Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short shift to drive faster on track...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016 | 08:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 555 Posts

Short shifting to 4th in T2 and T16 at COTA make it easier to explore the grip limits I've found. There is too much sensitivity in power and brake in lower gears go through there, and my foot is not sensitive enough in control.
Old 06-23-2016 | 09:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,731 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Short shifting to 4th in T2 and T16 at COTA make it easier to explore the grip limits I've found. There is too much sensitivity in power and brake in lower gears go through there, and my foot is not sensitive enough in control.
Absolutely. And others like Lally and Long and Keen do the same things in the same places for the same reasons...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2016 | 09:27 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I believe that segment is from "Weekend of a Champion" and he was having breakfast with Roman Polanski who was filming said documentary. It was re-released in the past few years with another 20 mins of footage of Sir Jackie and Polanski talking in present day in the same Monaco hotel suite that that breakfast took place in! I believe it's still on Netflix and a great flick.
Good flick, except I get creeped out by Polanski.
Old 06-23-2016 | 09:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Folks - I have done a clean-up of this thread. Arrogance, posturing and "making it personal" will not be tolerated. I have had enough a seeing threads ruined by one person!
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Wow, got 4 "This message is hidden because mark kibort is on your ignore list." in 90 minutes!
Damn! Bob sanitized this thread before I had a chance to see the muck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-23-2016 | 10:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

+1,000!

Most folks feet aren't...
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:11 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The gearing is different between our cars, but T10 at COTA puts me right on the shift point. I short shift for that. Also, as you say, definitely short shift for T16 to be able to avoid a shift in the carousel.
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:18 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Damn! Bob sanitized this thread before I had a chance to see the muck!
And he did you a favor! You're smarter for having not seen it!

Judging by the quantity and speed of This message is hidden because mark kibort is on your ignore list it looked like Kirbort was playing with himself. I'm guessing 750-1000 word essays on how wrong everybody is.

Bob, .

-Mike
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:24 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Back on topic, another place I do this and instruct as well is T8 CCW at TWS. Even with my puny 250 or so horses, I can't use all the power in 4th anyway in T9. There is a natural tendency here to downshift to third, but all that happens is one has to be extra ginger with the throttle in T9 and then has to shift before T10 only to go back to 3rd at the T10 entry. Did I say the chute between T9 and T10 is really short?

The added benefit is if one keeps the car really, really balanced entering T8 you can go through T8 and T9 with your hair on fire. The biggest hazard is being behind somebody and not ending up in their trunk or fanbelt if its a 911.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Folks - I have done a clean-up of this thread. Arrogance, posturing and "making it personal" will not be tolerated. I have had enough a seeing threads ruined by one person!

Thankyou
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surlynkid
The gearing is different between our cars, but T10 at COTA puts me right on the shift point. I short shift for that. Also, as you say, definitely short shift for T16 to be able to avoid a shift in the carousel.
Yep forgot about that one. It's a great place to up shift in pretty much every car!
Old 06-24-2016 | 01:28 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 177 Posts

Turn 11 at the glen is right between gears in a SPB. Go through it in 4th and the engine lugs a little mid-turn. Downshift to third and you over slow a bit and have to shift right at track out but the difference in speed at the end of the straight is negligible from what I can see in my data. Third feels faster at exit but it doesn't seem to be.
Old 06-24-2016 | 06:42 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Short shifting in the wet with standing water. From another thread. Finds a lot of time on the lap.

Old 06-24-2016 | 09:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
Turn 11 at the glen is right between gears in a SPB. Go through it in 4th and the engine lugs a little mid-turn. Downshift to third and you over slow a bit and have to shift right at track out but the difference in speed at the end of the straight is negligible from what I can see in my data. Third feels faster at exit but it doesn't seem to be.
I think maybe it sounds faster. But with the added grip in 11 now, one should be able to carry a bit more speed in which should help with the lugging a bit in 4th
Old 06-24-2016 | 11:22 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I knew you would dis Ross Bentley as you've done so many other people and muck up my thread.

Thanks for that.

Also, shifting at redline is only useful if power peaks at redline, which is not the case in most automobile applications, and only if you are on a straightaway.
Shifting at redline for most all cars, (race and street) will give you the most acceleration forces over a speed range for both the gear you redline in and the gear you end up shifting into.
Ross miss spoke on his video, that shifting at redline is just "noise" in most cases. this is not true. as shown by the thrust curves below, you can see this is not true. its a common mistake to think that just because power is going down after redline, or engine torque is falling that shifting earlier helps. it doesnt BECAUSE, the HP in the next gear at anywhere besides RPM will 99% of the time, be much less. this is a fact and is easily proved.

to your last point about shifting at reline being "useful" only if power peaks happen at redline, is not really true as well. Anytime there is a greater thrust force at redline vs the post shift RPM, you need to take it to redline to optimize forces.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, Bentley, Krause, and I (among many others like Jackie Stewart) make our living spreading disinformation

Go pollute a different thread Mark
Actually, Bentley's video is the only thing im providing clarity for. I know you are not intending to spread "disinformation" because it is a topic that can be a little confusing.
You are absolutely right about not redlining, or even shortshifting, during turns, corners, and traction limited conditions such as rain. ive found this very useful in my racing experiences.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
my apologies for making the corrections using the wrong light. Ive made a few here that just stay on topic and provide information that is correct and can help anyone trying to take their car to the limit at the track on the straights.

Below are the thrust curves that have all the answers for most all race cars you will see on the track. Notice at all redline levels, the thrust force is greater that if there was a short shift.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Short shift to drive faster on track...