Sponsored by:

Buttonwillow 6/27 - 6/28

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Buttonwillow 6/27 - 6/28

Northern California Racing Club....this is a classy outfit...I have run with them many times in the past. They have racing too if you are so inclined. Your race car must have a cage and all the other standard racing requirements.

It's Clockwise #13, both days...typical config....but not using Star Mazda. Lots of the NCRC drivers prefer this configuration.

The track was completely repaved last year...it's very nice. I have signed up for the Open Passing Group, both days.

And it's affordable at $124 a day...I have seen clubs charge $195+per day. Food is good too, but slow. If you are in any sort of rush, order a hot dog, they are delicious. Verbiage below from their web site.

Accommodations: If you want cheap, stay at Hwy 58 and I-5, or on up to Hwy 46 and I-5. If you want nice, stay at the...
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites
Address: 3927 Marriott Dr, Bakersfield, CA 93308
Phone661) 377-8000

They have a bar and restaurant on the premises, boy 40 minutes from the track.

SAT JUNE 27, BUTTONWILLOW
This day has four Open Track run groups with five 20-25 minute sessions per group. There is also an ARC Race group with four sessions. We will run the Chrono Series today.
CW #13 configuration.
Cost: OT:$124 DS:$124 ARC:$124 CS:$124
Open: Group is near Full
Point-By: Group is Full
Solo: Group is Full
Driving School: Group is near Full
ARC: Plenty of Room
Chrono: Group is near Full

SUN JUNE 28, BUTTONWILLOW
This day has four Open Track run groups with five 20-25 minute sessions per group. There is also an ARC Race group with four sessions. We will run the Chrono Series today.
CW #13 configuration.
Cost: OT:$124 ARC:$124 CS:$124
Open: Plenty of Room
Point-By: Group is near Full
Solo: Group is near Full
ARC: Plenty of Room
Chrono: Plenty of Room
Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Northern California Racing Club....this is a classy outfit.
You made me laugh!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I am so pleased I could....

...bring out your jocular side!!!! NCRC does run a tasty event!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Ed and I are signed up for the race group. We'll see you there Martin! I really like Buttonwillow but it's been several years since I've been out there so I'll be re-learning the track for the first couple of sessions. I'll have to watch some videos before the event.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I am reconsidering ....

Open Passing VS Racing....I want to see what the field looks like. Really glad that you and tour dad are coming up. I am in Garage ????. I'll let you know.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Martin the track costs $5,950 per day totaling $11,900.
ALS service (mandatory) is another $3k.
Insurance (mandatory) roughly $1,500.
Basic tow service = $1,600.
Fire rescue = $1,600.
corner works (minimum crew) = $3k.
Plus registration workers and timing & scoring probably at least $1k. for the weekend.

So their approximate weekend costs are $23,600. They'll need roughly 95 entrants per day @ $124. per just to break even and that's with the minimal safety crew....
Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Casting aspersions?

Me posting the cost of NCRC at $124 a day was meant to be informative, not imply that other Clubs were overcharging the entrants. I believe that NCRC also charges $10 a day extra for posting your times...this make the event a pure DE event for some who's insurance proscribes them participating in any timed speed event. This is a pretty clever idea.

Other Clubs have charged $300 for a one (1) day outing....I think I just paid this for one day with the Central Coast PCA. I had a great time running with my Central Coast pals and it was worth it to me.

Personally, I hope that Luc and Dave get 120 entries at this event so they can make a few bucks on the deal. Their events are always priced competitively, and wouldn't you know it, they get an excellent turnout, at least that has been the case at other NCRC events I have attended.

I am going as a tune up for the POC event in July (AAAARRRRRGH): July can be so bloody hot. But that's not stopping me!!! I know of at least 2 other POC guys that are going tho the NCRC for the same purpose.

The $23,600 fixed cost ($11,800 a day) is an interesting number; thanks for the heads up. PCA had 80+ people at this one (1) day event...80 people X $300 = $24,000 over a $11,800 cost...maybe they have a lot of overhead But I won't be asking. When they set the rate, they could not have known how many people would be showing up.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:37 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Open Passing VS Racing....I want to see what the field looks like. Really glad that you and tour dad are coming up. I am in Garage ????. I'll let you know.
I have run with NCRC in the past. Some drivers in the Open Passing Group got it confused with the Racing Group.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 06-08-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,798 Likes on 1,095 Posts

I've posted this before... NCRC is a more "loose" group. The intermediate group was packed with very little discipline or rule enforcement.

The advanced open passing group people thought it was wheel to wheel with just stupid, stupid **** going on and despite repeated driver meetings no change in behavior. they didn't run a race group that day so the drivers (not Luc) turned advanced into race.

Luc seems like a nice guy and their prices are certainly competitive. And I had a driver coach that I hired from NCRC who was very good.

I just don't feel comfortable driving a 100k+ car on track in a free for all.

Buttonwilliow 13CW is a very fun config. And the new pavement is great. Well, turn 2 is getting ****ty again in the braking zone, but that adds to the experience. Rest of track is nice.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've posted this before... NCRC is a more "loose" group. The intermediate group was packed with very little discipline or rule enforcement.

The advanced open passing group people thought it was wheel to wheel with just stupid, stupid **** going on and despite repeated driver meetings no change in behavior. they didn't run a race group that day so the drivers (not Luc) turned advanced into race.

Luc seems like a nice guy and their prices are certainly competitive. And I had a driver coach that I hired from NCRC who was very good.

Buttonwilliow 13CW is a very fun config. And the new pavement is great. Well, turn 2 is getting ****ty again in the braking zone, but that adds to the experience. Rest of track is nice.
That "stupid ****" was not my experience. If starts to happen, I will raise a **** storm. I'll even go down to the passing with a signal group. I have nothing to prove...just want to sharpen my skills...apply what I learned from Craig Stanton last month...had Craig drive me around in my car.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Martin,
I had originally signed up for the open group Saturday and race Sunday, so I could relearn the track before racing. Dave recommended just doing race both days and said the race group would be less hectic than the Open group. There are fewer cars in it and the drivers should be more experienced. Race only gets 4 sessions per day instead of 5, but it looks like the race group starts later and finishes earlier each day which is nice.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
Martin,
I had originally signed up for the open group Saturday and race Sunday, so I could relearn the track before racing. Dave recommended just doing race both days and said the race group would be less hectic than the Open group. There are fewer cars in it and the drivers should be more experienced. Race only gets 4 sessions per day instead of 5, but it looks like the race group starts later and finishes earlier each day which is nice.
4 sessions a day is good enough for me...maybe that's what I'll do. Thanks for the heads up. I'll call/e mail Dave.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
+1. A few were "driving" as is if it were a Spec Piñata group.

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow 6/27 - 6/28