Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exotics Racing Las Vegas review

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014 | 09:34 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

My irrelevant 2 cents: driven a lot of these and Lamborghini is my least fav with Merc a close 2nd. I'd go Ferrari but some might say I'm biased.

-- Mindy
Old 12-04-2014 | 09:57 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Not irrelevant at all, bro. I'm more of a P-car guy myself, so just looking to spice it up a bit with some other brands. I was actually more interested in the McLaren, but they dont have it available in Vegas this weekend.
Old 12-04-2014 | 06:40 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine was invited to a ride and drive with the new Huracan at VIR because he's a current Gallardo Spider owner... Said that they had the new 650S there as a comparo. Told me he's now considering the McLaren as a replacement to the Gallardo. Oops, backfire! Haha.
Old 12-05-2014 | 08:11 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911

Yes, the instructors prattled incessantly,

Made me appreciate Porsches even more.
YES on both
Old 12-08-2014 | 03:17 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

OK, here's my take. Nothing against the ER operation. Pretty well run, a lot of fun for what it is, relatively well priced. The only two issues-

1. All levels of driver experience mixed, thus the instructors are VERY conservative. Too much "passenger seat" driving, IMO. They tell you when and how to shift, when and where to brake, etc., and get annoyed if you do it otherwise. As long as you're safe, you can go as fast as your talent will allow. Couple of the instructors were better on this.
2. The event is run in a manner that would put "demo rides" on the Cayenne at the same time as you're doing hot laps on one of your cars. Thus, impedes are common. Those laps are gone, you don't get them back.

Having said that, it was a fun experience. The track is 1.2 miles long, seven turns, pretty busy, nothing too technical. The 991 GT3 holds the track record at 51 secs.

I drove the GT3 first. Car is sweet, extremely well balanced, super composed. Only negative is the exhaust is too quiet. That thing is begging for a Sharkwerks exhaust delete. You can tell why this car, despite having one of the relatively least powered engines there, is the track champ. Everythging a Porsche should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHE...ature=youtu.be

Followed in the Vette Stingray. What a let down. Not that the car does anything wrong, it's a pretty capable car, excellent brakes. Just feels underpowered. The ZO6 should fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc52...ature=youtu.be

Next was the Lambo Aventador. It's a WILD ride. Imagine a starved, pissed off, steroid-ridden pitbull. Then multiply that by 100. It's that subtle. The upshifts were brutal. As in, the back of your helmet banging the seatrest. Brakes are phenomenal, so much weight transition coming off the front straight, that the rear gets loose under braking. It was also the only car there that had to be cooled down after just 4 hot laps, as both brakes AND engine oil were overheating. In nice mid-70 degree weather. As Italian as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pt0...ature=youtu.be

Finished off in the Italia. What a car. This car will make you a Tifosi. In one lap.
It was not any faster than the GT3, but it felt WAY faster. Perfect in every way. The sound of the exhaust is like God's own voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRo...ature=youtu.be

At the end of the day, would I do it again? Not just yes, HELL YES!!!
But It'd be a much better experience if they corrected both initial points I mentioned. Will send them a letter with some suggestions, maybe a special "advanced" or "experienced" run group? I'd pay extra for that.

Old 12-09-2014 | 12:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbossolo
OK, here's my take. Nothing against the ER operation. Pretty well run, a lot of fun for what it is, relatively well priced. The only two issues-

1. All levels of driver experience mixed, thus the instructors are VERY conservative. Too much "passenger seat" driving, IMO. They tell you when and how to shift, when and where to brake, etc., and get annoyed if you do it otherwise. As long as you're safe, you can go as fast as your talent will allow. Couple of the instructors were better on this.
2. The event is run in a manner that would put "demo rides" on the Cayenne at the same time as you're doing hot laps on one of your cars. Thus, impedes are common. Those laps are gone, you don't get them back.

Having said that, it was a fun experience. The track is 1.2 miles long, seven turns, pretty busy, nothing too technical. The 991 GT3 holds the track record at 51 secs.

I drove the GT3 first. Car is sweet, extremely well balanced, super composed. Only negative is the exhaust is too quiet. That thing is begging for a Sharkwerks exhaust delete. You can tell why this car, despite having one of the relatively least powered engines there, is the track champ. Everythging a Porsche should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHE...ature=youtu.be

Followed in the Vette Stingray. What a let down. Not that the car does anything wrong, it's a pretty capable car, excellent brakes. Just feels underpowered. The ZO6 should fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc52...ature=youtu.be

Next was the Lambo Aventador. It's a WILD ride. Imagine a starved, pissed off, steroid-ridden pitbull. Then multiply that by 100. It's that subtle. The upshifts were brutal. As in, the back of your helmet banging the seatrest. Brakes are phenomenal, so much weight transition coming off the front straight, that the rear gets loose under braking. It was also the only car there that had to be cooled down after just 4 hot laps, as both brakes AND engine oil were overheating. In nice mid-70 degree weather. As Italian as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pt0...ature=youtu.be

Finished off in the Italia. What a car. This car will make you a Tifosi. In one lap.
It was not any faster than the GT3, but it felt WAY faster. Perfect in every way. The sound of the exhaust is like God's own voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRo...ature=youtu.be

At the end of the day, would I do it again? Not just yes, HELL YES!!!
But It'd be a much better experience if they corrected both initial points I mentioned. Will send them a letter with some suggestions, maybe a special "advanced" or "experienced" run group? I'd pay extra for that.

