Sponsored by:

Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If you had good results can you share what you bought?

I was towing with an open trailer once and didn't realize a tired had shredded until I heard it. The trailer, albeit unloaded, remained stable at highway speed with the shredded tire. Bent the steel fender to hell!
Sure. i did way too much reading on this (i tend to obsess about the most simple purchases LOL). I bought the TireTracker, it was around $200. There are approx. 6 companies that do the majority of the business, but really only 2 types of monitors with 3 falling in one category and 3 in the other. For example, tiretracker is the same thing as tireminder.

lots of discussion on this in the RV forums and videos on youtube showing how they work and program
Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had good results can you share what you bought?

I was towing with an open trailer once and didn't realize a tired had shredded until I heard it. The trailer, albeit unloaded, remained stable at highway speed with the shredded tire. Bent the steel fender to hell!
We have had good results with TireTracker - recommend Lawrence RV Accessories 936-329-2364 - called and had equipment in 2 days - a few long trips and piece of mind.
We also switched from "trailer" tires to "truck" tires and wheels . . .

Regards,
Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,111 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Thanks for the info - I think this is ~$300 well spent!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:05 PM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the tsttruck.com TPMS and have found it to be very good.

The receiver has a stubby (1-1/2") antenna and the unit comes with an optional dipole antenna on a 6' lead. As long as the unit is mounted high in the tow vehicle, the stubby works well.

A couple of the wheel senders went weird after a couple of years so I replaced them.

One big note of caution: those screw-on senders can cause rubber valve stems to come unseated. In one trip I had three flat trailer tires, all due to the valve stems leaking. The TPMS reported those flats in plenty of time, but it also CAUSED the flats! I suspect the 75mph limit in NV and UT helped

So... if you're going to use the screw-on senders, get metal valve stems.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sboxin
We have had good results with TireTracker - recommend Lawrence RV Accessories 936-329-2364 - called and had equipment in 2 days - a few long trips and piece of mind.
We also switched from "trailer" tires to "truck" tires and wheels . . .

Regards,
Good info here and very timely. I just purchased a TireTracker for my new enclosed trailer.

Thanks fellas
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Also - always keep the to change a tire w/ the trailer or tow vehicle (if open). Carry one of these -
Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp: Automotive Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp: Automotive
otherwise, you might overload your jack.

And carry extra wheels bolts in case you lose an entire wheel or two. Don't ask. lol
Old 04-29-2015, 03:34 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Good info here and very timely. I just purchased a TireTracker for my new enclosed trailer.

Thanks fellas
Gladly - we are here to serve, entertain, and occasionally remind ourselves of our own mishaps.
All attendees at Intro to DE programs should be warned that someday they will want a trailer, that they will get a trailer (as well as a race car to put in it) and that the trailer will provide them with an endless source of stories.
But its not as bad as it seems; I've hauled a lot of trailer miles and only have a few good stories.
I hope to not have any more.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned yet: Don't put the ramps away until your car is completely tied down.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Rule # whatever - Make sure not to scare the living **** out of yourself every time the sun comes up and you catch a glimpse of your trailer in the rear view mirror and think someone is tailgating you!

Every time! Every time I go to the track this happens to me! ....stupid.
I can't tell you how many times i thought I had a Yellow 981S tailgating me these past few days'.....

Quick Reply: Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps