Broken steel belt in tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:02 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Broken steel belt in tire?

Started picking up a pretty bad shake at 85 mph + at the track. Coincidentally grease started melting and coming out the center of the axle on my 993. Thought it was a wheel bearing.

Mechanic said to put in high temp grease but that the wobble was a busted steel band in the Nitto.

Is there an easy way to confirm the theory and if so, how to find which wheel? Something that doesn't involve 90 mph on public roads?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:54 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Started picking up a pretty bad shake at 85 mph + at the track. Coincidentally grease started melting and coming out the center of the axle on my 993. Thought it was a wheel bearing.

Mechanic said to put in high temp grease but that the wobble was a busted steel band in the Nitto.

Is there an easy way to confirm the theory and if so, how to find which wheel? Something that doesn't involve 90 mph on public roads?
Jack up wheels, one at a time, and slowly rotate tire, watching the gap between the tire and the ground (or another fixed point).

The tire with the broken belt will have a different gap at the point where it is broken.

It will also tend to be out of balance.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

ive never heard of this... you would think that the tire would be out of round too, if this was even possible.
more than likely, just out of balance, as you might have shed one of the balancing weights on the inner rim area....
however, jacking the car up is a good idea. i would actually run the car in gear with the rear of the car on jack stands if this is a rear wheel .... or even mount the front on the rear for this test. spin it up fast and see if you hear or see a vibration
Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS

have the cv joints repacked w/ Neo Syn HP Calcium grease or Crytox, I used Neo and haven't had the issue since.

I've seen broken belts on trailer tires, It looks like a knot or twisted distortion in the tread, pretty obvious when you know what to look for.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

If u have a 2nd set of rims/tires put them on and see if it wobbles at 85+ mph. If not it's the tire or the rim or both. I would try to rule out there is no flatspotting or tires that rotated around the rim which would affect the balance. Also visually check the rim for nething bent or out of round. Mike
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Taken them off and have them rebalanced? You'll find out pretty quickly if it just some lost wheel weights.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

If a belt has broken, it'll be clear when the respective wheel and tire is up off the ground and can be rotated on the axle or on a balancer. The distortion will generally be at the intersection of the sidewall and the tread. When you turn the wheel and look closely (or better yet, run your hands over the tread or rotate the tire with your hand stationary just above the tread), it'll be a pronounced lump or big, smooth blister.

It's more common than you might think.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shop just called. Busted steel belt. Trying to figure out if it was the new tire or old one now.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Shop just called. Busted steel belt. Trying to figure out if it was the new tire or old one now.
That's good you got the answer.. hard to believe, but heck, anything is possible. wonder if that vibration was what was pounding the rear axle grease out the seal.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The grease seems to have melted. Street spec. Replacing it with track spec stuff. Vibration was prob 3 laps as I tried to diagnose what was going on.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
The grease seems to have melted. Street spec. Replacing it with track spec stuff. Vibration was prob 3 laps as I tried to diagnose what was going on.
glad it was a tire. wheel bearing grease is always a challenge . i tried the redline synthetic stuff once and at the track, became liquefied and ran out the seal cover. back to the litium based heavy duty high temp grease you get at local auto stores. seems to work ok
Old 06-01-2016, 12:24 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

May be a tread splice issue. Trying to figure out admin traveling and not near the car.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:52 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Broken tire belt

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If a belt has broken, it'll be clear when the respective wheel and tire is up off the ground and can be rotated on the axle or on a balancer. The distortion will generally be at the intersection of the sidewall and the tread. When you turn the wheel and look closely (or better yet, run your hands over the tread or rotate the tire with your hand stationary just above the tread), it'll be a pronounced lump or big, smooth blister.

It's more common than you might think.
This is what my tire (Hoosier) looked like with a broken belt.
This type of stagger does not work

Greg
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
This is what my tire (Hoosier) looked like with a broken belt.
This type of stagger does not work

Greg
thats an ugly tire right there!

Quick Reply: Broken steel belt in tire?