Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014 | 12:22 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Default Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am? => BUILD THREAD

My fully prepared 996 GT3 is for sale cause I want to go PCA racing... but still DE. Specs here https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...h-cup-box.html

I might be able to trade the 996 GT3 + a bit of $ for an 05 997 Grand-Am car.

- My GT3 is fully modded but missing cage and strip. Fresh cup box, 36,000 miles on car (1:30 car at Mosport). Mods would bump it from "J" class to Prepared "K" class.

- 05 997 Grand-Am car was raced from the start, is well maintained, and, more importantly, has 6 hours since new crate 3.8 and Copans gearbox refresh (1:27 car at Mosport). Car is GTB.

Don't really care about class as long as there are at least a few cars around me (I am aware of the importance of class for resale, but J, K v. GTB?)

Doing this would be an easy transaction due to local trade; would be easier for me due to car being built; would be financially-neutral; but I would no longer have a GT3 with its strong and sweet Mezger.

I'm leaning towards doing this if we can agree on terms, otherwise I'll just build the GT3 if I don't sell it.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks

PS Would love to get a cup, but until I sell mine it won't happen - not to mention the crappy exchange rate at the moment plus tax and duty if importing from US

Last edited by FFaust; 12-21-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:36 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
In light of some of my recent car transactions, I've learned not to underestimate the value of a simple, local sale. What colour is it?
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

According to rennpoints, only seven K class cars raced nation wide this year. there were about 40 in J and none in GTB. That last one seems hard to believe though.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:42 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Charlie, I take your comment to mean "yeah, go ahead and do it"?

There's a lot of "hidden" value in doing a local trade: All the transaction costs, shipping costs, inspection costs, and unpredictable final sale and purchase price.

Colour is white.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:51 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbelles
According to rennpoints, only seven K class cars raced nation wide this year. there were about 40 in J and none in GTB. That last one seems hard to believe though.
Yeah, I was worried about posting here, fearing that someone would smash my delusion with facts, but you are absolutely right, and this is the main reason why I haven't just gone ahead and done it already (strip my car).

Maybe you got 0 hits for GTB because it should be GTB1 or 2? The 997 I'm considering has a GBT1 logbook but should be GTB2 because of the 3.8?
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

From my experience, DE is usually the first thing that drops off the radar once you're racing. Then, there's the full realization of what racing and test days actually cost. Even if you are DIY.
Old 11-03-2014 | 01:04 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
From my experience, DE is usually the first thing that drops off the radar once you're racing. Then, there's the full realization of what racing and test days actually cost. Even if you are DIY.
Yeah, I found that too.

Yeah, I was worried about posting here, fearing that someone would smash my delusion with facts, but you are absolutely right, and this is the main reason why I haven't just gone ahead and done it already (strip my car).

Maybe you got 0 hits for GTB because it should be GTB1 or 2? The 997 I'm considering has a GBT1 logbook but should be GTB2 because of the 3.8?
yes, lots of GTB1s
Old 11-03-2014 | 01:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is really good and competitive racing in J. I would seriously consider de-moding your car and installing the cage. There is not much racing in K.

The 997 with the 3.8 would need to be in GTB2 as GTB1 limits displacement to 3.6l. There is barely any racing in GTB2 and you will likely be eaten up by the new Cayman builds in the future.

If you're serious about racing, establish the class you want to race in first and then get the car for it. Sound like the closest for you would be J (or sell the car).
Old 11-03-2014 | 09:30 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

J is certainly a good/best option, and I think I would be there if it wasn't for the mods and associated cost to de-mod From what I read in the rule book, I could even see my car being placed in GTA1 the way it sits now

Yeah, the 997 3.8 might not be quite as appealing as I thought it was. Need to remember that when seller and I hook up later today or tomorrow.

Not "serious" about racing yet, but when that comes, I'll be looking at a Cayman. I've been following the insurance company auctions for a few months, looking for a donor, but haven't seen the right one.

Yeah, I'm all over the place, but I really am that open about the whole thing.

I also like the way Matt (mmmuller) has done it: Fully developed 996 GT3 for safe and fast DE + Spec Boxster for fun racing.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:43 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

The Grand Am car is a GS car, not a GT? Don't trade then. That engine and gearbox are nowhere near as robust as what you currently have.
Old 11-03-2014 | 10:51 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

just one glaringly obvious option.... sell the car and buy a spec boxster. Steep learning curve when you transition to the racing ranks (regardless of how competent of a driver you are). I'd recommend diving in with a car on the less pointy end of the spear.

I started in spec miata, moved through the PCA stock and prepared classes and then up to the pointy end of GT4S... Three of my buddies (all GT4 guys) and I jumped ship together and are having a blast in spec boxster.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Not "serious" about racing yet, but when that comes, I'll be looking at a Cayman. I've been following the insurance company auctions for a few months, looking for a donor, but haven't seen the right one.

Yeah, I'm all over the place, but I really am that open about the whole thing.
If you want a Cayman ultimately, why mess with the 997 at all? Just buy or build a Cayman now.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't let your current car and set up influence what car and class you will be racing. Do your research, race some rentals (spec miata, spec boxster, etc.), see how it feels, do some cost calculations, and make your decision regardless whether you can keep the GT3 or not. Btw, why not just replace the GT3 with a 996 cup for both DE and racing? It would seem to be the most natural progression.
Old 11-03-2014 | 12:52 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Btw, why not just replace the GT3 with a 996 cup for both DE and racing? It would seem to be the most natural progression.
And precisely the reason the GTC classes have a rugged reputation in many circles...
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks a whole lot guys.

- Matt, assuming GS is based on the regular Carrera v. the GT (3) cars, then yes, a GS. And yes fully agree about robustness, which is definitely in my favor at the moment. With all my research, you wouldn't believe how many cars I've seen (most including this 997) that have recent, new, rebuilt engines; all regular 996 and 997 cars

- Yes, Spec B is an option, but, since I still plan to DE, and my home track is hp track, I would rather have a "faster" car if only one, for now. Honestly, I have been looking at these. If I found a half-decent one for $25 ish, I would buy it now and not worry about the GT3. More than that and I need to sell the GT3. Remember, there's a huge premium right now to buy from US. Mooty has one for $35, that's $45 + here, and there was another fresh build for $50, which is $65 + here?

- "Cayman ultimately" or cup, but winter is here and I don't want to not have a car come spring. I'm also looking at those, but haven't found one within the budget (I'd rather not build from scratch). The cars I like are the ones for sale on here in the $80+ range, and that is still way below their build costs. But it would indeed make sense to go there...

- Yes, GTC3 would be the ideal situation. Randy has a nice one for sale, asking $80, that translates to $100 + landed here, ouch!

The BEST aspect of the 997 GS car is that it would be a trade so very, very easy. We are meeting later today, but seller is asking for cup money, so it might not happen anyway. I'll report back.

I was/am enamored by that 997, but you guys have injected some reality. There probably is no urgency.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Strip + Cage My 996 GT3 or Trade for 997 Grand-Am?