Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "safe enough" for a DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

My first race car. Hershey Hillclimb 1966, Weatherly Hillclimb 1968. Lap belts and home-made roll bar. The 1968 version as shown became my SCCA EP race car.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
My first race car. Hershey Hillclimb 1966, Weatherly Hillclimb 1968. Lap belts and home-made roll bar. The 1968 version as shown became my SCCA EP race car.
but then again, as a built in safety measure the (Lucas) electrics probably failed half way ;-)
Old 12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

If the fuel pump quit, you lightly tapped it with a hammer and it would start. If the distributor cap got wet you were in trouble. I ran a special Lucas distributor cap boot.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:20 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Speaking of racing suits, what is a decent entry level suit that won't cost 4 figures for HPDE (not w2w racing).
Old 12-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Speaking of racing suits, what is a decent entry level suit that won't cost 4 figures for HPDE (not w2w racing).

Whatever is on the clearance rack at OG racing at the price you are willing to spend.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:17 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

You get what you pay for. The cheaper suits can get very hot, even with a cool shirt system. If looking to cut cost, try to find the best last years model suit on the clearance rack that you can find. Apex, OG, etc all have good values this time of year, you may be able to find a $8-900 suit for much less.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Fire doesn't know it is only HPDE.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM
NotTheStig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a store in North Carolina that sells mainly racing safety equipment that is going out of business and they have ridiculous prices right now. I picked up a Sparco FIA suit that is 1 year out of expiration for $400. I'll try to find the name tonight.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I guess I need to put my nomex on before saying this, but...

In a street car, the need for nomex is less than in a fully caged car imho. Why? Nomex does not prevent you from being burned, it just buys you time. A caged car is significantly more difficult to exit than a street car. Yes, you can argue that there could be a circumstance where the street car, due to damage, becomes just as difficult if not more to exit. Each of us need to make the calculation on risk, and make an informed decision. For me, in a street car, I don't feel the need for nomex.

WRT what fire suit to buy, a lighter one will be safer because you will be MUCH more likely to wear it. The cheap fire suits are like walking around in an oven mitt. They are miserable to wear, and I suspect many people who buy them for street car and/or DE use, end up not wearing them after they realize how uncomfortable they are.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

The drivers suit I'm wearing in the hillclimb pics were cotton coveralls soaked in a solution of Borax and water and dried. This met the criteria of the day.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
WRT what fire suit to buy, a lighter one will be safer because you will be MUCH more likely to wear it. The cheap fire suits are like walking around in an oven mitt. They are miserable to wear, and I suspect many people who buy them for street car and/or DE use, end up not wearing them after they realize how uncomfortable they are.
... and a driver who's overheated, dehydrated, and uncomfortable may also be more prone to error. Many safety measures involve tradeoffs not just with cost, comfort, etc., but with aspects of safety itself.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess I need to put my nomex on before saying this, but...

In a street car, the need for nomex is less than in a fully caged car imho. Why? Nomex does not prevent you from being burned, it just buys you time. A caged car is significantly more difficult to exit than a street car. Yes, you can argue that there could be a circumstance where the street car, due to damage, becomes just as difficult if not more to exit. Each of us need to make the calculation on risk, and make an informed decision. For me, in a street car, I don't feel the need for nomex.

Stripped cars usually go up faster too, but if you ever have a hard hit and get rattled (or knocked out) any extra time you can buy will be worth it.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 235 Posts

WRT what fire suit to buy, a lighter one will be safer because you will be MUCH more likely to wear it.
The cheap fire suits are like walking around in an oven mitt. They are miserable to wear, and I suspect many people who buy them for street car and/or DE use, end up not wearing them after they realize how uncomfortable they are.
Soooooooo true
Old 12-12-2015, 09:52 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
... and a driver who's overheated, dehydrated, and uncomfortable may also be more prone to error. Many safety measures involve tradeoffs not just with cost, comfort, etc., but with aspects of safety itself.
Absolutely. One thing I've learned at track is that you often end up sitting for up to 20 minutes suited up in car in the pits on the dummy grid waiting to go out. We had to have two layers and I used to run nomex underwear under a cotton treated one layer. One day it was well north of 100 degrees at the races and after qualifying (10 minutes on track but 30 in car) then two 33 minute races with similar wait times I went and bought a decent 3 layer suit. Not for looks, improved fireproofing or simple comfort but for protection from heat exhaustion. That 3 layer feels 3 times less stifling than my previous setup where already I was leaving out the longjohns and just wearing the nomex top underneath on hot days.

That was with racing, but some people do more time in the car at track days and heat exhaustion is a bit like hypothermia in that you don't really notice it coming on until it's too late.

Tracking my motorbike on a hot day I just about vomited and collapsed on pulling back into the pits, but hadn't felt it coming on while still hammering around. Queue a set of perforated leathers and new ventilated race helmet.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Fire doesn't know it is only HPDE.
My understanding is even the basic budget suits provide good fire protection similar to a $300 SA2010 helmet vs a $2000 SA2010 Stilo Carbon fiber. The rest of the money beyond the base certification is comfort, style etc. I'm only in the car 20-30 minutes at a time, not hours and a 1-2k suit is not in my budget right now. I suppose any SFI rated suit is better than a t shirt and jeans.

Quick Reply: What is "safe enough" for a DE