Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:31 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow summit point race

Any results and stories?

Mitch

...starved of Porsche racing while being abroad, would have been at the race if in the states
Old 10-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I spent the weekend, 2 hrs away helping a good friend change the engine in his racecar...wish I was there or the GAC race, but I owe my buddy one.

I can't wait to hear the stories!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:04 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decent turnout, sat practice was rough with rain and drizzle most of the day. Sunday was fiiting with lots of beautiful sun. The event was relatively quiet with only a few incidents. All in all, I had a great time. We just need to get some real trophies to give out (even though I would not have gotten one).
Old 10-06-2003, 10:16 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Ed,

How did your run go? I was watching your run from the carousel section and your car was making a strange ticking noise. Was it fine? It looked like there were a few 996 GT3 cup cars in your race? What class were they in? Thanks. Congrats on completing your 1st club race.

-KJ
Old 10-06-2003, 10:22 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Group 2 was alot of fun; it seems like there was alot of attrition by the start of the race though despite there not being many crashes.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:25 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JC, how did D class and the us cup car contingent do? or did you run gtc-1?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KJinDC
It looked like there were a few 996 GT3 cup cars in your race? What class were they in?
KJ,

The GT3 Cup cars in Group 2 were both cars that were being shared by two drivers for the event. One driver would drive in Group 1, where the cars were supposed to be. This car was scored and offically placed in the Group 1 results. The other driver ran in Group 2 on an "exhibition" exemption. Their results did not count for Group 2 overall or any class results.

Karl
Old 10-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Wahoo! two more rennlisters join the club racing ranks. Congrats to Karl too!

My runs went well. I ended up turning my best time of the weekend during the race. A 1:27, but averaged 1:30 for most of the race. I tried to be courteous and let the faster cars by as they were in more serious competition than me. I think there are a few things I need to change if I hope to be competitive. I need to get the car's weight down to the minimum, which will be tough. I also just need alot more track time. I am actually quite suprised at how little the 'club racing school' provides. If I had not done a racing school and some other fun races, I would probably have been overwhelmed by the experience. Not the safest way to be.

I am not sure if we actually started 29 cars or not, but only 20 finished in group 2 and there were no losses to incidents in our race that I was aware of. I did almost have one with bambi though. I came around turn 1/2 and bambi bounces into the middle of the track! I lean on the horn, the thing looks and me and takes off for the inside of the track. I was able to go through without slowing too much. A few seconds earlier and who knows what would have happened.

The start was fun, but not as much as the NASA fun races I did. At Pocono we were able to scatter and go 4 or 5 cars wide, whereas here 3 almost had someone on the grass.

All in all, a great experience. I hope to get 4 races in next year and maybe even get competitive. I am not sure if this car can actually go fast enough to compete with the 993rs's though.

The clicking noise is from the shocks since I don't have keeper springs. When the insides unload they actually float and the clicking is when they sit into the cups that hold them in place. I plan to put the keeper springs in this winter when I do the monoballs.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Saturday was cold and wet, but Sunday was a perfect race day. Hat's off to the Potomac Region volunteers who were there in amazing numbers. There were 15 G cars in Group 4 where the front runners were divided from the also-rans (my half) by a couple very fast H 944s. Two G cars (Feldman/Krolak) qualified well but did not start; anyone know what happened? The fast guys were very fast; Dwayne Moses did a 1:26.5 in qualifying and won from the pole. I didn't see this year's time sheets for other groups, but last year that could have been pole in E or F. Jim Lewis was 19 seconds behind, followed by Wright, Mazey and Phillips clustered within 8 seconds. Must've been great action up front since Mazey battled back to fourth after a trip into the turn one gravel. The H 944s (Arzola/Franklin) finished 6/7 overall with 28s/29s. I guess those guys know SP!

This was my fourth club race and the best yet: I was struggling on an unfamiliar track with season-old Michelins, but got it together in the race, advancing six postions, turning 30s, battling (unsuccessfully) to take 8th from Holmes in the final laps. SP seems to be a track with more than average passing opportunities.

Anyway a great event, I was sorry to have to leave right away for the haul back to NJ.

Brandon
911SC #77
Old 10-06-2003, 05:16 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MJR911
JC, how did D class and the us cup car contingent do? or did you run gtc-1?
I was the only car in GTC-1. Class "D" Cups were running a few seconds faster than me (all due to driving); the usual finish of Burger/Scotto ensued.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:33 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey JC, good meeting and spending a few minutes together @ Summit . I can't wait to see the car after you have freshened it.

I like the new Cup Car site.

Charlie
Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Summit Point

Summit was the most fun I've had in a club race yet, and a great way to finish off the season. It was the first time I'd driven there, not even for DE, so every lap was a learning experience. Big props to JC in NY who talked me through the line after the first couple of practice sessions- got me thinking about the Chute as a kink, not a corner. The Carousel finished off what was left of my Hoosiers but after five races on them I can't complain.

The guy who won H (with a time better than much of the "G" field) absolutely BLEW by me going into the chute. Just goes to prove there is no substitute for experience.

The drive down and back was surprisingly unfatiguing- only five hours, compared to my haul out to Gingerman over July 4th (14 hrs). All said I enjoyed the experience and will go back next year.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Brandon:
Apparently Rick Feldman's trans broke in qualifying.

I had a good time in group 3. We got stacked up at the start on the inside going into turn one. In hindsight, I should have moved to the outside heading into the braking zone (there was a nice big hole) but chose to stay on the inside. Cost me two positions but at least I was able to make them up during the race. Sunday's weather more than made up for Saturday. The Group 3 fun race had six cars in it. The three first time rookies, three crazies (Cris Brady and Mark Wiening,and myself). We had a good time!
Old 10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
DCLee
Pro

Unhappy MY WEEKEND (sigh... )

I've had better weekends. Got the car finished Fri. noonish after my big "off" at Summit two weeks earlier (right rear suspension broke clean through-- hub carrier, A-arm, etc., all in the very fast T-3). ProTrac/Holland couldn't get me a rebuilt damper in time so we installed some Bilstein Motorsport N02 shocks in the rear. (Thanks Joel!). The car handled horribly, however, and after a day of fiddling by my mechanic (we went full soft on everything and even disconnected the R swaybar), the car finally felt semi-stable in the bumps--but I was never comfortable in it. My times were 2-3 sec. slower than last year in practice. Saturday a thunderstorm blew in and an E-ZUP canopy took off and landed on my roof (instant ding) before smashing through some guy's van window.

The bad karma kust kept on coming. Sunday in qualifying a GT4 car and I went side-by-side into the Carousel and we came together as I tracked out of T-7. Very minor contact, with his front wheel clearly marked on my right door, but we both got 13s for failing to "coexist" in the corner. My feeling was that this was not a swell place to attempt a pass, but that's not the way the stewards saw it. On the trailer and home, muttering all the way.

In any case, congrats to all the racers for a superb event--especially to Cousin Bill, who was cookin' all weekend in C Stock, and to Ivan Arzola, who dominated H in a loaner car. (Bill--where are those hero-driver pix?)

Lee in D.C. [URL=http://www.parabolicamotorsports.com]

Last edited by DCLee; 10-07-2003 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Hero driver pix? Not that weekend. 5 D cars ahead of me on the grid brused my ego. I did get by one after 10 laps or so and got within 1.3 seconds of the 4th by the checker. The other 3 were having beers in the paddock by then. Oh well. Look forward to CMP.

Quick Reply: summit point race