Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 oil pressure solution - yes, I'm asking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I got some berserk hard hours off my 996 motor with X51 pan. Pull some very high G's on slicks without oil pressure issues. Only time I saw a momentary dip in pressure was coming over a crest unweighted (T1 at lightning). No IMS upgrade either. Changed the plugs a couple of times. Totally **** about changing the oil. That was it.

Engine came with my previous car. After more than my 185 days of my own WOT thrashing, racing etc, finally needed a rebuild.That was not from any oiling issues. I don't feel that the motor owed me any money after that amount of abuse. Pretty durable engines IMHO.

Originally Posted by good hands
I've raced a 996 with a stock motor for 4 years with no issues with nothing but an x51 baffle and Motorsports aos. There is a camaraderie amongst the 996 guys who race and I believe the consensus is a lot of the supposed shortcomings of the 996 motors are way over exaggerated .
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
accusump
We lost a 944 ChumpCar engine with an accusump, been running 2 cars since with large oil coolers and amsoil 20/50
(Was vr1 20/50)
Haven't lost an engine since.
One has accusump the other doesn't.

Ymmv,

Mike
Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to follow up with my findings. I purchased the Mantis 1.2 qt oil sump, and installed it, Friday. Went to COTA on Saturday, and oil pressure stayed well above 3 bar for the entire day. I saw it drop to 3.5 bar, once, as I was going through 16-18, but I think that's more due to letting rpms drop to 4k, than any starvation issues.

I have a used accusump set up and an x51 oil pan that I'll be listing, if anyone is interested.

I have no affiliation with Mantis, but I'm definitely impressed with their product.

-Jon
Old 12-21-2015, 03:12 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not run the accusump as well as the mantis sump?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

running mobil 1? the 928s have a different system all together, but i noticed a distinct reduction in oil pressure around the sweepers when engine temps were hot.
did you notice a general reduction of temp during the session as well. (like idling)
in my experience, mobil 1 viscosity falls down under track conditions.

total change when running redline or amsoil.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Honestly, I feel like the accusump introduces additional potential failure points. If the Mantis pan fixes the problem, as it appears to have done, I'd prefer to avoid the additional complexity. Totally a matter of personal opinion.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mark kibort
running mobil 1? the 928s have a different system all together, but i noticed a distinct reduction in oil pressure around the sweepers when engine temps were hot.
did you notice a general reduction of temp during the session as well. (like idling)
in my experience, mobil 1 viscosity falls down under track conditions.

total change when running redline or amsoil.
Mark,
I was running Mobil 1 for my first event at COTA, and was definitely seeing drops due to temp. I switched to Redline 5w50 for the next event, which cured my temp related pressure drops.

The 16-18 section at COTA is a fast right that allows you to generate a ton of lateral G's. I'm seeing 1.1+ on my data logger on street tires. Even with the Redline oil, I was getting significant pressure drops in this section. 2 bar and lower.

With the Mantis sump, I saw no fluctuations. I definitely wanted to use a scientific approach in resolving this. Granted, adding oil pressure to my logging would provide even better data, but I won't be able to get that set up for a while. I should add that the 996 mk2 does not have an oil temp gauge.

-Jon
Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Hi all, Here's our data from Honda Indy race Pirelli World Challenge race , GTS came in 2 second in my Cayman. Also shaker post tested.
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Ernie,
It's a great product, and I appreciate you guys getting it to me in time to install for this past weekend!

-Jon
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

so, you saw it too... more dangerous for the 928, with its #2 bearing issues, but not as much for the 911s i think.... either way, you dont want to see the drops as you have. i have slight drops on slicks around turn 2 at thunderhilll. (80mph 7 seconds of fullll 1.4-5 g turning)

the modification to the GTS cayman, is a pan modification????

data looks good from that car at indy. good stuff

Mk

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
Mark,
I was running Mobil 1 for my first event at COTA, and was definitely seeing drops due to temp. I switched to Redline 5w50 for the next event, which cured my temp related pressure drops.

The 16-18 section at COTA is a fast right that allows you to generate a ton of lateral G's. I'm seeing 1.1+ on my data logger on street tires. Even with the Redline oil, I was getting significant pressure drops in this section. 2 bar and lower.

With the Mantis sump, I saw no fluctuations. I definitely wanted to use a scientific approach in resolving this. Granted, adding oil pressure to my logging would provide even better data, but I won't be able to get that set up for a while. I should add that the 996 mk2 does not have an oil temp gauge.

-Jon
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Default oil pans

We are working on DFI engine sump pan right now. DFI engine just needs more oil as Porsche reduced the amount. Quicker warm up, smaller carbon foot print the reason, track use you want more oil so the air in the oil can come out of suspension,that's why dry sump is better, the oil has time to release the air trapped in the oil. pure oil is lubes better than oil/air. Also the pickup is not exposed to air under hard cornering like most wet sump systems. Our 944 oil pans feature 2L more capacity and dual oil control baffles.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ernie J
We are working on DFI engine sump pan right now. DFI engine just needs more oil as Porsche reduced the amount. Quicker warm up, smaller carbon foot print the reason, track use you want more oil so the air in the oil can come out of suspension,that's why dry sump is better, the oil has time to release the air trapped in the oil. pure oil is lubes better than oil/air. Also the pickup is not exposed to air under hard cornering like most wet sump systems. Our 944 oil pans feature 2L more capacity and dual oil control baffles.
so, its just a larger capacity pan, so there is more oil to air suspended (ratio)?
thought there might be a baffeling system. hard to invision that just more oil would help that much, but if it does, then thats a good solution , at the cost of a little more weight.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Ernie J
Pro

And weight is at the bottom, lowest part of the car. More oil = more time for the air to release.

Quick Reply: 996 oil pressure solution - yes, I'm asking