Sponsored by:

Alonzo crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Alonzo crash

Just a testament to how safe they've made these tracks and cars. Back in the day that car would have undoubtedly been on fire and he would have had no shot at getting out of it. Kudos to Bernie and F1 for their safety.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt! Glad he appears ok.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:07 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Just a testament to how safe they've made these tracks and cars. Back in the day that car would have undoubtedly been on fire and he would have had no shot at getting out of it. Kudos to Bernie and F1 for their safety.
Actually we should be saying kudos to the late Sid Walkins. It was Sid who spear headed making the sport safer. But at the end of the day, it does not matter who we commemorate. The important thing is that Alonso walked away from a crash and a few decades ago would have taken his life. With that said I am not so sure the new safety roll bar or canopy they are talking about introducing soon has been properly vetted. They better make sure that whatever system they come up with, that getting the drivers out of the car quickly in case of a fire (yes the cars can still catch on fire) is possible.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Actually we should be saying kudos to the late Sid Walkins. It was Sid who spear headed making the sport safer. But at the end of the day, it does not matter who we commemorate. The important thing is that Alonso walked away from a crash and a few decades ago would have taken his life. With that said I am not so sure the new safety roll bar or canopy they are talking about introducing soon has been properly vetted. They better make sure that whatever system they come up with, that getting the drivers out of the car quickly in case of a fire (yes the cars can still catch on fire) is possible.
You mean like Kimi today?

That was a scary crash - amazing to see Alonso walk away from it. 20 years ago we would have been writing his obituary.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

The ALO crash was really scary and I was so pleased to see that he appears OK.
I think GUT drifted a small amount to his left while adjusting his steering wheel dials under braking, but it seemed more like a misjudgment on ALO's part.

Now, if he had that sandal halo on would it have hampered his getting out of the car? I honestly have no idea so I'm not trying to start some poop.

It was such a crazy crash. Wow.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
With that said I am not so sure the new safety roll bar or canopy they are talking about introducing soon has been properly vetted. They better make sure that whatever system they come up with, that getting the drivers out of the car quickly in case of a fire (yes the cars can still catch on fire) is possible.
Originally Posted by Coochas
Now, if he had that sandal halo on would it have hampered his getting out of the car? I honestly have no idea so I'm not trying to start some poop.
It's even harder to get out after traumatic brain injury.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Green & Silver
Advanced

It was miraculous seeing him walking away from that! At first look, I wondered where the rest of the car was. Then I realized that the pile of rubble that was the size of a John Deere lawn tractor was the whole thing. That could've ended much, much worse.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:01 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Now, if he had that sandal halo on would it have hampered his getting out of the car?
I thought that very thing when they showed him just pulling himself from the car. Took a little bit before safety/med was there. This type of incident is something they have to consider as look toward increased head safety for the drivers.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

From a safety standpoint, the halo is a good idea. Don't know if it would have saved Jules, but maybe. For sure it would have saved the driver that died a few years back when he was struck by a loose wheel.

I was stunned to see the driver, that turned out to be FA, climbing right out of that mangle pile of rubble. Even more shocked when they showed the replay. Nasty crash. Debris everywhere.

I say it was a racing incident. Has anyone heard the official call?

Here is the link to the official verdict.

Last edited by paradisenb; 03-20-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

We all respect Alonso and don't seem to want to criticize him since he took the brunt of the crash, but c'mon, he obviously misjudged when they would have to start braking (they were entering the braking zone), and he literally drove over Gutierrez, with his right wheel going over the back of Gutierrez's left. He admitted he was trying to draft behind him, but he forgot there was a turn up ahead. It wasn't even close. And he ruined Haas's day as Gutierrez and Grosjean both were ahead of him.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
From a safety standpoint, the halo is a good idea. Don't know if it would have saved Jules, but maybe. For sure it would have saved the driver that died a few years back when he was struck by a loose wheel.

I was stunned to see the driver, that turned out to be FA, climbing right out of that mangle pile of rubble. Even more shocked when they showed the replay. Nasty crash. Debris everywhere.

I say it was a racing incident. Has anyone heard the official call?

Here is the link to the official verdict.
I believe Jules' TBI was from diffuse axonal injury which is related to massive deceleration. Jules hit an immovable object (that wrecker). I can't imagine anything that could have prevented his brain from damage.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

We have the Skype tv feed in Canada this year......Brundle et al didnt know there was another car involved until they had a closer look.

I watched Senna, Ratzenberg die after the accidents at Monza, we almost lost Barrachelo also.........today was almost another; so happy to see FA walk.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Picture of the year right there ...

Quick Reply: Alonzo crash