AutoX

This is a great time to be a fan
Old 10-19-2015 | 02:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Ugggg. The one race I miss all year...

Looks like the championship is tighter than ever. Nice to see Ducati battling up front and able to maintain pace the whole race.

I'm going to have to try to find video of the race online to watch.
MotoGP is very protective of their copyrights and takes down all Youtube videos of their races in quick fashion.

I did find one, in French with annoying pop up ads, but it's the best one online right now.

Old 10-25-2015 | 08:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Didn't miss the race this week. Things just got REAL interesting.

Feud of words off the track track spills over into the race. I can see both sides and Rossi's claims that Marques was deliberately slowing him last week and then again this week. I'm a huge Rossi fan but still not sure I like the way it ended.

Rossi starting from the back next race is going to make the championship quite difficult
Old 10-25-2015 | 12:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I call latest Malaysia race results a complete BS. Typical dirty Rossi tactics. 1st he tries to stir $hit up via media by accusing Marques, then deliberately runs him off and pushes him to a dnf.
Wtf, I can't believe all he ever got was a start from the back of the pack..
He has a very good bike and has a strong chance to still win the championship even if he starts from the back. Rossi should have been stripped off his points at a minimum. Total bs ruling.
If I were Marques, I would take him out next round. Time to pay up. What is the worst they could do to Marques, make him start from the back of the field at the following race (next season).
This is not over. Marques is not a push over. I expect him to retaliate in a big fashion. Rossi just put a huge bulls eye on his back. I lost complete respect for Rossi.
Old 10-26-2015 | 02:28 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I call latest Malaysia race results a complete BS. Typical dirty Rossi tactics. 1st he tries to stir $hit up via media by accusing Marques, then deliberately runs him off and pushes him to a dnf.
He has a very good bike and has a strong chance to still win the championship even if he starts from the back. Rossi should have been stripped off his points at a minimum. Total bs ruling.
If I were Marques, I would take him out next round. Time to pay up. What is the worst they could do to Marques, make him start from the back of the field at the following race (next season).
This is not over. Marques is not a push over. I expect him to retaliate in a big fashion. Rossi just put a huge bulls eye on his back. I lost complete respect for Rossi.
Although it was VERY CLEAR Marquez was slowing Rossi up in Australia and then again today to assist Lorenzo, I think Rossi lost his mind and was fed up with the interference. Part of the blame has to be laid upon MotoGp for no intervention from them on "Fair Play" on Marquez part. Other series police this type of behavior with an iron fist but there was no comment from MotoGP this week after it got personal during the Thursday news conferences and it's anyone's guess what is going to happen in Spain.

However, if you really think that Rossi has any shot at the title from the back of the pack, you really haven't been watching closely. There is 0% chance in a dry race of coming close to the front and only a DNF on Lorenzo's part will lift Rossi to the tile. MotoGp has basically made the last race of the year (a year with the best racing) a moot point.
Old 10-26-2015 | 07:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

We caught up with MotoGP Race Director Mike Webb in the Sepang paddock to discuss the punishment handed to world championship leader Valentino Rossi for 'deliberate contact' with Marc Marquez in Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rossi was given three Penalty Points for causing the clash that put Marquez down and out of the race, after which the Italian rode to third behind Dani Pedrosa and Jorge Lorenzo.

“I'm not going to quote what the riders said in the hearing but I can give you a general idea,” Webb began. “So from what we saw it would appear to be a deliberate move on Rossi's part to push Marquez off the track, or push him wide.

“We heard from both riders. Marquez told us that he was just riding his normal race and minding his own business, making passes on Valentino without contact. Which is true. And that he had no intention of disturbing Valentino.

“Valentino on the other side said it was clear to him that Marc was deliberately slowing down the pace and making it difficult for Valentino to race. That he deliberately ran wide in the turn in order to give himself an advantage in order to get away from Marquez.

“Finally, we actually believe there is fault on both sides.

“Despite what Marquez said we think he was deliberately trying to affect the pace of Valentino. However he didn't actually break any rules. Whatever we think about the spirit of the championship, according to the rule book he didn't make contact. His passes were clean. He rode within the rules.

“Valentino reacted to what he saw as provocation from Marquez and unfortunately his reaction was a manoeuvre that was against the rules. It's irresponsible riding, causing a crash. So he's been penalised for that. We believe the contact was deliberate. He says he did not want Marquez to crash, but he did want to run him wide.”

No decision was taken during the actual race as Webb said he wanted to speak to both riders and watch the video replays at length.

Asked about Rossi appearing to kick-out at Marquez, causing the fall, the New Zealander replied:

“Rossi's evidence is that his foot came off the foot-peg as a result of the contact. From all the video evidence there is no clear shot that definitely shows that his foot slipped off the foot-peg because of contact or that he deliberately kicked. I don't have that as a 'smoking gun' if you like.”

Because Rossi already has one Penalty Point he will be forced to start the Valencia season finale from the back of the grid.

In terms of the actual punishment, Webb was asked to explain why Rossi received three Penalty Points - not more or less.

"It's a precedent. The last time this happened where a rider deliberately made a manoeuvre that ended up in a crash was at Jerez this year [Hanika against Guevara]. In that case we awarded five Penalty Points because the rider [Hanika] admitted he did it deliberately and it was as a result of him being frustrated with the other rider.

“So in this case Valentino maintains he did not deliberately make the manoeuvre. However our view of the whole situation - looking at all the evidence - is that he deliberately ran wide and therefore deliberately caused the contact by trying to run Marquez off the track.

“Hanika was a blatant 'Yes, I tried to hit the other rider, I wanted to hurt him'. This case was 'I did it by mistake' but the end result was still a crash."

When deciding on the penalty, Race Direction also took into account some 'provocation' from Marquez.

"It's my opinion on the way he was riding, the lap time, my perception is that as many riders do he [Marquez] was trying to change the race," Webb said. "But I was very clear with him that he didn't break a rule. So he's not been penalised.

"However we took that into account when making the penalty on Rossi, that he certainly had some provocation. But, as I said to him, it doesn't matter what the provocation is. You can't react in a way that causes a rider to crash."

Even if Rossi had received five Penalty Points at Sepang it would have had the same back-of-the-grid outcome for Valencia. Only if Rossi had been given six or more Penalty Points (to add to the Penalty Point from Misano) would he have triggered the next level of punishment, which is a pit lane start.

Rossi will take a seven point lead over team-mate Lorenzo into the title showdown.

Lorenzo described Rossi's punishment as "unfair" and believes he should have faced a much harsher sanction, while Rossi felt "disappointed" at the penalty.

The Marquez-Rossi feud had been simmering since the Italian slammed the Spaniard in Thursday's pre-event press conference, claiming Marquez had tried to help Lorenzo at Phillip Island.

“We weren't really concerned with [Marquez's] Phillip Island race, especially given what Marc said about having problems with his front tyre, then things came back and he went as fast as he could and won the race," Webb said.

“So it's hard to understand that was a deliberate attempt to slow Rossi down. We didn't see it that way.

“I have a different opinion about today's race. I think he [Marquez] was doing something like that, but many riders in many classes do the same thing and there isn't a rule against it.”
Old 10-26-2015 | 11:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Extraordinary turn of events.
Old 10-27-2015 | 03:55 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

I agree with this. Rossi was an ******* and should've been punished as such. How did Marquez deliberately slow him down? All I saw in both races was Marquez riding as hard as he could without crashing - you know, he's done several of those this year and I'm sure he's now very focused on not crashing out.

I saw many instances of Marquez getting squirrely in the last 2 races and I think that's why he wasn't putting down his usual Qualifying-lap speeds during races. Huge problem for Marquez this year has been consistency. I think he was trying to be more consistent by not riding on the absolute ragged edge as he has done for the past 3 years.

