Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the lightest & most breathable Nomex suit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Also, the white suits are the fastest!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
How much gasoline does John Force's car hold?
IIRC they have something like 25 gallons onboard
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
They just don't get it.
"They" get it....but "they" obviously don't see it as such a big issue.

All of those teams in F1, IndyCar, ALMS, etc., that use dark suits are just idiots obviously....

Even motorcycle road racers don't shy away from dark colored leathers and they are exposed to direct sunlight.

A dark suit is only an issue if there is direct sunlight hitting it. Indirect light really isn't an issue. Simple physics, really....

I'd be more concerned with proper hydration than I would be suit color in an enclosed car.

Scott
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
Scott, fair point on the black suit. Where did you find the Superleggera M-9 for $1600?
I don't know.....I was referring to the suit I bought in 2010...it is a Sparco X Light Evo 3 in black. The material is a bit heavier at 295 g/m.

Sparco Superleggera M-9 can be had for $1800 from OG Racing.

Scott
Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
I just don't understand the "I want the cheapest safety equipment I can find." mentality some folks have.
Sorry Toby, but I don't think anyone here is saying that.

Originally Posted by winders
Is this comment directed at me for saying that I can't justify Stand 21 prices for a race suit? I think my $1600 Sparco suit will protect me very well and not any less well than a Stand 21 suit. Off the shelf fit me quite well too....
+$1600 for my top of the line Sparco X-Light Evo4 as well.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by winders
Is this comment directed at me for saying that I can't justify Stand 21 prices for a race suit? I think my $1600 Sparco suit will protect me very well and not any less well than a Stand 21 suit. Off the shelf fit me quite well too....

Scott
I agree. I bet my (about to return) $895 Momo suit is as safe as the Stand 21 from fire protection standpoint (both pass SFI level 5). The difference is mostly in lightness and (heat stress) comfort. It appears that Sparco and other manufacturers have lately managed to come close to Stand 21 in those parameters as well.

Anyone has gr/sqm numbers on Stand21 suits and how those to compare to Sparco Superleggera's 230 gr/sqm?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Sorry Toby, but I don't think anyone here is saying that.
To be QUITE CLEAR, I did not infer anything of the sort. I *have* seen people try to get into this sport without making (IMHO) appropriate investments in their own safety gear. It was THAT crowd I had in mind - no one in this thread or anyone I have encountered in these fora lately.

And to answer Scott's question directed at me earlier in this thread, *NO* my comments WERE NOT DIRECTED at you.

Simply expressing my own opinion, and certainly NOT implying anything or inferring other's intentions or thoughts.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
winders
Race Car

The speaker implies, the listener infers.....

I hate English!!

Scott
Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Also, the white suits are the fastest!
Yeah, the fastest to get every black speck in the paddock attached to their bums.

I tend to keep mine on after I'm out of the car because it's kind of like big fluffy pajama pants...fairly breathable, but all cozy 'n' stuff. Problem is, every design that looks good and/or fits my proportions that I like seems to end up being a lighter color, too, so hmm. I guess I'll just watch where I sit.

Any advice on getting those "crap, I sat on tire marbles/dirt/etc." speckles out?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a few things that are good about darker suits. Light colored nomex has a tendency to brown with exposure to uv. Just about everything in the car seems to make a suit dirty... I like the dark bottoms with a light top but not all mfgrs make a cut like that.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Any advice on getting those "crap, I sat on tire marbles/dirt/etc." speckles out?
I spray Molecule Spot Cleaner on the dirtiest areas of my suit before I put it in the washer. It seems to get out all but the very worst of the stains.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM
hf1
Banned

OK, just about finished my research on the subject. Here are some points some may find useful:

1. I emailed Stand 21 to provide some weight data on their suits. Received this:
221 fabric = 180g/sqm // corresponding inside layer = 190g/sqm
3000 fabric = 240g/sqm // corresponding inside layer = 140g/sqm
I assumed the total weight would be additive so ST221 is 370g/sqm and ST3000 is 380g/sqm. When I asked whether this is correct and whether comparing these to Sparco's Superleggera and OMP's One Evo 230g/sqm would be apples to apples, did not receive a response back.

2. When I was strolling the paddock and the pit at Limerock's ALMS race this weekend, I polled some drivers and support staff on the suits the were wearing. I even asked to feel the thickness (lightness) of the fabric and most of them let me do it (Weird, I know. ). There were a lot of sweaty, red-faced people in Stand 21 suits and they (the suits) looked heavy to me. Also, people wearing black definitely looked sweatier than people wearing light colors.

3. The Superleggera and OMP One Evo 230g/sqm suits are FIA 2000 but NOT SFI 3.2A/5 certified. The 250g/sqm One Evo is both FIA and SFI 5 certified. I emailed Sparco about the lack of SFI 5 cert for Superleggera and got this response:

Our Superleggera suit is NOT SFI. However our Jade, Sprint, and Pro cup X suits are SFI 3.2A/5.

The Sprint suit weighs about 400g/sqm. I would have to say its lightly lighter than the other SFI 3.2A/5 suit. Unfortunately I don’t have the specific numbers on our other SFI suits.

SFI and FIA have different standards. We simply did not get them tested under SFI standards. It is a lighter and more breathable suit but I strongly feel they will protect you just as good so you wouldn’t compromise the safety as much. It is lighter and thinner so logically they will probably not last as long if you put both suits side by side and put them on fire. We also have SFI 15/20 (drag racing) suits and if you compare them with an SFI 5 suit the SFI15/20 suits are much thicker and heavier. And they should be since the standards on a SFI 15/20 is higher than the SFI 5.
So it seems that it's extremely difficult to have your cake (safety) and eat it too (comfort). The 250g/sqm One Evo seems to be the lightest SFI 5 certified suit I could find.

I found a great price for a silver FIA (non SFI) 230g/sqm OMP One Evo suit at Demon Tweeks' (UK shop) EBAY site for $1400 incl shipping and I ordered it. It will cost me $60 shipping to return it if it doesn't fit.

To size it I used the fit of the (400g/sqm) Momo suit I just returned and I also found these charts extremely useful:

OMP Sizing Chart

OMP Sizing Comparison With Other Brands

Hope this helped.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought and received the OMP One Evo suit in silver........

It is unbelievably light, and the built quality is excellent.....(Made in Italy, should I say more?)

I was so impressed with the suit that I went back and purchased the OMP One Evo boots....

All ordered from Apexperformance.net and couldn't be happier.....

P.S. Do I really need a $3500 (French) suit when a well tailored and trusted Italian will do for less than half of the cost? I would rather spend the rest on a coach.....
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted a Stand 21 3000 series suit, but after options it added up to $2,800. Ordered a Superleggera instead.

I have a suit that doesn't fit me anymore for sale, size 62 Sparco X-Light Evo-4. https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post10595899
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

stand 21 by far

Quick Reply: Which is the lightest & most breathable Nomex suit?