Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design the Best Balaclava

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:40 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This seems (seams?) way too complicated. Isn't it just some phyllo dough, ground pistachios, honey and spices?

Oh wait, that's baklava...
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Added: Oh and check out the reduced neck area fabric..no more bunching and still have nice coverage!
Why? The neck fabric bunching makes the sock cooler and baggier reduces fire damage the same way a loose fitting suit vs. a tight fitting suit and will prevent dragging when turning your head left and right correct??
Old 12-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Design it like a Nomex G-String for the face and everyone will be happy... right up until their nose melts off.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
This seems (seams?) way too complicated. Isn't it just some phyllo dough, ground pistachios, honey and spices?

Oh wait, that's baklava...
It would be MUCH easier to make baklava!
Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Why? The neck fabric bunching makes the sock cooler and baggier reduces fire damage the same way a loose fitting suit vs. a tight fitting suit and will prevent dragging when turning your head left and right correct??
Cooler no. If it's too baggy it will double up and be hotter. And the chin strap is already making it tight around the top of your neck. But yes, you are spot on with loose fitting stuff...you've done your homework. All FR works better with an air gap between the fabric and the skin...that where TPP factor comes in (thermal protection).

However, once we strap in and get in the car, everything is wrapped tightly around us anyway. So, I wonder how much this makes a difference given what we do. But, this balaclava won't be that tight around the neck, just reduced fabric so it doesn't double up as much. You'll still have plenty of room for an air gap in places where we already have them.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Design it like a Nomex G-String for the face and everyone will be happy... right up until their nose melts off.
Ha, yeah it's hard to hit the mark for everyone...no way to really accomplish that at our size. My goal is to make every version better in some way each time we produce. Ain't gonna be easy. But, absolutely nothing has been easy with this company, so I'm used to it.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-06-2015, 02:27 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Stand has a new feature that incorporates an emergency helmet remover into the balaclava. Would love to see that feature, i believe they are licensing to others?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Stand has a new feature that incorporates an emergency helmet remover into the balaclava. Would love to see that feature, i believe they are licensing to others?
Yes, Matt sent me his to take a look. I really like the feature and have a great deal of respect for Stand 21. Nice, smart people there.

The idea is simple and effective. The only thing negative I could see in it was the thickness of it coupled with the balaclava. I do have two different ways of accomplishing safe helmet removal with less bulk, but I'm a bit far off from it. I need a couple more of me's. Just not enough resources to go down that path as of yet. It would be another area that I would seek patent protection in before releasing. Unfortunately, I've found out the hard way many companies aren't out to play fair. There are two large and well-known companies that have tried to steal my fabric ideas. Thankfully, my suppler is very loyal. So, I been a lot more calculating since then.

Coming to PRI?

Quick Reply: Design the Best Balaclava