Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Yep. Had a students Ferrari race car catch fire.
Ferrari's don't catch fire, they riscaldare rapidamente....
Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Ferrari's don't catch fire, they riscaldare rapidamente....
Is that Italian for depreciate? Sorry,...
Old 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Is that Italian for depreciate? Sorry,...
Sold my last one, after driving two years with no maintenance besides oil changes, for more than I paid so I guess that translation is incorrect Dave!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

As others have said... I wear it.

Before I actually got into 4-wheeled racing, I didn't bother thinking about buying one. I had to buy a suit once I got back into racing (4-wheelers this time, I'm a longtime 2-wheeler guy). For a while I didn't wear it at DE events for not wanting to be "that guy".

Then it dawned on me.... it's safety equipment. I'd rather wear it and get laughed at, than not wear it and regret it. I have it... why not use it?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone worn the OMP One Evo in hot weather?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Anyone worn the OMP One Evo in hot weather?
Oh yeah. Mine is actually a 4-layer. Its hot. Fortunately, I still have AC in the car and get to blow on my hands and feet while in staging. Once you get driving, you dont notice. You do when you get out (at least thats how impacts me). Just means that I need to have multiple shirt changes during the day and drink a ton of fluid. All this being said, now that I have it, I wouldnt think of not wearing it and very glad that I got it. Like everything else, there is some kind of trade and I dont mind being a little warm instead of possibly on fire. Hope all is well with you...
Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sold my last one, after driving two years with no maintenance besides oil changes, for more than I paid so I guess that translation is incorrect Dave!
So it's just like a Porsche? Hehehe.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Oh yeah. Mine is actually a 4-layer. Its hot. Fortunately, I still have AC in the car and get to blow on my hands and feet while in staging. Once you get driving, you dont notice. You do when you get out (at least thats how impacts me). Just means that I need to have multiple shirt changes during the day and drink a ton of fluid. All this being said, now that I have it, I wouldnt think of not wearing it and very glad that I got it. Like everything else, there is some kind of trade and I dont mind being a little warm instead of possibly on fire. Hope all is well with you...
Just rechecked mine and found it is an OMP Tecnica Evo rather than a One. 3 layer, 295 gram, and massively cooler than single layer treated cotton. I bought it as much to avoid the dangers that were becoming apparent from heat exhaustion in twin 33 minute races with up to 42 cars on track than for improved fire protection. And yes, the time spent on the dummy grid behind the pits pre-start on a hot and windless summer day in the old suit was the worst of all as I never knew when we might be called out on track so had to stay seated, helmeted, gloved and belted in a stripped Honda Integra with no fan, never mind aircon for 20 odd minutes. That day, it was so hot in the paddock that me and our other team driver at that meet were lying under a Cayenne tow vehicle like farm dogs at one point just to get proper shade. Probably a safety risk with its air suspension but it kept us sane. But since getting the above suit I seldom even find myself rolling it down to my waist, it made such a difference. I'm sure others here can better compare between decent 3 and 4-layer suits though.

The Turbo has great aircon of course, though I normally turn it off for racing once we hit the track.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-16-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Excellent points about the need to wear a suit. Once you've seen this scene (Kees Nierop abandoning his burning 961 at the 1987 Le Mans) you'll never forget it.

BTW, I believe Kees still teaches at Porsche Canada track day and winter driving events. Good guy.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 287 Posts

FYI, DE last weekend car lost control hit a tree, punctured fuel cell, caught fire and burned up pretty bad. Driver is a very good, expert in a fast car. We think maybe something broke? Was wearing full fire suit protection, got out, not hurt at all....

Wife and I always wear our fire suits...especially driving a fast, custom built race car, why wouldn't we??

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
FYI, DE last weekend car lost control hit a tree, punctured fuel cell, caught fire and burned up pretty bad. Driver is a very good, expert in a fast car. We think maybe something broke? Was wearing full fire suit protection, got out, not hurt at all....

Wife and I always wear our fire suits...especially driving a fast, custom built race car, why wouldn't we??
Glad driver is OK. Hit a tree?? What track?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

I remember when I was just starting out in Canada (Ontario) some clubs would not allow suits for HPDE. The basic rule was if it looks like a race car or you look like a race car driver, we cannot have you because it could make it harder for others to claim insurance if something happens.

At that time regular insurance 100% covered anything that qualified as a driving school, and it even qualified for educational tax credits. Not sure if that changed.

So it was rather common to hear "Let's go tell those a-holes to lose suits or GTFO". Not sure if that contributed to some attitude towards suited up drivers at HPDE.

I'm convinced now that a suit is a good idea and will get one - if I end up racing then something more robust, and if I keep HPDE-ing only then lighter (getting out of a street car takes about 3 seconds).
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Suits to hot and the idiots in charge don't allow us to run AC on and windows closed.
Opposite of Europe...
Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When its cold and nasty- suit works. FCA- required. I don't always wear mine but I find certain events I tend to grab it without thinking- Surely safety concerned- Some events seem more risky than others ?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

I hate wearing mine when temps are 100+. But I sure like it when it keeps me warm in the am with 40 - 50 temps. Love it when I see everybody getting out of their cars looking for jackets.

Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events