Sponsored by:

Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
For enclosed trailers, make sure your car is actually in the trailer before leaving.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Don't get interrupted while in the middle of your car-on-trailer "process". Too easy to forget sometime when distracted. Ask me how I know.
So true!

Originally Posted by j patterson
Don't go where you can't see and haven't been before. (Unless you think you can back out. )
A classic!!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

on Featherlight open trailer's, remove drivers side wheel fenders, Before driving car onto trailer, so you can open the door, vs climbing out the window.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Always put tow vehicle parking brake on. ALWAYS
Somebody told me that once, and it should have been in my list. It will save the park pawl in an automatic and will hold if a manual tranny is left in neutral.

True story, circa the early 1990s:

I rent a u-haul, the biggest they have, a 24ft International diesel with a 5 speed stick and an open car hauler. Load up the truck with everything I own, set the parking brake, but leave the transmission in neutral. (expecting the parking brake to actually work on a u-haul is pretty funny right there). Proceed to load up the car and the whole rig starts to roll as I get the car fully up on the trailer. At this point the car's brakes are pretty useless. Thank God I was near the bottom of the bowl in the parking lot and there was nothing to hit. It rolled back and forth a few times and stopped.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 172 Posts

Follow trucker mantra. When in doubt GOAL. Get Out And Look.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

If you are loading an open trailer make sure your trailer hitch is actually engaged and not just resting on the ball.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

This is an awesome and very timely thread.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
#16 Make sure you always leave your race car keys in your race car or your tow vehicle - don't leave them at home.
I was at the track last week and some guy did this same exact thing! What a coincidence!

[QUOTE=Steward B.;12219603]Oh, and disconnect the winch from the race car, once it is in the trailer and securely tied down
[QUOTE]

Actually, I usually leave it tied on as the last line of defense. Rather buy a new winch than a new car!

Originally Posted by brownan
Don't get interrupted while in the middle of your car-on-trailer "process". Too easy to forget sometime when distracted. Ask me how I know.
This, perhaps, is the most important rule. Every close call I have ever had was because this rule was violated.

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
on Featherlight open trailer's, remove drivers side wheel fenders, Before driving car onto trailer, so you can open the door, vs climbing out the window.
I have done this so many times!

Originally Posted by rlm328
If you are loading an open trailer make sure your trailer hitch is actually engaged and not just resting on the ball.
That's what she said.

Rule # whatever - Make sure not to scare the living **** out of yourself every time the sun comes up and you catch a glimpse of your trailer in the rear view mirror and think someone is tailgating you!

Every time! Every time I go to the track this happens to me! ....stupid.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is indeed timely. I just picked up my open car trailer and towed my car from NHMS yesterday. I didn't consider leaving the car in neutral, that's a good tip.

No one has mentioned crossed versus straight tie downs

The trailer manual seems to mention checking lug nut torques over and over. Something about the lateral forces making them loosen more often. Not sure how true that is.

I still have no idea how far forward to pull my car on the thing. I kind of left it equidistant between the built in tie downs without knowing better.

Probably should have, you know, read the manual better.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

For those of you with open trailers ... do not leave expensive camera on the trailer when you leave the track ... ask me how I know !!!

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Player0
The trailer manual seems to mention checking lug nut torques over and over. Something about the lateral forces making them loosen more often. Not sure how true that is.
Yup. I find at least one lug nut that's loose roughly every other trip.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
For enclosed trailers, make sure your car is actually in the trailer before leaving.
This post wins the internet for the day!!!

Wrt to the winch, I always leave mine attached as a safety. My winch is powered by the truck, so as long as I disconnect the cable that powers it there is no chance for it to accidentally engage.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why leave the car in neutral on the trailer, instead of in gear?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Tow Vehicle overhang (the distance from the center of the rear axle to the tow ball) - less is more.

The shorter the distance from the center of the rear axle to the tow ball reduces the leverage any side load on the tow ball has on the rear tires, and the vehicle will feel more in control.

I have seen an Audi Q5 or VW Toureg tow a trailer better than a Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator, where the short overhang makes up for a shorter wheel base.

I am also a BIG fan of the Reece cam load leveling bars that push the trailer back to straight behind the tow vehicle using the weight of the trailer being carried by the bars.

And carry a small grinder for when your friend locks his keys in the trailer and needs to cut the lock off, and he doesn't have an extra set of keys. (This has a corollary; when something breaks on the race car ALWAYS buy two replacement parts to prevent a second failure.)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

# Whatever - don't forget to lock ramps. Another example of not being distracted when loading up. last year when coming from NJMP to LI i'm on the Cross Bronx Exp. Those that know this road know there are hardly NO places to pull over. i'm in the right lane and two guys in a pickup pull up next to me and motioning to get my attention.

I figure this probably wasn't good so i open my window. "Hey, both of your ramps are hanging out around 6-8 ft". "holy Sh*t", on the Cross Bronx of all places. I happened to look over and saw a really big area to pull over immediately to my right. i pulled over got out and sure enough - Both ramps are literally hanging out of their holder!

it was a trailex open and what was weird was while the lock was no where to be found, the little pin that goes into the lock was there in it's place. that means the pin bounced up and out of it's place, the little flappy door dropped and the pin landed back in it's hole!! no idea how that happened.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I pulled that keys on bumpr move a few weeks ago....just now got all the locks changed out. I feel for you Mike.

Quick Reply: Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps