Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
- "Cayman ultimately" or cup, but winter is here and I don't want to not have a car come spring.
It was just about now at this time last year that we started the quest to build the Super Cayman. It was done well before spring (and that was with me saying 'no rush, I can't get at my garage until the spring anyway').
But take your time and enjoy the journey.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Rick, your car is an inspiration, both for myself and for Benoit

There would be lots of time for a build if I had the money in my pocket.

I need to ask the seller of the 997 HOW he managed to get a GTB1 PCA logbook with a 3.8. I would love to end up in GTB1 with this car, NOT in GTB2, so that might be a show-stopper... and make it hard to sell later? But then again, where do all the converted 997 Carrera S' end up if not GTB2? And therefore, why are there not more cars in that class?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:22 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just race it in NASA GTS...more races to choose from and much simpler rule format.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Just race it in NASA GTS...more races to choose from and much simpler rule format.
yea but all his friends are racing in PCA already
Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
It was just about now at this time last year that we started the quest to build the Super Cayman. It was done well before spring (and that was with me saying 'no rush, I can't get at my garage until the spring anyway').
But take your time and enjoy the journey.
all i can say since we mostly just finished benoit Cayman is that there is always things to do on a cayman, even more if its a PDK to get it reliable. GTB1 is a big class to run = $$$

Hey Rick, your car is an inspiration, both for myself and for Benoit

There would be lots of time for a build if I had the money in my pocket.

I need to ask the seller of the 997 HOW he managed to get a GTB1 PCA logbook with a 3.8. I would love to end up in GTB1 with this car, NOT in GTB2, so that might be a show-stopper... and make it hard to sell later? But then again, where do all the converted 997 Carrera S' end up if not GTB2? And therefore, why are there not more cars in that class?
as we discussed together, id like to have proof of that 997 in GTB1
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

I need to ask the seller of the 997 HOW he managed to get a GTB1 PCA logbook with a 3.8. I would love to end up in GTB1 with this car, NOT in GTB2, so that might be a show-stopper... and make it hard to sell later?
That is actually quite easy to do. It is the driver's responsibility to classify the car for the right class in the Annual Tech Inspection Form. It's really an honor system and then up to the scrutineers to catch you cheating if you "misinterpreted" the rules. Here is the PCA Club Racing Compliance language.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Starting from a much lower starting point I was recently looking at the same type of decisions. After years of DE I have always wanted to club race. Was about to dump $12k-$15k into my 944 to cage it out, add halo seats and a fire suppression system.

Spencer at SpeedSport Tuning had the Cayman pictured below for sale. It was more than I was going to spend by a lot. He said words to the effect of "you'll end up here eventually". Had lunch with the wife and then drove back to SST to buy the car. Hoping my first race will be Sebring. I'm not registered, I am still filling out my race license forms, but I do have a hotel reservation!

My point? This is the time of year to buy a car that someone is looking to dump.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
The Grand Am car is a GS car, not a GT? Don't trade then. That engine and gearbox are nowhere near as robust as what you currently have.
^^^ This.....

I've raced x-Koni cars and I've never seen one the wasn't beat to ****. I don't mean it doesn't look OK from the outside, that's just paint and trim. Put one up on a lift and have a profession look at the tub. I've never seen one that wasn't hammered out, had the front or rear clip replaced or both. They were well taken care of, but driven hard and often times into a wall....

We put a 3.8 in a 06' x-Koni a few years ago and I heard it was for sale again. I'd like to know what this car's asking price is. I think we sold our x-Koni w/new 3.8 motor & trans (w/Guard diff) for around $37k and that was with the Bosch ABS system and freshly rebuilt JRZ's. It was also very light with CF doors, hood, roof, and Lexan all around....

BTW, they were all originally 3.6's which classified the cars in GTB1. With a 3.8 you would have to weigh 2,850 min. in GTB2. In GT3 your minimum weight would be 2,931.

