Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE FASTER (THAN YOU)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE FASTER (THAN YOU)

WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE FASTER (THAN YOU) Published on May 26, 2015

See:
THE SPEED SECRETS Channel, where many, many Ross Bentley's videos reside. I intend to view them all...have a track day coming up end of June, and in July as well.

Ross writes, "Why are some drivers faster than others? There's more than one reason, but a significant reason is how they use their senses to pick up information about the track and their car. In this video tip I describe what that means, and give you advice on how to develop those skills further yourself. No matter your level, from club to pro racer, or from HPDE student to experienced track day performance driver, this is the most productive strategy for improving your driving that I've ever experienced.

If you like tips like this, please share, and subscribe to my channel here. And, as always, there are more tips and advice at ‪http://speedsecrets.com, as well as a weekly e-newsletter available at ‪http://speedsecretsweekly.com. Have fun!"
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Yes, we have discussed this topic more than once in the Ask The Coach thread. Good stuff!!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow I was expecting a cheating thread......good stuff thanks for sharing and will be watching tonight
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up

Good stuff.

I broke through a very long plateau last year by simply feeling the car. Of course, I really set myself up for it by simracing for a decade before trying the real thing. In simracing, there is nothing but visual cues, and even those are compromised. Once I realized I wasn't feeling anything I noticed the reason behind it was that I simply wasn't listening.

Started listening to my *** and my lap times dropped by seconds, sessions were more consistent and comfortable, and riding with others became a lot more pleasurable. It made the difference between being a mid-pack DE white student and instructing.

I'm still pretty amazed how fast I was able to go with just my eyes, but this realization was one of those magic moments in this sport when another whole new world opens up.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 06-02-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to witness something pretty remarkable this last weekend which may or may not be related to the message of this video (hard to say for sure). On Sunday my local Kart racing club had our season opening races and there was this visiting teenaged racer who lives on the other side of the country but is kind of on tour across Canada and the USA who joined in on the fun. What made this teenager remarkable was that he is autistic, but OMG the kid is fast. Only having one day of practice under his belt to learn our track, there he was competing hard and driving very very fast. He didn't win his race, but he did podium with a strong 3rd place finish miles ahead of the 4th place finisher. Without a doubt the kid was autistic as I have a 1/2 brother who is also autistic so I know the signs and symptoms of what makes someone autistic and I attempted to talk to him after the race (I did talk with his family to congratulate them and also told them about my 1/2 brother). Anyway it's hard to say for sure what makes this kid so fast in his Kart. Out there in the real world obviously his mind wanders on every day tasks we take for granted. But put him behind the wheel of his Kart and watch out. Definitely an impressive performance.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, we have discussed this topic more than once in the Ask The Coach thread. Good stuff!!
Yes. That's why.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ross and Ronn Langford are great guys and their stuff really works, if you buy into it.
We've been practicing what their books preach and it has really helped for improving our consistency.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Tracks 9 times out of 10 will not let you bike or walk the track after end of day races. I think more drivers need to ask for this permission. I learn a lot by walking a track that you just can't see even at warm up lap speeds. Just putting your feet on the curbs can tell you a lot about how useful the curbs can be.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Tracks 9 times out of 10 will not let you bike or walk the track after end of day races. I think more drivers need to ask for this permission. I learn a lot by walking a track that you just can't see even at warm up lap speeds. Just putting your feet on the curbs can tell you a lot about how useful the curbs can be.
Track walks are very important. I've learned from every one I've done. I've found a lot will let you do it far later, though some tracks charge the club for track walks.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

I conducted a track walk of Watkins Glen last Monday after the track went cold.

Huge turnout as many realize the benefit
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I conducted a track walk of Watkins Glen last Monday after the track went cold.

Huge turnout as many realize the benefit
I'll be doing the same on Friday evening. Next year it will be a whole new experience!

Quick Reply: WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE FASTER (THAN YOU)