Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,365 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As far as the fire extinguisher, I would carry one only if you are planning on putting someone else's car fire out.
Most DEs prohibit you from getting out of the car in this case. But, human nature what it is, who knows how one would react. Not sure how much a small one like that would help.

If you have a fire, I'd get the F out of the car and forget about getting the fire bottle.
This one.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

Are there studies anywhere on what an airbag does when deployed to a helmeted head in a street car with 3 point belts?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,156 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I have taken to wearing my firesuit in most DE. At the very least I wear a fire retardant long sleeve shirt.

Fire and injury does not know it is only a practice.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Hot fluids, debris coming inside the passenger compartment... Many reasons for a barrier layer. Why I don't wear open face helmets in closed cars, too.

I have been in two cars that caught fire, one electrical and one big engine blowup (mid-engine car).

Glad I had a suit, gloves and gear on and the small handheld help knock things down until the good guys got there...

DE in both instances.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

I've carefully considered this as I drive my car to the track. Due to my relatively short (31.5") inseam I have to sit fairly forward in my 951, that would put me uncomfortably close to the front hoop on a rollcage.

So I went with a welded rollbar instead, I'm not a fan of the bolt in rollbars, they attach to the weakest parts of the car and can easily punch through. Google for the images of the mustang that rolled at Hallett, the rollbar punched through the floor completely, those guys are lucky to be alive.

I also welded in the harness mounts.

So I have a:
#1 welded rollbar with SFI padding
#2 welded harness mounts
#3 6 point harnesses
#4 full face helmet
#5 fixed back seats (Recaro SPG XL's on Recaro sliders) passenger seat all the way back
#6 HANS
#7 Halon fire extinguisher, mostly due to organization requiements.

I agree that if my car is on fire, I'm not reaching for my extinguisher, I'm bailing out of the car.

For the first time ever, I had car to car contact on track. What I thought happened in my head was very different than what I saw on video. It got me seriously considering at least adding door bars to my rollbar. If I hadn't been more aware I would've been hit directly in the drivers door instead of in the back of the drivers rear quarter panel.

I haven't done it yet as I'd have to delete the speaker panels/armrest and at that point I may was well go to a full cage...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

As far as the fire extinguisher, I would carry one only if you are planning on putting someone else's car fire out. If you have a fire, I'd get the F out of the car and forget about getting the fire bottle.
Agree. The ones I have are for putting something small out before it gets big after getting out of the car and before the safety crew arrives.

-Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
In the end the final arbiter of "enough" is you. I think I came pretty close to the best compromise possible for a dual purpose car.
  1. Otherwise stock E36 M3
  2. Retained air bags
  3. Bolt in roll bar
  4. Sparco Ergo Halo seats with removable halos
  5. 6 point Schroth harnesses
  6. Driver's seat on slider to ease egress (I could still get out with seat fully forward)
  7. Passenger seat mounted all the way back
  8. Two fire extinguishers mounted to roll bar
  9. Simpson R3 head and neck restrain (a Hans would work as well)
If my street car stays around for me to advance to solo groups, this is my approximate list. The Sparco Ergo seats are on the top of my list already.

This video made me decide to budget a Hans into my roll bar/seats/harnesses budget.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
If you need a helmet, you need a HANs (or some other support)
I drive a street car to DE's and wear a helmet on track. My thoughts are that a three pt belt and airbag are appropriate but fully aware that there are no backup airbags to protect in a rollover or other multi impact event.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately there is no "middle ground"... what's good for the track is bad for the street, and vice-versa... it's either 0 or 100... no in between.

Some of the world's best engineers design safety systems on modern cars

Either build a dedicated track car with full race equipment, or take your stock street car to the track, and learn to drive.

Anything in between is dangerous.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

I take your point about compromises, but that's probably overly dramatic.

Nothing is binary - a properly mounted roll bar, harnesses and
Hans can unquestionably augment safety in an otherwise 'street' car.

Best,

Matt
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I take your point about compromises, but that's probably overly dramatic.

Best,

Matt
I love drama.

But physics is physics and a system is a system, and every element of a race-car safety system has a specific role to play... take one element out, an its not a system.

Without a HANS device, racing harnesses can cause a fatal basal skull fracture (your body decelerates much faster than your head... and your neck isn't strong enough)

Without a full-containment seat, racing harnesses can cause a fatal lateral neck injury (you accelerate laterally, and the shoulder harness breaks your neck).

Gees... Joe Garage wizard is just smarter than professional engineers.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:15 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

This FIA approved HANS-with-3-point-belt system is interesting: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/

Apologies if this has been beaten to death, but (after a search) it doesn't seem to have been discussed much.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Karl.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Unfortunately there is no "middle ground"... what's good for the track is bad for the street, and vice-versa... it's either 0 or 100... no in between.

Some of the world's best engineers design safety systems on modern cars

Either build a dedicated track car with full race equipment, or take your stock street car to the track, and learn to drive.

Anything in between is dangerous.
I think this is going w bit too far...I think some modifications can be made before the full safety gear is needed.

For example, a 911S is basically a 911 with some enhancements to suspension, motor, and brakes, but the safety systems are essentially identical. Would you say that a stock 911 S is somehow more dangerous to drive on track than a stock base 911? Of course not.

I think that the issue of dual purpose car safety gear is not something that really lends itself to easy one-size-fits-all hard and fast rules.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
This FIA approved HANS-with-3-point-belt system is interesting: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/

Apologies if this has been beaten to death, but (after a search) it doesn't seem to have been discussed much.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Karl.
I've owned pretty much all the head restraints. The hybrid is the one I still use.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Agreed. Plenty of data to support that.

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Without a HANS device, racing harnesses can cause a fatal basal skull fracture (your body decelerates much faster than your head... and your neck isn't strong enough)

Without a full-containment seat, racing harnesses can cause a fatal lateral neck injury (you accelerate laterally, and the shoulder harness breaks your neck).
True, but in both your examples, the threshold of impact would need to be very high. Extremely rare in on-track incidents.

Originally Posted by white924s
I think this is going w bit too far...I think some modifications can be made before the full safety gear is needed.

I think that the issue of dual purpose car safety gear is not something that really lends itself to easy one-size-fits-all hard and fast rules.
Agreed. Sort of like DE protocols...

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've owned pretty much all the head restraints. The hybrid is the one I still use.
VERY popular among the DE set, locally. Elegant solution.

Quick Reply: What is the "Appropriate" level of Safety Gear for a "Drive to the Track" car?