I agree, if I was Marquez I'd take Rossi out next race. What has he got to lose?? Make Rossi lose the championship - he asked for it.
Old 10-27-2015 | 11:37 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Marquez is a punk kid. Un boludo de mierda! He was slowing Rossi intentionally in the last two races. The unwritten rule is 'you do not interfere with drivers who are fighting for the championship when you are out of it'. He should have been set down for his actions before it came to this point. Marc has a history of crashing. In fact, he crashed himself out in almost half of the races this year. That alone makes Rossi's culpability suspect.
Old 10-27-2015 | 11:47 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the actions of Marquez were not evident in Australia, they certainly were in Malaysia. His riding was not as sharp as it normally is and I watch each and every race. It was reckless and the only reason there was no contact was because Rossi was forced to sit up.

As mentioned, Rossi did the wrong thing, but what can he do? He has a guy who is fast and not part of the championship purposely slowing him down to help a fellow countryman win the title?

I posted the above race stewards response to the incident because he admitted that it's clear Marquez was slowing Rossi and interfering in the outcome of the race, but MOTOGP HAS NO RULES AGAINST THAT How is there no rule against slowing, blocking, affecting race results? :roll eyes:

It's one thing when two guys that are in the championship go at it (Senna/Prost), quite another when someone else gets into someone else's business -- and is on a different team!

For all those that say Marquez should just crash Rossi out, perhaps Rossi's fellow countrymen should just crash Lorenzo out and the championship will be decided right there and then for Rossi? See any difference now?
Old 10-27-2015 | 01:33 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFGT3
If the actions of Marquez were not evident in Australia, they certainly were in Malaysia. His riding was not as sharp as it normally is and I watch each and every race. It was reckless and the only reason there was no contact was because Rossi was forced to sit up.

As mentioned, Rossi did the wrong thing, but what can he do? He has a guy who is fast and not part of the championship purposely slowing him down to help a fellow countryman win the title?

I posted the above race stewards response to the incident because he admitted that it's clear Marquez was slowing Rossi and interfering in the outcome of the race, but MOTOGP HAS NO RULES AGAINST THAT How is there no rule against slowing, blocking, affecting race results? :roll eyes:

It's one thing when two guys that are in the championship go at it (Senna/Prost), quite another when someone else gets into someone else's business -- and is on a different team!

For all those that say Marquez should just crash Rossi out, perhaps Rossi's fellow countrymen should just crash Lorenzo out and the championship will be decided right there and then for Rossi? See any difference now?
So from making it a personal issue between Rossi and and Marquez, you want it to be a national issue, lol. Love it!
Don't forget, who started this crap, Rossi did. He has had preferential treatment throughout the yr because he is Rossi. He went off track and was still allowed to score a win, where else do you see that?
Lets be honest, if anything Rossi has benefited from lack of rules more than getting hurt from them.
Old 10-27-2015 | 03:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

So from making it a personal issue between Rossi and and Marquez, you want it to be a national issue, lol. Love it!
Don't forget, who started this crap, Rossi did. He has had preferential treatment throughout the yr because he is Rossi. He went off track and was still allowed to score a win, where else do you see that?
Lets be honest, if anything Rossi has benefited from lack of rules more than getting hurt from them.
All your points do not seem logical and appear clouded by hate for a particular rider. How exactly did Rossi "start this crap" (your words not mine) by winning a race? If you're referring to the race in the middle of the season, go back and watch the video. Rossi was leading the race and Marquez dive-bombed him on the last corner and pushed him off track and they both finished the race in the order they should have. Rossi has no say in the decision of the race stewards so don't know what "crap" you speak of.

I'm not saying Rossi doesn't have some benefit of the doubt based on his body of work over several years, but he's not going up against a nobody. Marquez is the defending 2 time World Champion and the future of the sport hardly someone who doesn't have their own clout.

