Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

summit point race

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003 | 12:49 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Sorry to hear of the bad luck DCLee, my last TWO weekends at the track have gone that route.

On the EZ Up tent issue, I've seen it time and time again. At my region's events, I tell everyone to stake and weigh down their tents!! ...I know you can't stake on the pavement at Summit, but old brake rotors or spare tire/wheel combos and those little red ratchet straps or bungee cords do wonders to hold those things in place - mine has yet to take off.

I've witnessed a concours 968 (Potomac Region) get trashed by one and it went on to scar a new Dodge Turbo-Diesel.

ON the suspension issues, I feel ya, going through that headache as I type this.

Overall, sounds like a decent Club Race weekend had by most - wish I were there!

...or do I?? Looks like I would've had my A__ handed to me in "D" class?
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:53 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

My highlight was being on the front row during the third practice start of the fun race. Of course, with a field of (I think) six cars, it wasn't anything to brag about. Three laps into the fun race, I realized I wasn't having much fun and that it was time to come in and wait for Sunday. Bought a new set of Hoosiers and my times weren't any better than Michelins. Go figure. I think I still have to learn my new ring and pinion. I was hitting that rev limiter quite often each lap Saw Bill for about four laps and then..poof..he was gone. I did get weighed and came in 9lbs over. Thanks to Pete Tremper who ran out to the paddock and borrowed a 25lb sand bag. Time to start using that spare tire again.
Old 10-07-2003 | 05:59 PM
78SC
Instructor

I had a great time my 993 cup and won my class (I was the only one in it). Had a good battle with the D class 964 cups after getting passed by several of them on the start. I was able to re-pass them all but never could quite catch up with Jeff Burger in the lead D car. I also came within 10 feet of being KO-ed by the flying ezup!
Old 10-07-2003 | 06:39 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Lee your 13 has me feeling potentially sheepish: I watched my race tape last night and see I made four passes in the carousel around t7: I'd take a inside line through six, turn hard and get on the throttle hard to pull even with a car sitting all the way to the outside of the track. Worked great but I'm still a work in process with race etiquette: is that a cheap place to pull off a pass?

Another insight from the race tape: man was Moses dominant. With 3-4 laps remaining he lapped me and the cluster of G cars I was dicing with. We all got unlapped when he got hemmed in by traffic, but obviously made a deliberate decision to stay back there. I assume having built up a big enough lead to win without getting caught up in other folks' battles for 7-8-9th.

Brandon
Old 10-07-2003 | 06:58 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default Re T7--

Anyplace you can make a pass is OK in my book. Summit, unlike, say, BeaveRun, is Pass Heaven.

Apparently a lot of folks routinely overtake in Turn 7, many driving big-bore GT cars. In my case, I was taking the "normal" race line through the turn and the GT4 car (a 914) hugged the inside. I don't think he had the grunt to complete the pass, though. When I crossed over to the apex, he didn't brake even though I had half a car length on him. (The stewards were not impressed by my digital photos showing his front tire mark on my door). Guess I should have backed off, been more observant, or both. (My motto: "If the tire prints fit, you must acquit").

Re Duane: He was pitted next to me. Mr. Consistency. Great guy, too.

Lee W.

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:11 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Man you guys getting 13's racing in the practice sessions - I want to party with you!
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:18 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Yeah I see your point. The racing 'literature' seems to say if you aren't even with the other car, you haven't completed the pass, and unless that's the _rear_ tire, I'd say it was your corner. I guess a PCA steward has a higher standard.
B
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:22 PM
Al P.
Pro

Brandon, I ment to say hi while I was there, actually I ment to say hi to a bunch of people and for whatever reason I didn't get around to it till after our race and a lot of folks had gone home.
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:49 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Same here; amazing how compressed all the time gets. (Cris B: sorry we never stopped by for a hello. Forrest kept asking when we were going to see that guy with the pony tail...) Club racing needs it's own version of the runoffs where we can all hang out for a week or so!
B
Old 10-09-2003 | 06:17 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Hi Forrest from the pony-tailed guy! Yeah I was pretty busy that weekend. I didn't get a chance to wander off and talk to a lot of folks either. Of course, I was just happy to finally be able to race. It's been a long hard summer. And the fall hasn't been much better. My tow vehicle died by the side of the road while going for diesel just before leaving and I had to scramble to find another way to get to Summit. I rented an Expedition ans able to tow (slowly ...) the trailer. Missed the practice day, but at least I was there. Highlight for me was playing in the rain duing the fun race. Led from the pole, because all the other guys in front of me didn't want to get their cars wet (or stuff them into the tire wall). Mark Weining put up a spirited battle, getting way sideways a couple of time. Got the checker with 4 seconds lead. That was very cool, leading the pack (mini-pack) around to take the starts. That's real good for my race visualizations

In the sprint I got a great start by rocketing down the inside into 3rd in class after a crappy qualifying session put me way back on the grid. I kept 3rd until a few laps from the end when I went in too hot into turn one, locked the tires up and put the front end into the gravel trap. By the time I got out, I lost 2 spots and wasn't able to get them back. Though I did leave a nice deposit of gravel on the track with I braked for the 1st time at turn 3 and it all tumbled out of the front end ...

Last edited by Cris Brady; 10-09-2003 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:43 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Brandon, I hear ya! Although a week is nothing, a close friend ran a FF at the runoffs this year with an arrive and drive outfit and he literally spent 3 week out there! Of course this was a $$$ guy, but he'd run all the practices and the schools as well. Of course all the three weeks weren't spent on track, but thats SCCA.

...and what did he get for all this? Punted off track in the first lap of the runoffs race. Wow, $20,000 and you got half a lap!
... he could have bought a decent 911 for that!
Mitch
Old 10-10-2003 | 10:10 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

The results are up on pca.org. Wow, it looks like qualifying in D class had spots 2, 3, 4 at exactly the same lap time (1:23.4). I guess the actual times were specific to the hundreths decimal, thus placing them in that order... Scotto, Berlack, Brown.
Old 10-10-2003 | 01:31 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Cris, I actually saw your fun race in the rain; it did look like fun. We watched it all from the carousel, which has to be one of the great spectator areas at any track. Me, I find this track plenty slippery when it's dry...
Brandon
#77 G 911SC

Quick Reply: summit point race