You have the best street car Porsche ever built excluding the CGT and you have a cup gear box. For just a little more cost and effort you could have a pretty great race car. Or you could seriously look at SB's....
Old 11-03-2014, 10:22 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

Racing in ' J' seems like the best option. It is very competitive and 996 GT3 is the best car in that class. Lots of good racing in a car that you know well. Besides, there is always more parity in stock classes compared to GT classes.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Don't cut up ur street car any more....once u turn it into a race car it is worth very little to anyone but yourself....and it's not if it gets hit its when

There is a huge difference between a factory race car and a street car with bolt on parts...save you $$ buy a good cup....or buy my perfect cup
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Ffaust,
Has he actually raced it since he installed the 3.8? Maybe that's his old logbook and the car hadn't been classed or raced since the swap.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

You know your car, already have a cup transmission, and J class usually has a pretty good turnout. I would convert it the rest of the way before I'd buy the other car. Sure you'll lose value, but there are 100 other ways to lose money on a racecar. Other than that, I'd go 996 cup on the higher end (Randy's car is super nice!), or spec boxster on the lower end. I'd pick by considering A) what I'd enjoy driving the most, and B) what class is healthy enough in the area I want to race to where I'd have good drivers to race with.

David
Old 11-03-2014, 11:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Rick, your car is an inspiration, both for myself and for Benoit There would be lots of time for a build if I had the money in my pocket.?
Ah, the money problem. I get that.
But the smiles and the # of new friends (and the fun of owning and driving it) made it worthwhile.
But yeah, money...
Might be better to save up and do it right, even if later?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You have the best street car Porsche ever built excluding the CGT and you have a cup gear box. For just a little more cost and effort you could have a pretty great race car. Or you could seriously look at SB's....
Agreed, I might just do it, class-be-damned. Even if Randy doesn't agree VVV

Originally Posted by Izzone
Don't cut up ur street car any more....once u turn it into a race car it is worth very little to anyone but yourself....and it's not if it gets hit its when

There is a huge difference between a factory race car and a street car with bolt on parts...save you $$ buy a good cup....or buy my perfect cup
Would love to.

Originally Posted by GTgears
Ffaust,
Has he actually raced it since he installed the 3.8? Maybe that's his old logbook and the car hadn't been classed or raced since the swap.
Car started life as 3.6 and got 3.8 when the rules changed a bit later, and another new one this year. Despite the PCA logbook saying GTB1, it's a mistake: It's not clear how the car got classified, but seems that it was done hastily at Sebring earlier this year. This is not primarily a PCA race car, hence the mix up.

If I buy the 997, it will be GTB2... or GT-2, -3, -4 (I can't quite figure out the equation)

If I keep mine, it won't be J because, from the rules for stock:

5. Transmission
A. Ratios of ring and pinion and individual gear sets must be as supplied by the factory.
And I'm not even sure it would fit in Prepared - K: (I have R & P changed, but also gear set) Might end up in GTA?

5. Transmission - Ratio of the ring and pinion may be changed. For 996/997/Boxster/Cayman where there is no alternate ring and pinion available, a gear set for all forward gears not on the main shaft may be substituted if the resulting gear ratios for the substituted gears are equivalent to a ring and pinion change.
Seller likes my car, I like his. He wants money on top of my car to do trade but too much for now. Very nice guy, we'll see what happens.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David Edwards
You know your car, already have a cup transmission, and J class usually has a pretty good turnout. I would convert it the rest of the way before I'd buy the other car. Sure you'll lose value, but there are 100 other ways to lose money on a racecar.

Other than that, I'd go 996 cup on the higher end (Randy's car is super nice!), or spec boxster on the lower end. I'd pick by considering A) what I'd enjoy driving the most, and B) what class is healthy enough in the area I want to race to where I'd have good drivers to race with.

David
J would be a no-brainer, but can't fit because of gearing (see last post above), unless I'm missing something?

Yes, cup all the way on those criteria. Might have to look at the one Rivard has for sale in Quebec.

Quick Reply: Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?