Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

My personal experience...

I still have scars (40years later) from a poly undershirt. When I was a kid, I reached over a candle and caught my shirt on fire... The cotton shirt quickly extinguished itself, but the poly undershirt I was wearing melted and fused to my arm...
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Just bought a suit. Went with a better model as opposed to entry price.... If you are going to so it, dont go half way, right ? So, I'm now officially in.
what model did you get?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Would love to see a rough gauge of which suits are "wearable oven mitts" to "usable" to "top of the line" to the extent those rankings don't mirror sort by price. Or, if they do mirror that, where the dividing lines are.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:32 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
FYI....Here's another test I found on fire exposure. They used a manikin when testing which has some good results...

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpub...12348dpi72.pdf
Eesh. Nice find!

For you guys buying suits, ELange0322 and others are spot on. Don't go for entry level. You'll be wishing you spent more money. My old entry level stuff is now my "winter gear". It's WAY thicker than the better stuff.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by C-gt3
you guys are scaring the crap out of me...LOL...
ive been scared straight a few times in life and im totally convinced and im buyin some Traqgear!
whats the best light weight suit for hot weather?
Ha, thank you! Once you get used to wearing the right stuff, it won't be big deal and you'll feel weird without it. For the suit, they are expensive, but worth it to get a premium model.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Just bought a suit. Went with a better model as opposed to entry price.... If you are going to so it, don't go half way, right ? So, I'm now officially in.
I see what you did - your picture has me in the background in my racer suit.
Which is an OMP One Evo. All suits are warm but this one is relatively light and is comfortable - I like it a lot. Good choice
I REALLY like the cool shirt system. Wasn't planning on it for the build ('hey, I'm not a racer' ) but Spencer convinced me to at least plumb and wire the car for it. But when I picked up the car the entire system was installed (once you've plumbed and wired there's not much else to buy and install - basically just the ice chest). I find it really useful on hot days.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Which is an OMP One Evo. All suits are warm but this one is relatively light and is comfortable - I like it a lot. Good choice
+1 on the OMP One Evo. For the ones deciding to get a suit or to upgrade their old ones HERE is a thread I started about my research into racing suits, resulting in buying the OMP. HERE is the summary post.

Last edited by hf1; 02-23-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
+1 on the OMP One Evo. For the ones deciding to get a suit or to upgrade their old ones HERE is a thread I started about my research into racing suits, resulting in buying the OMP.
+2 on the Evo. Although I covet the new Sparco Hocotex Extrema once it comes down in price. That thing feels like a set of lightweight pjs.

Thanks for the link..good info on that thread.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
what model did you get?
I got the OMP One Evo.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
As far as being seen as a douche at a DE event, don't wear it at the drivers meeting or lunch.
I put it on once my car is out of my trailer and take it off at the end of the day. In between, the sleeves are tied around my waist "F1 style" except I have a Pirelli tire around my waist line!

I could car less about driver meetings or lunch time crowd.

OMP for me as well. Only difference is you could probably make three F1 suits with the material used in mine.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I put it on once my car is out of my trailer and take it off at the end of the day. In between, the sleeves are tied around my waist "F1 style" except I have a Pirelli tire around my waist line!

I could car less about driver meetings or lunch time crowd.

OMP for me as well. Only difference is you could probably make three F1 suits with the material used in mine.
Luigi - If you hadnt noticed from my pic, I have a bit of "Michelin Man" going on myself... Just didnt want to look like I thought I knew more than I do, and be that douche posing in the paddock. Like has been said, fire doesnt care about any of that. Its just stupid not to think of spreading the cost of a suit over the period that you think you will use it and then ask why you actually think it makes any sense not to have one. I'm borderline embarrassed that I didnt get one sooner and that it took this thread for me to get one. With shipping arrives tomorrow !! Cant wait to try it on....
Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Actually my Sparco X-lite Evo 4 is lighter and more comfortable than a pair of cargo pants and long sleeve shirt.

Safety aside, a good - light suit can be more comfortable.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Which is an OMP One Evo. All suits are warm but this one is relatively light and is comfortable - I like it a lot.

JSCOTT82 - Thanks for sharing what must remain even today a painful and visible memory. I too was badly burned as a child and I still remember the pain. And that was nothing like your own experience..

Something everyone should be aware of. Burns hurt.

Originally Posted by jscott82
My personal experience...
I still have scars (40years later) from a poly undershirt. When I was a kid, I reached over a candle and caught my shirt on fire... The cotton shirt quickly extinguished itself, but the poly undershirt I was wearing melted and fused to my arm...
Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Would love to see a rough gauge of which suits are "wearable oven mitts" to "usable" to "top of the line" to the extent those rankings don't mirror sort by price. Or, if they do mirror that, where the dividing lines are.
Let me submit "Sparco Jade" in the "oven mitt" category. Honestly no surprise you get what you pay for
Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Actually my Sparco X-lite Evo 4 is lighter and more comfortable than a pair of cargo pants and long sleeve shirt.

Safety aside, a good - light suit can be more comfortable.
I believe I have the same suit, nice and light. Though, I do not like the zippers on the shoulders instead of the front.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 02-26-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
+2 on the Evo.
+3 on the OMP. Put it on before my first run, and take it off after my last.

Winter in the pits, I leave the top up. Summer top down, tied around my waist.

Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events