Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It's FIA versus club flagging. Some of the pro series and many European series use the red flag to bring people into the pits. I don't think their are any clubs in the US that use FIA flags, but I could be wrong.
An explanation of a particularly arcane procedure adopted only by FIA (hence Tudor and some CASC events) does not reinforce that that red flag procedure is NOT generally well known or taught in North America.

Under NO circumstances should the FIA rule be used for Club and DE events.

The NUMBER ONE cause for incidents at track events is confusion interpreting "standard" protocol. And I have data to support that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to derail on flags, but Hank Watts, Golden Gate Chief Instructor at one time and author of Secrets of Solo Racing, used to teach that essentially every flag mean, "Check your mirrors" and then do something.

Blue = Check your mirrors, someone is faster than you (actually he used to say if you are in a Club Race, "There's a race going on and you aren't in it")
Black = Check your mirrors, be aware, and get to the pits
Red = Check your mirrors, stop controlled and safe in sight of a flag station.

You get the point.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
An explanation of a particularly arcane procedure adopted only by FIA (hence Tudor and some CASC events) does not reinforce that that red flag procedure is NOT generally well known or taught in North America.

Under NO circumstances should the FIA rule be used for Club and DE events.

The NUMBER ONE cause for incidents at track events is confusion interpreting "standard" protocol. And I have data to support that...
I wasn't saying that people didn't know red flag procedure or that anyone should use FIA flagging. I was only pointing out the differences and why most people are not familiar with FIA flagging.

I agree that a lot of people do not have a full, fast acting understanding of the flags.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Not to derail on flags, but Hank Watts, Golden Gate Chief Instructor at one time and author of Secrets of Solo Racing, used to teach that essentially every flag mean, "Check your mirrors" and then do something.

Blue = Check your mirrors, someone is faster than you (actually he used to say if you are in a Club Race, "There's a race going on and you aren't in it")
Black = Check your mirrors, be aware, and get to the pits
Red = Check your mirrors, stop controlled and safe in sight of a flag station.

You get the point.
For the red flag, I hope you guys mention not to stop on the track at a blind exit......
Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I was only pointing out the differences and why most people are not familiar with FIA flagging.

I agree that a lot of people do not have a full, fast acting understanding of the flags.
Agreed. Didn't realize this until I started coaching pros over a decade ago.

Sorry to sound harsh. Appreciate that you posted that explanation.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a big supporter of Red flag drills for DE. It's good to review with green students when you get in their cars. I often say- there may be a red flag drill and review procedure.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,896 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I'm a big supporter of Red flag drills for DE. It's good to review with green students when you get in their cars. I often say- there may be a red flag drill and review procedure.
I've been driving on track for eight years with NASA, PCA, and a few other clubs and have never had a "drill" of any kind.

Good idea!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

NNJR use to do it. We did it at PDA - and early years at NASA NE when I was Chief. I too have not seen it recently but I have been out of the loop. I'll have it incorporated at HOD next event. I expect NASA NE to do it at next event also.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 09-15-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Man, we used to do it at most of the TrackTime events in the 1980's, every one of the 80+ events at Car Guys, Inc. in the Nineties and most BMWCCA Tarheel Chapter and Capitol Chapter events.

We did BFA (black flag all) to end at least one or more sessions over the weekend and Red flag drills at least once for each group. It helped weed out a lot of sketchy people and several were sent home when they blew it more than once.

I have seen some VERY inattentive drivers at PCA Club Racing and some historic racing events...

I first saw those drills in SCCA Comp school. Blew a checker once and almost didn't pass the school!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

CAR GUYS !! One of my early events. I wish I could find my old shirt. They ran a nice program
Old 09-15-2015, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

CAR GUYS !! One of my early events. I wish I could find my old shirt. They ran a nice program
Yep. One of the first and best for-profits (not really sure Kenley ever came out ahead...) from 1989 to 1997. Was ok for a few years after Kenley sold it but went downhill pretty quick as the core group drifted away.

Instructor development was top notch, workers were top-notch, classroom was top-notch and the venues were terrific. Refrigerator Bowl in January and February at Summit Point, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, Charlotte Motor Speedway. It was a very good program. Safety was NUMBER ONE.

C. Dan Unkefer and Dan Dazzo were (and are) some of the best guys I've ever worked with. It was a good time. Don't forget, PCA Club Racing started in 1992!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

We don't do red flag drills, ostensibly because they are dangerous. However, I'm second guessing this after my experiences with a newbie green student and the red was dropped. It was chaos for a few moments until I got things settled in the car. "Pull off line and stop" "Hugh, what?!?" sort of stuff - and a car following way back did manage to pass us before seeing the red flag between us and the flag station.

A red flag wasn't thrown in the first 5 years I did the sport. I also had one at COTA where the car in front of me just pounded the brakes when the red was thrown on the cool down lap. I had to dive off into the red paint to avoid him.

Methinks we could use a bit of practice .

-Mike
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

I am a big fan of regular red flag drills in all run groups.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:18 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Stopping on the racing surface is a bad idea under any condition. The use of Red Flags should be abolished
Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Stopping on the racing surface is a bad idea under any condition. The use of Red Flags should be abolished

Quick Reply: What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?