywhere on track without feeling the backend loosen up and want to swap ends). This was on a 95 e36m3 with near new Sumitumo HTRZ3's. After 3 laps, I finally asked him to take the drivers seat and show me how I could "find" the traction surface, and within 2/3 of a lap, he had spun TWICE.

Once we got back into the pits, he was enthusiastic with the fact that I had somehow done 3 laps without spinning and how good of a job I was doing....

My car just BLOWS. End of story. Tried Continental DW's in St Louis in the wet with the same story. Alignment is perfect, excepting a small caster change between left and right side, so if it is a car issue, not going to spend gobs of money to try and figure out with all of the parts replaced to this point and with how amazingly neutral it drives once dry!

Highway driving in the rain is no problem, go figure...
Old 06-29-2016, 11:44 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
You might re-read my comments. I said "Driving MY car on the track while it is raining".

It's not that I cant or wont drive in the rain, its that MY car is horsesh$% on track. ZERO (ABSOLUTE ZERO) traction ANYWHERE on track. Last rain session I attempted (4 years ago), my instructor continued to harp on the fact there was more grip than I was using (I was not able to go over 25 MPH anywhere on track without feeling the backend loosen up and want to swap ends). This was on a 95 e36m3 with near new Sumitumo HTRZ3's. After 3 laps, I finally asked him to take the drivers seat and show me how I could "find" the traction surface, and within 2/3 of a lap, he had spun TWICE.

Once we got back into the pits, he was enthusiastic with the fact that I had somehow done 3 laps without spinning and how good of a job I was doing....

My car just BLOWS. End of story. Tried Continental DW's in St Louis in the wet with the same story. Alignment is perfect, excepting a small caster change between left and right side, so if it is a car issue, not going to spend gobs of money to try and figure out with all of the parts replaced to this point and with how amazingly neutral it drives once dry!

Highway driving in the rain is no problem, go figure...
Perhaps it is the track. An E36 M3 on Sumitomo HTRZIIIs is just fine in the rain at TWS, as the first video posted here shows. The second video in that link from earlier in the thread, is another E36 M3 on Motons with NT-05s in the wet. It did really well when there was a crap ton of water on the track.

I do know that locally, MSRH is much trickier in the wet, but it is drivable. Why your car is so bad in the wet is a mystery to me.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the BMW set up for a dry track with sway bar, compression, and rebound set stiff you can try setting everything back down to full soft in the wet.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Perhaps it is the track. An E36 M3 on Sumitomo HTRZIIIs is just fine in the rain at TWS, as the first video posted here shows. The second video in that link from earlier in the thread, is another E36 M3 on Motons with NT-05s in the wet. It did really well when there was a crap ton of water on the track.

I do know that locally, MSRH is much trickier in the wet, but it is drivable. Why your car is so bad in the wet is a mystery to me.

-Mike
I agree that it is not an inherent e36 issue, but specific to my car. Could be a previous accident from way back when during the PO's ownership. In the 7 years I have owned it, never an issue during street driving. But a DEFINITE problem at Hallett and Gateway. No other track experience in the rain in this car....

Have tried different shock settings, and different full tread street tires, also swapped suspension parts to try and repair the caster difference side to side, but I am at the point that it is just going to be sitting on the sidelines for me when raining. The car is sooo much fun otherwise, I am not going to dig much deeper.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:02 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran Direzza Star Spec's at Fontana in April when we had a lot of rain and they were pretty good.
About 1/2 of our sessions it was raining or at least a light drizzle.

It actually was a lot of fun and it forces you to be very smooth.
Nothing like going 120 into the banked turns in the rain !

Quick Reply: DE in the rain