Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Design the Best Balaclava

I've talked with many concerning balaclavas. If you could design your own, what would be different?

For example, one of the biggest complaints I get is the seams around the face.

Also for the seams on top of the head, many that I've seen do not use a true flatlock stitch and instead use a cover stitch. Flatlock merges two pieces of fabric together to get the flattest most comfortable seam while a cover stitch threads over two overlaying pieces of material, which looks the same but is thicker and less comfortable.

Also, I'm guilty of pulling mine down below my mouth so I can breath easier in my helmet. Anyone else do the same thing?

Any suggestions or comments are most appreciated!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

The seams on the opening close to the face could be uncomfortable depending on your helmet fit.

I have one that has the seams on the sides (rather than on top) which is very comfortable.

I would prefer them to be thicker over the ears and with a longer "skirt"so they are easier to tuck in.

Provide for a headphone cable and/or a drink line. A tighter fit under the chin/neck area would be nice as there would be less bunching up with the helmet strap.

I do not pull it below my mouth and thus prefer a tighter fitting one so it does not roll down.

BTW, I prefer single eye port.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I have one that has the seams on the sides (rather than on top) which is very comfortable.

I would prefer them to be thicker over the ears and with a longer "skirt"so they are easier to tuck in.

Provide for a headphone cable and/or a drink line. A tighter fit under the chin/neck area would be nice as there would be less bunching up with the helmet strap.

I do not pull it below my mouth and thus prefer a tighter fitting one so it does not roll down.
Got a pic or type that has seams on the sides?

Regs state at least 6 inches on the skirt, but I think 8 is optimal for tucking in. I also started putting it on before zipping up the top half of my suit.

Could def do something that would gradually bring a tighter fit as it goes below the chin.

Thanks Juan!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:48 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
BTW, I prefer single eye port.
I know I'm dating myself, but I think of a double eye port, I always think of this!
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I also pull mine below my chin. I have no facial hair, so it's not as important.

I would prefer a larger eye port. I only do DE's and usually wear sunglasses with my helmet. A tight eye port makes wearing glasses difficult and can bend the temple of the glasses. Putting the glasses on top of the balaclava doesn't work well either - they move around. Another option would be two small eyeglass holes.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Juan... hole for earphones and longer skirt.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I also pull mine below my chin. I have no facial hair, so it's not as important.

I would prefer a larger eye port. I only do DE's and usually wear sunglasses with my helmet. A tight eye port makes wearing glasses difficult and can bend the temple of the glasses. Putting the glasses on top of the balaclava doesn't work well either - they move around. Another option would be two small eyeglass holes.
I can see that being a problem. Most are 2 layer around the face, which is a good thing for protection. But, it makes the eye ports very tight.

Good point...a lot of guys wear glasses instead of, or in addition to their helmet shields. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJR911
Agree with Juan... hole for earphones and longer skirt.
Should be able to do that pretty easily (holes). Just trying to picture how easy or difficult it would be to put in the earbuds through the holes. They have to be small enough and stretchy enough to "reseal" that area.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

How about a balaclava which acts as a helmet eject system in case of injury. I have the bladder type of helmet eject but was told that not all of the emergency crews have the little pump to inflate the bladder.

I heard someone has a balaclava on the market which can be used to help pull the helmet off. Having never seen it I imagine it comes down past the neck and can be pulled out and away from the helmet to pry it off without injuring the person's neck.

I would buy something like that.

On another note, I prefer on big single eye port. Since I normally have some sort of facial hair a balaclava is a must for me. Plus it helps keep your helmet clean.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
How about a balaclava which acts as a helmet eject system in case of injury. I have the bladder type of helmet eject but was told that not all of the emergency crews have the little pump to inflate the bladder.

I heard someone has a balaclava on the market which can be used to help pull the helmet off. Having never seen it I imagine it comes down past the neck and can be pulled out and away from the helmet to pry it off without injuring the person's neck.

I would buy something like that.

On another note, I prefer on big single eye port. Since I normally have some sort of facial hair a balaclava is a must for me. Plus it helps keep your helmet clean.
Yes that's a great idea! I've seen one, but can't remember where.

The trick is to do it without affecting comfort. Will look into this more deeply definitely.

I think everyone should wear a balaclava for the reasons you've listed. Without one, there is always a gap between the helmet and suit that enables flame to reach bare skin.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Should be able to do that pretty easily (holes). Just trying to picture how easy or difficult it would be to put in the earbuds through the holes. They have to be small enough and stretchy enough to "reseal" that area.
I like most of Juan's points. For the earphones, you only need one button hole located center, below the chin strap and just above the race suit collar. It only needs to be large enough to pass the 1/8 headphone jack, so standard shirt button hole should suffice.

One pet-peeve of mine is when the forehead area is too loose or large, causing the balaclava to pull down over the eyes everytime you put the helmet on. I sold a new Alpinestar at the track because of that issue. The 2 Sparco's I have are better in that regard.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CCA
I like most of Juan's points. For the earphones, you only need one button hole located center, below the chin strap and just above the race suit collar. It only needs to be large enough to pass the 1/8 headphone jack, so standard shirt button hole should suffice.

One pet-peeve of mine is when the forehead area is too loose or large, causing the balaclava to pull down over the eyes everytime you put the helmet on. I sold a new Alpinestar at the track because of that issue. The 2 Sparco's I have are better in that regard.
Ahh..makes sense on the single button hole. Otherwise, you are trying to thread the wire all the way to the bottom of the balaclava and out of the suit. I've been using integrated headphones in the Stilo, so I didn't pick up on that earlier. Thanks!

Why do you think the Sparco hood is better around the forehead?...does the fabric stretch better or is it just a tighter fit?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Stand21 makes the balaclava with the pulls to remove a helmet.

I would think the pass through holes would be covered with a flap so there is no hole.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Stand21 makes the balaclava with the pulls to remove a helmet.

I would think the pass through holes would be covered with a flap so there is no hole.
Yep, it is. Looks pretty good and it would cover any holes on the side. But, I would really want to hear from anyone that has actually tried this one out for comfort. There is a fine line with what drivers will wear when it comes to comfort, even if it's more safe. I like the concept of it, but it seems it would create another layer on the sides and necessitate a thicker layer where attaches. Most people that I've spoken with want thinner/breathable and better fit. Thoughts on this guys? Thanks Matt!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other that what have already been covered with seams... something that will make it easier to wear glasses. I saw a guy at a race that had a balaclava that looked like it had little pockets / area for the ears. Looked like it would have been great for those that wear prescription glasses and have a tight fitting helmet like Stilio. I wish I had asked where he got it from... I would purchase a few of them if you could have a differentiator such as that.

Quick Reply: Design the Best Balaclava