Finally, what you and others fail to explain is the reason for Marquez to be involved and slow down Rossi when he isn't part of the championship battle nor even remotely affiliated with Yamaha? The only rationale can be nationalism for his countryman. It's beyond me why this is even allowed to take place, but it's happening and allowed to go on per MotoGP. I don't think even the most stanch Rossi fans would even dream of having someone slow down or crash out Lorenzo so Rossi can win the title, but for some reason, Marquez appears he should get involved in something he is not a part of. It's a shame because this was perhaps the most exciting season in a long time with a great finish until Marquez got involved.
Old 10-27-2015 | 04:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

By crap I mean starting his public tirade before the weekend began. Talk is cheap, beat Marquez on the track and you shut everyone up. The issue is he can't beat Marques and had to draw bad blood by publicly airing his frustrations. What was he thinking was going to be the outcome? Most would have a similar reaction to Rossi's accusations.

Also, hasn't Rossi done similar crap in the past? Pot calling the kettle black. What he did was deliberate and he got away with it. He scored points when he caused Marquez a DNF with zero points.

If nationalism is the driving factor, why are spaniards that are not named Lorenzo wining the last few rounds? If they really want to help their countryman, they would let him thru and allow him to take maximum points. Not sure why anyone would even consider this as a possibility. It just is absurd.
Old 10-27-2015 | 04:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

By crap I mean starting his public tirade before the weekend began. Talk is cheap, beat Marquez on the track and you shut everyone up. The issue is he can't beat Marques and had to draw bad blood by publicly airing his frustrations. What was he thinking was going to be the outcome? Most would have a similar reaction to Rossi's accusations.

Also, hasn't Rossi done similar crap in the past? Pot calling the kettle black. What he did was deliberate and he got away with it. He scored points when he caused Marquez a DNF with zero points.

If nationalism is the driving factor, why are spaniards that are not named Lorenzo wining the last few rounds? If they really want to help their countryman, they would let him thru and allow him to take maximum points. Not sure why anyone would even consider this as a possibility. It just is absurd.
Got it, I understand your "crap" comment now. The only thing I can think of on his public airing of his issue is that fact that there is nothing that can be done about it (i.e. blocking, slowing him down as per the rules). There's always been an unwritten rule that you don't mess with the guys who are still in the championship, but Marquez is putting himself in it (before the airing of dirty laundry by Rossi) and perhaps this was a way of putting this out in the public however, Marquez continued on and that's where the frustration with pushing him off his bike exploded.

With regard to why Rossi doesn't beat Marquez, that's just nonsense. Rossi is miles ahead of Marquez in the points and it speaks for itself. Marquez was not racing to win but riding to slow him down. If you watch back, Marquez and Rossi have their little scrap at the beginning and at one point, Rossi gives the signal with his left hand to let's work together and catch Pedrosa and Lorenzo, but Marquez didn't want to do that and it's at that point Marquez was divebombing corners to where he was running wide just to mess Rossi up and then the push happens.

regarding nationalism, the only other spaniard that is not named Lorenzo and Marquez is winning is because he is a professional and doing his job. Marquez is a little $hit punk that is only getting away with this because there isn't a rule against slowing another rider down. Rossi's downfall and the reason why he won't win the title this year is because he reacted on track to Marquez where he should have beat the $hit out of him in the paddock. No idea if MotoGP has a rule against that either.
Old 10-27-2015 | 07:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ahem, just a reminder, Pedrosa ( a Spaniard) won the last round. Marquez (another Spaniard) won the round before that. Different people and they were both racing for Honda, not Spain. If your theory is true, why would Marquez try to win and score maximum points and pass Lorenzo on the last lap in the last turn. That was an extra 5 points for Lorenzo. Same goes for Pedrosa. The "professional" Pedrosa also heavily criticized Rossi for his actions. Is he still a Professional?

We can agree to disagree but Rossi brought this upon himself. He does not deserve any points from Malaysia. I hope justice is served and he gets taken down like he deserves to be.

Quick Reply: F1 versus Moto GP