Sponsored by:

SCCA GT2, will it survive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA GT2, will it survive?

Has anyone heard the news. I know it is in trouble. I heard the membership at the runoffs was saying the board should fix a problem they made that resulted i lower participation levels. Any news?
Old 10-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

I would doubt it surviving, it is just to expensive to build a car for it, and you can't get mfg support because most of the cars that are fast are not current models. Times change.

Bill Seifert

944 Race car (ITS)
Old 10-19-2003, 01:15 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the problem? as i knew it, gt 2 was really the only national class where I could ever see a Porsche!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

The not so specific answer from the competition board is the Board of Directors will decide in early December if it will survive.

If the answer is no then the question is can a 1880 lb 3.8l 911 beat a 2780 lb 5.5l corvette.

If the answer to that is yes then how do you build a 1700lb 911 (180 lb driver is included in weight).

MJR the problem is they need a certain number of participants per race to deem the class worth of competing in the national runoffs. 2.2L 911s are eligible for EP and GT3 (although you don't see nationally competetive cars) and 3.8L in GT1. If you are serious about SCCA racing and are not stuck on Porsches you can build a faster car for a lot less money ie 50-70% less money. If you get good you can get factory sponsorship for your car. Porsche is not going to sponsor an SCCA car. SCCA does not seem concerned that they will no longer have a place to race for the 40-50 people out there with 911s.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my last thread, I noticed that this years runoffs, GT2 was won by a Nissan 350Z, so I guess that some people are building late cars, I hope it survives, as, like the guy above said, it is one place you can see Porsches.

Bill Seifert
Old 10-24-2003, 03:02 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

You know, the more of this kind of stuff I hear about SCCA...the less I care about SCCA. At least here in SoCal, there are plenty of other club and vintage groups to drive with. In other words, fugg'em.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:51 AM
James Achard
Pro

Chris C. I couldn't agree more. Besides the fact they(SCCA) have the most cryptic rulebook on the planet, they have made it clear they don't want Porsche's( specifically 911's) to compete since they cleaned up in the 70's. While I admire what they do for sports car racing they really need to let go of the grudge they hold against Porsche.

Cheers, James
Old 10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

While I found the SCCA rulebook hard to digest at first I find that I do prefer the rules more than those found in PCA. It might take a little while to find what you are looking for but there is much less open to interperetation. There is none of this, "well its not specifically in the rules but that is they way we have been doing it".

While some of the people on the local level might feel like I am a rich snob for driving a Porsche they are generally friendly and enjoy watching our races. Some cheering for, some against us. Generally speaking I am a rich snob with my $30k Porsche, when they are driving their more affordable Mazdas. I was just talking to a Mazda driver and realized he was paying as much for a nice set of light Mazda wheels what I was paying for a rim half.

I am not sure they still hold a grudge against Porsche. If you look in a specific class the displacement to weight ratio is similar for most makes. Its just that the winning cars in say GT2 have the latest technology and support from Toyota. The Porsche people run in GT2 are all at least 20 years old.

A modified cup car might do OK in GT1 but you could build a Corvette for 50-70% less, and not have to send the motor to Porsche Motorsports for a $30k rebuild. Porsche is just not interested in promoting their products at this level. If they did, they would probably dominate, there would be a grudge and the rules probably would get changed.

I like SCCA because I can have a lot of good racing in Colorado. With PCA there is only one race a year in Colorado.

Quick Reply: SCCA GT2, will it survive?