Sponsored by:

Downshifting Habits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
So Scott what you are saying is that I need to put the 915 dog box back into production?
That's what it would take to be as fast a Leh was in that video in the Cup Car.

No, your dog box would not be legal for my race class. What I need is for you to modify my gearbox to use G50-style synchros!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Sure you can. Just not as nearly fast as Leh was shifting the Cup Car in the video.
Yep, and as shown clearly by the two videos examined.
new stuff fast, old stuff, not fast, but effective.
I think that just about covers it.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
He has no clue. He SHUFFLE STEERS.
Hee hee hee!!
You guys are too fun!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm noticing personality differences in those from the left coast vs. those from the right. Passive observation

Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

It's the timezones.

https://vimeo.com/108850552

Not sure what syncro's are in a 968 6 speed but assume something G50-ish. Even so, we lose tons of time compared to a PDK or similar. This lap is right on 997 Cup pace. Excuse the year old R comps but the shift times look capable of being faster than the 915 series.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by danielyonker
I'm noticing personality differences in those from the left coast vs. those from the right. Passive observation

I think you mean "passive aggressive observation".
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Isn't that when you're meant to edit someone's post and then say 'fify'?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

This is 1986 F1. I'm guessing it is a dog box tranny but requires quick downshifts with rev matching nonetheless. Watch at about 1:45 Dumfries goes down 5 gears sequentially so smoothly and rapidly.
On a side note, these were turbo era F1 cars that DID sound good!
Other side note: Look at the size of the TV camera mounted on his car!!!!!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Another data point for the OP. I go in sequence 90% of the time (my local track only needs 2 gears, so that helps!). There was one corner at the old autocross track where I'd go from the top of 4th to the middle of 2nd. It was a long straight into a 90°. There I'd brake hard and keep it in 4th until just before turn in and then flick it into 2nd. I tried 4-3-2, but then the braking zone had to stretch out a little bit because I had to divert my attention from threshold braking and it was a measurable time cost.

The right answer is obvious though: PDK is PDQ
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First, the correct answer is 352 Angels can dance on the head of a pin, so anybody with credible proof to the contrary is welcome to post.

Seriously, the "speed" of a shift has to do with the total time of power loss to the wheels. This includes disengagement of the clutch, re-engagement of the clutch, and application of throttle, and as noted, the inertia in the entire reciprocating mass of the power-train... not simply how fast the change in gear occurs.

"synchro lag" if you will, is only a small proportion of this total time.

I would argue that foot speed, mechanical leverage and play in both clutch and throttle linkage add delay into the total process that exceed synchro action by several times.

The driver can "squeeze" much of this delay out of the system by coordinating left foot, right foot and arm movements "anticipating" that each of the other two movements will be executed perfectly so as to avoid a "money shift".

It is perfection of this co-ordination, as well as the confidence of the driver that they will be executed 100 out 100 times correctly that determines shift speed.

PDK works because the computer controls engine power and clutch engagement functions in milliseconds with 100.0 percent reliability.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S

PDK works because the computer controls engine power and clutch engagement functions in milliseconds with 100.0 percent reliability.
Until it goes into limp mode.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Until it goes into limp mode.
Better than engine rebuild mode.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

First, the correct answer is 352 Angels can dance on the head of a pin, so anybody with credible proof to the contrary is welcome to post.

Seriously, the "speed" of a shift has to do with the total time of power loss to the wheels. This includes disengagement of the clutch, re-engagement of the clutch, and application of throttle, and as noted, the inertia in the entire reciprocating mass of the power-train... not simply how fast the change in gear occurs.

I would argue that foot speed, mechanical leverage and play in both clutch and throttle linkage add delay into the total process that exceed synchro action by several times.

The driver can "squeeze" much of this delay out of the system by coordinating left foot, right foot and arm movements "anticipating" that each of the other two movements will be executed perfectly so as to avoid a "money shift".

It is perfection of this co-ordination, as well as the confidence of the driver that they will be executed 100 out 100 times correctly that determines shift speed.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. the reason is the coordination part, most get. its really waiting for the engine and drive trail components to be matched up. in the aston Martin for example, 1st to 2nd is a big jump and the rest are close ratio gears. you have to wait to even upshift, because the revs fall so slowly and have a long way to do. downshifts, are easier, as you are forcing the transmission to speed up to match engine RPM. (either by synchro or drive train (clutch partially disengaged).

so yes, there are some relatively quick shifts in the 911, due to the type of gear box that it is, and engine characteristics. you don't get that with other types of cars , older and newer than the 915 box.

again, nothing is faster, easier or more accurate than the new stuff. and the newest stuff, well , lets just say its cheating.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

+1. Excellent post!

<from an old Alfa racer>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
winders
Race Car

With a 915, that may be true for a downshift, but for an upshift, waiting for the synchro to do its job is what slows everything down....by several times. Unless, of course, you don't care about synchro life.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Habits?