Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Let me expand that - Red Flag means look in your mirrors, pull off line and come to a stop safely to a point in the track where you can see the next flag station.
+1
Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Let me expand that - Red Flag means look in your mirrors, pull off line and come to a stop safely to a point in the track where you can see the next flag station.
Yep. And we had two of these last weekend at TWS. A BMW into the tires and a Corvette into the T15 wall. BMW was still drivable, the 'vette had relatively minor damage, but it went home on a roll back.

I'm going to need update my preflight brief. My student was very confused by my sudden "pull over there (pointing off line) and stop - now!" command after checking our six. Probably worth a few words along with the two feet in spin and drive straight off if dropping a wheel advice.

-Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Yep. And we had two of these last weekend at TWS. A BMW into the tires and a Corvette into the T15 wall. BMW was still drivable, the 'vette had relatively minor damage, but it went home on a roll back.

I'm going to need update my preflight brief. My student was very confused by my sudden "pull over there (pointing off line) and stop - now!" command after checking our six. Probably worth a few words along with the two feet in spin and drive straight off if dropping a wheel advice.

-Mike
They should be receiving EXPLICIT red flag instructions in the drivers meeting.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
They should be receiving EXPLICIT red flag instructions in the drivers meeting.
Yeah, well...

I don't know if it was missed in classroom, I do know my student went. This guy was a green-green and I think that first weekend download can be overwhelming. Maybe this is just as good as it gets as there was nothing obviously wrong from our position at T7 other than the red flag, as the incident was up at T15.

I'll have a post up tonight about why it's important to tape the leading edge of magnetic numbers .

-Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,093 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Yep. And we had two of these last weekend at TWS.
-Mike
I'm shocked. Red Flag procedure should be (and is, by most experienced tracks) reserved ONLY for incidents that require bringing EVERY car on track under control IMMEDIATELY!

In thirty years, I can count on ONE hand how many red flags I have seen in several HUNDRED DE's and track days, TWO hands including racing (and people passed away on those occasions).

Red Flag is supposed to be reserved for incidents that BLOCK the track or do NOT allow safe passage back to the pits by drivers on-track.

While several programs I have seen use red-flag DRILLS, this really needs to be kept only as a LAST resort...

Black Flag All would have been the appropriate call for the TWS incidents, it sounds like...

Sheesh...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Black Flag All would have been the appropriate call for the TWS incidents, it sounds like...

Sheesh...
Perhaps for the BMW in the tire wall, but the Corvette was blocking the pit entry. I do feel red flags are pretty dangerous in and of themselves and need to be restricted to only when needed - I don't think red flag drills are even appropriate.

-Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Red Flags are poorly taught.

The do NOT need to be a RIGHT EFFING NOW.

They need to be a slow down, get off the line and come to a stop within view of a flag station.

A red flag should not be a big deal.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 430 Posts

...and where others coming from behind can see you for a while in case they missed the red flag.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'm shocked. Red Flag procedure should be (and is, by most experienced tracks) reserved ONLY for incidents that require bringing EVERY car on track under control IMMEDIATELY!

In thirty years, I can count on ONE hand how many red flags I have seen in several HUNDRED DE's and track days, TWO hands including racing (and people passed away on those occasions).

Red Flag is supposed to be reserved for incidents that BLOCK the track or do NOT allow safe passage back to the pits by drivers on-track.

While several programs I have seen use red-flag DRILLS, this really needs to be kept only as a LAST resort...

Sheesh...

Or when control believes the incident is potentially serious enough to require unhindered expedited code 3 access by emergency personnel, without the other cars still circulating under Black.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting a little off topic, but I would say with regard to Red Flag: I dislike that at COTA different organizations have had different red flag procedures. I have experienced one group where Red Flag was proceed safely into the pit. Another group it was stop. Maybe that was just when COTA was figuring things out. In the case where we stopped, there was a car on fire that they were having trouble extinguishing, so I think that could qualify for red flag, no?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Misdirection
We are getting a little off topic, but I would say with regard to Red Flag: I dislike that at COTA different organizations have had different red flag procedures. I have experienced one group where Red Flag was proceed safely into the pit. Another group it was stop. Maybe that was just when COTA was figuring things out. In the case where we stopped, there was a car on fire that they were having trouble extinguishing, so I think that could qualify for red flag, no?
Different sets of flagging rules have different meanings for red flags. It sucks.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I may be wrong but I believe COTA itself uses the FIA definition of red flag procedure. Sometimes groups renting the track like PCA, etc over-ride that and use their own.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I think fixed back seat, 6 pt harness, OEM club sport roll bar and a CF hans and fire extinguisher is about the right level of safety for a street driven car in an advanced/instructor run group in a HPDE.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Different sets of flagging rules have different meanings for red flags. It sucks.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I may be wrong but I believe COTA itself uses the FIA definition of red flag procedure. Sometimes groups renting the track like PCA, etc over-ride that and use their own.
It's FIA versus club flagging. Some of the pro series and many European series use the red flag to bring people into the pits. I don't think their are any clubs in the US that use FIA flags, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I think fixed back seat, 6 pt harness, OEM club sport roll bar and a CF hans and fire extinguisher is about the right level of safety for a street driven car in an advanced/instructor run group in a HPDE.
DOT vs CS roll bar. Please explain legal issues and how to meet.

You opened that door.

Quick Reply: What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?