Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015 | 02:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Default Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps

I only know the traps. Here's a list:
  1. Do not place the trailer keys on the bumper of the truck
  2. Do not back your car off the trailer unless you have leveling jacks, or it is attached to the tow vehicle
  3. Check all your tie-downs -- at least five or six times
  4. Do not place the trailer keys on the bumper of the truck
  5. Make sure you closed the hitch latch (or whatever you call the damn thing) before you start driving.
  6. Make sure you closed the hitch latch before you pull your car onto the trailer.
  7. Don't forget to take the car out of gear after you strap it down.
  8. Make sure your tongue jack is all the way up before driving off.
  9. Make sure your leveling jacks are all the way up before driving off.
  10. Buy new tires every ~2 years.
  11. If one tire blows, replace all four.
  12. Do not place your trailer keys anywhere except in your pocket, or IN your truck.

Oh, and yes you do need a bigger tow vehicle.
Old 04-20-2015 | 02:20 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

#13 - Be careful of chain link fences when backing.

Good to see you and Pam this weekend.

Originally Posted by mglobe
  2. Do not back your car off the trailer unless you have leveling jacks, or it is attached to the tow vehicle
  5. Make sure you closed the hitch latch (or whatever you call the damn thing) before you start driving.
  6. Make sure you closed the hitch latch before you pull your car onto the trailer.
  12. Do not place your trailer keys anywhere except in your pocket, or IN your truck.

Old 04-20-2015 | 02:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
#13 - Be careful of chain link fences when backing.

Good to see you and Pam this weekend.
Old 04-20-2015 | 03:31 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

For open trailers, don't let a helpful bystander straddle the tongue of your trailer while directing you as you drive up...

Ratchet straps need a few wraps around the ratchet center to hold without slipping. And they're not locked until you put the handle all the way down so that it's parallel with the strap (I didn't know this one).
Old 04-20-2015 | 03:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

#15 Make sure that on your enclosed trailer all of your doors are locked before you drive off to ensure that they don't pop open while you are driving
#16 Make sure you always leave your race car keys in your race car or your tow vehicle - don't leave them at home
#17 Make sure your wheel chocks are set before unhooking your trailer from the tow vehicle
#18 Do not place your trailer keys anywhere but inside your tow vehicle (ever!)
Old 04-20-2015 | 03:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
#15 Make sure that on your enclosed trailer all of your doors are locked before you drive off to ensure that they don't pop open while you are driving
#16 Make sure you always leave your race car keys in your race car or your tow vehicle - don't leave them at home
#17 Make sure your wheel chocks are set before unhooking your trailer from the tow vehicle
#18 Do not place your trailer keys anywhere but inside your tow vehicle (ever!)

LOL!

i am sensing a theme...
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:23 PM
jscott82
Drifting

If open trailer, make sure the hood pins are in before leaving....
Keep two sets of keys in the tow vehicle. One to use, and one just in case.
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:44 PM
TXE36
Drifting

#19 If you use a block to rest your trailer jack on, remove it before moving the trailer.
#20 Use a "soft" material for said block in case you forget. Mine is wood, and I've run over it twice and I've only trailered the car for 4 weekends.
#21 If you manually move car to set weight balance, have a chock ready. Move car back, trailer tilts back, car start moving faster, trailer tilts back more, etc...
#22 Have two keys to the race car, in the tow vehicle, just in case.
#23 The first three important parameters for the tow vehicle are: 1) Wheelbase, 2) Wheelbase, 3) Wheelbase.
#24 Unlock the trailer hitch before trying to drop it on the ball.
#25 If the trailer parking is exceptionally muddy, don't back the tow vehicle up too far or you will need help getting out.

Not a specific rule, but I'm new to towing and thought I was clever yesterday. Event is winding down and I have one more run to do and a bit of time to kill. I know, I'll set up the trailer with the ramps deployed and when I come off track I just drive it right on up. Plan executed perfectly, off the hot track and right onto the trailer. Then remembered I shouldn't use the parking brake with hot brakes, so leave it in gear instead. Strap her down, pride myself on remembering to set the parking brake and pull her out of gear. Pile in the truck and then decide it would be nice to grab a bottle of water for the road. As I'm circling the paddock, I just happen to catch a glance inside my garage to find my tool box and other accessories sitting on the bench. If I hadn't been thirsty, I'd would have left it there.
Old 04-20-2015 | 04:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

after parking the car in/on the trailer put it in gear, leave it there until the car is strapped down.

carry a spare battery for any remotes

use trailer wheel chocks your truck transmission will thank you
Old 04-20-2015 | 05:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Always put tow vehicle parking brake on. ALWAYS
Old 04-20-2015 | 05:09 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Do not let anyone else hook up the trailer, load the car into the trailer nor attach the tie downs to the car.......it's your two vehicle, trailer and race car, you are responsible for it.

At Road America, at the Hawk vintage race, they have a "load in day" on Wednesday, where they individually lead tow vehicles with trailers up to their designated paddock spot. Many racers arrive the night before and drop their trailers on the grassy parking area next to the registration building and then drive their tow vehicles to wherever they are staying for the evening. A couple of years ago I saw a toterhome owner do just that, and when he reconnected the toterhome to it's large stacker trailer, he forgot to close the fifth wheel hitch. While going up the very steep hill next to the Gear Box food concesssion, somehow the trailer's tongue came out of the fifth wheel. Luckily the chains stopped the trailer from running back down the hill and luckily it was at Road America where there were all manner of wreckers and other safety equipment but it was quite the job to get the trailer back onto the fifth wheel..........
Old 04-20-2015 | 05:13 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Oh, and disconnect the winch from the race car, once it is in the trailer and securely tied down
and.....hit the battery cut off switch once the car is in the trailer so you've got a charged battery once you get to wherever you are going......and.....take the race car out of gear, once it is tied down, so that it isn't rocking against the gears if the tie downs loosen up.......which means you should check the tie downs for tightness after X number of miles of towing.....
Old 04-20-2015 | 05:35 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Don't get interrupted while in the middle of your car-on-trailer "process". Too easy to forget sometime when distracted. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-20-2015 | 06:07 PM
j patterson
Advanced

Great thread- Not much to add except---- Don't go where you can't see and haven't been before. (Unless you think you can back out. )

Maybe-- Think the trailer tires might need air? They do.
Old 04-20-2015 | 06:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For enclosed trailers, make sure your car is actually in the trailer before leaving.

Quick Reply: Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps