Sponsored by:

Downshifting Habits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches2944
As his instructor, please allow me to defend my position. When racing, or even in DE, at NJMP Thunderbolt, at the end of the front straight, I go from 5 to 3. I have found that it works best for me to not hit 4th. I am not a robot like Leh! If I could downshift like that, I probably would go sequential. As long as you are careful, I see no problem making one move instead of two. I would rather pay attention to braking, and hitting my turn in, than trying to settle the car twice.

P.S. You were getting much smoother all around by the end of the weekend! I had plenty of fun riding right seat
Finally joining R-list, good to see you!

After reading other responses a reason other than smoothing things out that occurred to me was simply focusing on my braking. We both know my brake modulation and timing still needs a lot of work!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:20 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I think god for sequential with auto blip every time I watch Mr. Keen move thru gears on downshifts. I worked with Seth Thomas a couple of years ago and the in-car video comparing the downshifts between the 2 of us was indicative of how good the pros are.

I always blipped with each downshift in my 968. Especially turn 1 at TB, 5, 4 to 3. Good habit to minimize serious over revs.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by blotto649
Interesting concept - never thought of doing this. Is there really that much force if you're pretty much coasting to a stop?
there is always positive interlocking, if there is any force at all.... a little gas not to accelerate the car, but just match the decel forces, makes it slips out as if the car was standing still and not running.

Originally Posted by winders
I am well aware.....but, in my car, turn 2 at Sears Point just doesn't allow it. The uphill braking zone scrubs off speed too fast. If I took the time to downshift to 3rd first, I would be slowing too soon and losing time. If anything, I would get more wear on my synchros because I would be rushing those two shifts versus a slower single shift.
I understand, I think you might be a little closer in ratios than me... don't know, have to see your video.
But, I will say, I don't think the wear might be less, in that there is a larger torque applied to the synchros to downshift skipping a gear . the synchros now have to bring the speed of the driveshaft to a 30% higher speed. but, in a 911 its not as bad of a situation , due to no torque tube inertia like in the 928, so its probably not a big deal.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Go from 5th to 3rd all the time on a few corners we have. Just need to heel / toe / blip correctly. I would guess that n/a cars might be more temperamental due to higher c/r although more responsive to the blipping?
you can do it, and match gears, but that has no bearing on the wear factor Im talking about. remember the gears are all always engaged, all the wear happens at the synchros, and that's what spins up the drive shaft. (well with exception to a little that can be applied through a not-fully-depressed clutch which can help spread the forces to the clutch and flywheel.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
OP asked what people were doing. Not commentary, IIRC.
Oh, and you are the list monitor....... go back to your 928List link.... look at the title..... it says, "discussion forum"...
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Mark, chill out. No reason to be so hostile to Peter or anyone else here.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

is keen rev matching and letting clutch out for every gear? what is the value of letting clutch out for each gear change.. for instance when keen goes from 5 to 1 at the sebring hairpin. is he also braking while doing this? i do not see it...
Old 01-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP here. Much appreciate input.

The consensus seems to be downshift sequential, with a sizeable minority going 5th to 3rd.
Exceptions seem to be for veeeeery slow turns, after short straights/or low entry speeds.

My last 3 DEs were in a higher run group, and I was carrying greater speed into turn 12 at VIR (home track), I found I was better able to handle the steering/entry if I went from 4th to 2nd.

Got to wondering if this is a sustainable practice over the long haul...I'm still early enough in the game (9 or 10 DEs) to correct/avoid bad habits.
Thank you again for generously sharing your thoughts/experiences.

A.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by spencercox
1&2 palm in towards driver "left hand car only"
3&4 palm forward and finger tips back for 4th
5&6 palm out toward pass door.
Never grab the **** like a Corvette !!!!!!!!!
NEVER MISS A SHIFT AGAIN.
As simple as this is, I wasn't doing it until Spencer told me to!
It made a difference for me.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mkd944
Leh Keen sequential downshift from 6th to 1st Turn 7 at Sebring seen here:
Leh Keen at Sebring - YouTube

Mike
I've always loved that vid. It's one of the ones I watch to prep me before I go to Sebring. Too bad there's not a foot work camera. His downshifting on that lap is simply insane. I could never have that kind of speed or coordination on shifts. Really cool to see.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I never feel hostility on this forum, except when I read entries by Dr. Kibort. Maybe i need counseling.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
is keen rev matching and letting clutch out for every gear? what is the value of letting clutch out for each gear change.. for instance when keen goes from 5 to 1 at the sebring hairpin. is he also braking while doing this? i do not see it...
Yes, Leh is moving his feet and his hands about two to two and a half times quicker than most good club racers. He is dipping the clutch, selecting the lower gear (in order), stabbing the accelerator, releasing the clutch, ALL while maintaining steady and HIGH pressure on the brake pedal. This synchronicity can be practiced and learned, but you need a VERY clear vision of what you're doing before you begin to attempt to do it. It's not magic, but it is magical when done well. Leh, Seth, Brady Refenning and a bunch of people do it automatically.

To the OP, you are not "doing it wrong." Do not question whether you are developing bad habits. Just relax...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Leh is moving his feet and his hands about two to two and a half times quicker than most good club racers. He is dipping the clutch, selecting the lower gear (in order), stabbing the accelerator, releasing the clutch, ALL while maintaining steady and HIGH pressure on the brake pedal. This synchronicity can be practiced and learned, but you need a VERY clear vision of what you're doing before you begin to attempt to do it. It's not magic, but it is magical when done well. Leh, Seth, Brady Refenning and a bunch of people do it automatically. To the OP, you are not "doing it wrong." Do not question whether you are developing bad habits. Just relax...
Really need the foot camera there. It's very hard to see, but I'm pretty sure he can't be letting it all the way out, or does the clutch pedal not travel as far as a road car?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
I'm pretty sure he can't be letting it all the way out, or does the clutch pedal not travel as far as a road car?
Michael, he is "dipping" the clutch, i.e. only depressing partially, then releasing fully to spin the intermediate shaft up and to "reconnect" the drivetrain to the wheels.

He prepares for every brake zone requiring a downshift (or multiple downshifts) by lifting his left knee up as he pulls his left foot off the dead pedal (where it is braced in between using it for this purpose and for upshifts), in preparation for "dipping" the clutch for each and every downshift gear selection.

Fair number of pro drivers do this.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
Its sorta like watching Eddie Van Halen play guitar. Its 99% skill and 1% magic.

Actually, I would like to know the answer to your questions as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hostile? was that hostile?
I think Peter knows there is no need or desire for "one of us" to control the direction of any conversation. it's needless, ego-driven posting in my opinion.
Dave, you nor Peter do not dictate the direction of "conversations" here on the list... if you don't like someone expanding on a thought or topic, ignor it. You don't need to post to self promote. (you already paid for that. )
Again, you and others have to get away from the thought that these are the documents of the Porsche " Dead sea Scrolls". These are just the discussions of a bunch of guy talking cars. Go control your own "ask the coach "discussion.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael, he is "dipping" the clutch, i.e. only depressing partially, then releasing fully to spin the intermediate shaft up and to "reconnect" the drivetrain to the wheels. He prepares for every brake zone requiring a downshift (or multiple downshifts) by lifting his left knee up as he pulls his left foot off the dead pedal (where it is braced in between using it for this purpose and for upshifts), in preparation for "dipping" the clutch for each and every downshift gear selection. Fair number of pro drivers do this.
Thanks Peter! Looking forward to catching up in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Habits?