996 Cup ECU into a 986S racer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 Cup ECU into a 986S racer?

I am working on a build of my 2001 986S into an endurance race car. It should work out that I can balance between the equivalent of GTS3 and GTS4, which is perfect for racing here in the PacNW as well as at the Thunderhill 25 (new baby means I am not there right now for the 2015 edition )

Anyway, one of the biggest headaches is the electronics of the car. My chassis is the last year of the OBD2 models, and from what I read it is difficult if not impossible to remove the immobilizer functionality, which requires I leave a variety of equipment installed that I would rather remove. I want to ditch all alarm functionality and plan to install an Aim dash unit for gauges and logging. Push button start would be wonderful too... don't need a key in the race car, especially with RFID activation which could go awry.

While perusing my December issue of Excellence magazine I see an ad from Bosch Motorspors for the MS 3 Sport GT3 Cup ECU. This claims to support all 996 Cups. I am not a Cup expert so I turn to RL. I assume the earliest Cup cars would have OBD2 and not CAN. This ECU claims CAN output for dash/logger use which would be stellar. Of course it would not have any sort of immobilizer functionality which is the primary draw.

Is there any chance this ECU would work as a retrofit to a 986S, running a 3.2L or 3.4L M96? Alternative ideas to remove the immobilizer? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Just talked to Brian at Sakata Electronics in California. Sounds like there are some other solutions from Bosch and Motec that would be a bit more plug and play for my car. Still not cheap (what race car part is?) but it will result in a better and safer car.

You may now continue your regularly scheduled Friday activities
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Not affiliated but I believe these guys can remove immobilizer. I know they do it for the older cars, check with them for your application.
There are other ways to "trick" the system and remove some parts, but having them delete it is by far the easiest way for you. This way at least you don't need to buy a new ECU.

http://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-99...cu-tester.html
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I had ecu doctor remove the immobilizer in my 1999 996 race car, works like a charm. I think the cost was around 650.00. They remove the immobilizer chip in the ecu and replace it. it will let you ditch all the security system hardware and associated wiring. Very pleased with the work

Quick Reply: 996 Cup ECU into a 986S racer?