Sponsored by:

Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Anti-sizw on the hitch ball...

I have heard that it is good practice to put some sort of anti-sieze on the hitch ball. I have a pal that lost a stacker trailer and swears it was due to a rough road and lack of anti-seize on the trailer ball. He also may have neglected to close the trailer ball locking device. His chains did not hold and off into the weeds went the stacker with a car inside...the stacker was totaled, but the car inside survived.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Make sure your tool kit drawers are secure before you lock the trailer to drive away.
Remember to turn off the inside trailer lights.
Remember to remove the chocks before you try to drive away
Remember to close the ceiling air vent before you drive away
Old 04-23-2015, 02:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have heard that it is good practice to put some sort of anti-sieze on the hitch ball. I have a pal that lost a stacker trailer and swears it was due to a rough road and lack of anti-seize on the trailer ball. He also may have neglected to close the trailer ball locking device. His chains did not hold and off into the weeds went the stacker with a car inside...the stacker was totaled, but the car inside survived.
"He may also have neglected..."?? You think??
There is a teflon-based lube you can buy at auto parts and trailer stores for the ball lube. Water-resistant and not as messy as anti-seize, but still messy.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:32 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
"He may also have neglected..."?? You think??
There is a teflon-based lube you can buy at auto parts and trailer stores for the ball lube. Water-resistant and not as messy as anti-seize, but still messy.
Thought grease was a foregone conclusion... Would you use anti-seize instead? or grease is not needed?

Wipe the ball down with paper towel to remove old grease/grit. With a gloved hand, grab a handful of lube and apply liberal to your ball.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
. With a gloved hand, grab a handful of lube and apply liberal to your ball.
Name:  double_facepalm_lg.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thought grease was a foregone conclusion... Would you use anti-seize instead? or grease is not needed?

Wipe the ball down with paper towel to remove old grease/grit. With a gloved hand, grab a handful of lube and apply liberal to your ball.
Always want to lube the trailer ball; the teflon grease designed for this is my preference, after having wiped the grease and grit off of said ball.
This thread is going weird fast.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Always want to lube the trailer ball; the teflon grease designed for this is my preference, after having wiped the grease and grit off of said ball.
This thread is going weird fast.
We were doing so well for so long. I blame Bob for the fingerprint comment that started the downhill slide. ;-)
Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

I use regular ole grease, and keep it covered w/ a rubber shop glove when not towing, keeps the grit out
Old 04-24-2015, 10:36 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I can't resist: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-bit-long.html
Old 04-25-2015, 12:47 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I keep a container of wet ones in a tray on my trailer door. The last thing I do before closing and locking the door is wiping my hands. It keeps the inside of the tow vehicle from looking like it's engine compartment.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Do this- if you have a gopro set it up in the trailer. Then use the iPhone app to watch all your stuff bounce around as you drive.

You will buy more airline track and strap stuff down after that.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:59 AM
PorscheFanGreg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire pressure monitors for trailer tires. Camping World or even Amazon sell these wireless kits that can include sensors for spare tires. If your tow vehicle does not have tire pressure monitors, get a little more advanced kit that can serve both tow vehicle and trailer. Receiver/alarm unit is small and can sit on dash. My brother had 2 trailer tire failures when towing an enclosed trailer round trip coast-to-coast a couple of years ago. One of these units made for a safe trip.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFanGreg
Tire pressure monitors for trailer tires. Camping World or even Amazon sell these wireless kits that can include sensors for spare tires. If your tow vehicle does not have tire pressure monitors, get a little more advanced kit that can serve both tow vehicle and trailer. Receiver/alarm unit is small and can sit on dash. My brother had 2 trailer tire failures when towing an enclosed trailer round trip coast-to-coast a couple of years ago. One of these units made for a safe trip.
just installed one a few weeks ago on my enclosed trailex. took 10 minutes to program the sensors and mounted the monitor on the dash of the Treg. Very cool to be able to scroll thru each trailer tire and see PSI/temps for each tire. Also has alarm for slow/rapid air loss.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
just installed one a few weeks ago on my enclosed trailex. took 10 minutes to program the sensors and mounted the monitor on the dash of the Treg. Very cool to be able to scroll thru each trailer tire and see PSI/temps for each tire. Also has alarm for slow/rapid air loss.
If you had good results can you share what you bought?

I was towing with an open trailer once and didn't realize a tired had shredded until I heard it. The trailer, albeit unloaded, remained stable at highway speed with the shredded tire. Bent the steel fender to hell!

Quick Reply: Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps