Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo DL - what data will an 09 Cayman put out of OBDII??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I did the CAN connection per "Pro Coach's" photos on my 987.1 myself. I did practice my soldering before my attempt but everything worked well.
Bill, not sure if it's the same as my 09 S, but what channels are available to you via CAN?
Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bill, not sure if it's the same as my 09 S, but what channels are available to you via CAN?
Not the same ECU, Gary. Bill's car has Bosch (987.1), yours has Siemens (987.2)...

He has most of your channels, ones identical to the upper graph I posted but with brake status (off/on) but not brake pressure. He also has total steering angle off center, not separated into left/right off center. That's about it.

Your list will be like the lower graph screengrab. You'll get brake pressure, which IMO is the only big benefit of the Siemens ECU protocol over the Bosch.

Bottom line is that IF the channel you want does NOT come from the ECU (only way to connect to car with Solo DL), you just need an AiM logger that can add a conventional, analog sensor, like the EVO4 or a display/logger combo (MXL/MXL2/MXG/MXS). Those can accept the same ECU channels as the Solo DL but add additional sensors not present in the car or in the information feed from the ECU. Do this ALL the time on older cars...

The great benefit is that the later the car (and particularly in the transition to more and more driver aids in the cars that took place around that time), the more you can get from a simpler, less expensive logger and installation.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not the same ECU, Gary. Bill's car has Bosch (987.1), yours has Siemens (987.2)...

He has most of your channels, ones identical to the upper graph I posted but with brake status (off/on) but not brake pressure. He also has total steering angle off center, not separated into left/right off center. That's about it.

Your list will be like the lower graph screengrab. You'll get brake pressure, which IMO is the only big benefit of the Siemens ECU protocol over the Bosch.

Bottom line is that IF the channel you want does NOT come from the ECU (only way to connect to car with Solo DL), you just need an AiM logger that can add a conventional, analog sensor, like the EVO4 or a display/logger combo (MXL/MXL2/MXG/MXS). Those can accept the same ECU channels as the Solo DL but add additional sensors not present in the car or in the information feed from the ECU. Do this ALL the time on older cars...

The great benefit is that the later the car (and particularly in the transition to more and more driver aids in the cars that took place around that time), the more you can get from a simpler, less expensive logger and installation.
Thanks Peter, the fog is lifting a bit... I like the idea of brake pressure, had it in my SC (MXL Pista) and its much better IMO..
Old 11-15-2015, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Short answer, brake pressure IS available via CAN (something I can confirm) on 2009-2012 Cayman S and Cayman R to a Solo DL.

No additional sensors (or logger that can accommodate them) needed!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:41 AM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,

The PDF installation guide ProCoach attached is on my Cayman R (987.2) which is exactly the same as your 2009 Cayman S.

I have also attached an image of the my Solo DL set up in Race Studio 2 which lists all channels available via CAN bus.

The other attachment of channels comparison from M-world seems to be accurate. It also shows that even some channels are available via both CAN and OBDII, CAN provides higher sampling frequency.

My main reason to go to CAN is:
1) Throttle pedal position (50 hz)
2) Brake pressure (20hz)
3) Oil Pressure
4) Oil Temperature

I suppose oil temperature is even more important considering the added heat from PDK, and I highly recommend adding the center radiator if you do not already have one.

The Solo DL and Smartycam HD is the ultimate fool proof system with no battery to charge and no video to process. Turn on the ignition and drive, then download the data and video at the end of every day. I have been able to record every single session in the last 2 years.

Before each track weekend, I will review the data and video to form a plan with 2 or 3 areas to improve, basing on tips from ProCoach and other people, as well from my readings. Not only has my lap time improved continually, but the data trace also corroborates that the lap time improvement does really come from better execution of some basic technique.

And in my recent instance of a bad accident, I looked into the data to not only find out what went wrong, but further identified a bad habit that been slowly developing during the last couple of weekend that significantly contributed to my loss of control. Hopefully this will help me right the wrong and gain back the confidence the next season.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 11-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greenfrog
Gary,

The PDF installation guide ProCoach attached is on my Cayman R (987.2) which is exactly the same as your 2009 Cayman S.

I have also attached an image of the my Solo DL set up in Race Studio 2 which lists all channels available via CAN bus.

The other attachment of channels comparison from M-world seems to be accurate. It also shows that even some channels are available via both CAN and OBDII, CAN provides higher sampling frequency.

My main reason to go to CAN is:
1) Throttle pedal position (50 hz)
2) Brake pressure (20hz)
3) Oil Pressure
4) Oil Temperature

I suppose oil temperature is even more important considering the added heat from PDK, and I highly recommend adding the center radiator if you do not already have one.

The Solo DL and Smartycam HD is the ultimate fool proof system with no battery to charge and no video to process. Turn on the ignition and drive, then download the data and video at the end of every day. I have been able to record every single session in the last 2 years.

Before each track weekend, I will review the data and video to form a plan with 2 or 3 areas to improve, basing on tips from ProCoach and other people, as well from my readings. Not only has my lap time improved continually, but the data trace also corroborates that the lap time improvement does really come from better execution of some basic technique.

And in my recent instance of a bad accident, I looked into the data to not only find out what went wrong, but further identified a bad habit that been slowly developing during the last couple of weekend that significantly contributed to my loss of control. Hopefully this will help me right the wrong and gain back the confidence the next season.
Thank you so much, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! That is an amazing amount of data, can even see rear wheel speed fluctuations to show a loss of traction so I can rationalize throwing a $3K Guard LSD in her...

The PDK comes with a center radiator and my track temps were always so low I figured the water temp gauge only went to 180.. It will be nice to see actual oil temps, any pressure losses, etc.

Wait a minute, it doesn't show shock position and aero downforce???
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thank you so much, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Wait a minute, it doesn't show shock position and aero downforce???
Be glad to help you with that, too, Gary!

All it takes is money!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Be glad to help you with that, too, Gary!

All it takes is money!
As is the case with most things.....
Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

As is the case with most things.....
The cool thing is, files logged with a Solo DL are perfectly compatible if you decide later to upgrade to a more powerful logger that can accept shock pots (so you can calculate aero load),

The SDL and camera will get you started just fine...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

If you are using the DL to justify a LSD, don't do shock pots. That will lead to an MXL2, shock pots, 15k worth of shocks, and a trackside engineer!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you are using the DL to justify a LSD, don't do shock pots. That will lead to an MXL2, shock pots, 15k worth of shocks, and a trackside engineer!
Hahaha! True dat!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you are using the DL to justify a LSD,
Only to my significant other Matt... actually my limited track time this year showed the need for an LSD as it was far too easy to induce wheelspin during/exiting certain corners.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Hahaha! True dat!
It's important to remember to not ask questions you don't want the answer to!

Quick Reply: Solo DL - what data will an 09 Cayman put out of OBDII??