Great videos.. looks like a great experience.
I don't know if the harping was that bad. they all seemed to have the same comments at the same time, so you know they were all trained to give each driver the same experience.

I don't think that the Lambo wasnt all that tough on brakes, but I would say, that twitch you feel braking straight and on the trail braking, was just way too much rear brake bias, not a weight transfer issue... weight transfer is just a function of decel rate. didn't think that the lambo shifting was all that smooth and positive. The GT3 sounded very precise in the shifting

the Vet wasn't underpowered, it was just that they forced you to stay in one gear from 60mph to 120mph! they probably think that the "torque" could carry it through, and it cant. you need HP, and all the other cars were in the rev zone to utilize the HP better.

Looked like a lot of fun... good for you!
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:51 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

It really was! Yup, I know part of the Vette's "issues" were created by their ridiculous requirements. That's exactly why a more "advanced", less restrictive run group would be fun. The Lambo was great fun, just a bit too raw. The GT3 is the all around champ, it does everything well. The Ferrari feels the most emotional, perfect shifts and blips, a sound like music.
My analogy would be this- the GT3 is a scalpel, Vette is a good kitchen knife, Ferrari is a Chef's knife, Lambo is a hatchet. They all cut well. The difference is HOW they do it.
Old 12-09-2014 | 03:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It really was! Yup, I know part of the Vette's "issues" were created by their ridiculous requirements. That's exactly why a more "advanced", less restrictive run group would be fun. The Lambo was great fun, just a bit too raw. The GT3 is the all around champ, it does everything well. The Ferrari feels the most emotional, perfect shifts and blips, a sound like music.
My analogy would be this- the GT3 is a scalpel, Vette is a good kitchen knife, Ferrari is a Chef's knife, Lambo is a hatchet. They all cut well. The difference is HOW they do it.
ha ha ! Good analogies! I do think the one thing that could have made the vet ride more visceral, would have to get that V8 up to the redline like the others! Im sure the Ferrari was amazing!! ive instructed in a few. they can be pretty raw too, when you start getting into their limits. they are all beasts!
Old 12-09-2014 | 03:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-11-2014 | 10:51 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

I'm sure I'll do it again. Will probably limit myself to just the Italia and GT3, do 10-15 laps each. Will probably do it a bit later in the day, or a slightly warmer day. Gotta give that track lap record a try! (51 secs). My best lap was 54.7, on a cold track (mid 50's).
Old 12-11-2014 | 06:38 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

I agree with you on this one, some of the instructors were better than others. I was told to brake harder, about two or three time per lap, not sure why as I was driving carefully and under control.
Old 12-13-2014 | 10:41 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Sent them this e-mail-

Just sent my feedback questionaire, but would like to stress a few points-

1. The way the event is run, you can run into Cayenne demo laps while doing your own (paid for) hot laps. You don't get those laps back, even if impeded by the Cayenne.

2. Since all driver skill levels are mixed, instruction is very conservative and limiting. Those of us with extensive track experience suffer/pay for this. A good idea would be an advanced/solo drive group. Instructor in car, but limited instruction, with complete leeway on braking points, shifting, etc. I'd be willing to pay extra for an experience like that. I am a PCA Nationally Certified HPDE Instructor with over 12 year's track experience (10 tracks in 4 different states), including 3 times at COTA (only purpose-built F1 track in the USA). I regularly drive events with PCA, NASA, MVP Tracktime, Chin Motorsports, just to name but a few. I was scolded by one of your youngest instructors for not "following his commands" as to when to shift. I think I know when to shift a car. Another of your instructors ordered me to leave the Corvette in 3rd gear throughout the whole 5 laps, as "it had enough torque" to do so. Sure, the car will run like that, but not to it's full performance potential. So between the conservative/restrictive instruction, and the impeding staff cars, I feel my experience was significantly stripped of potential. It was still enjoyable, but a lot less so.

3. I brought my personal helmet for the day, a SA2010-certified CF Simpson Stingray. I was told by one of your staff that I could not use my helmet, as it was a "full face" design, was forced to wear one of your "open face" helmets for the day. As I'm sure you're aware, a "full faced" helmet offers significantly MORE protection and safety than any "open faced" design. So, in essence, you're advocating the use of less safe equipment! If seeing the driver's eyes/facial expression by the instructor an issue, you can always run with the visor up.

I'd be willing to return to one of your events, and recommend it to my fellow racers, IF these points are addressed and corrected in the future. Your venue has a lot of potential for this type of event.

Sincerely,

Jose A Bossolo

Their response-

Hello Jose,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me. We are always interested in improving our experience, and feedback like yours helps to make that possible. I have shared all of your comments and suggestions directly with our track operations team for consideration.

I sincerely apologize if your experience was anything less than spectacular, we always want everyone to have a great time on our track. Our instructors know the track better than anyone, and they want to help each guest get the most out of their drive. Regardless, I sincerely apologize if you left feeling dissatisfied with your experience in any way. We always encourage our guests to speak with a member of our management team if there is ever a problem or concern on the track, and we do our very best to address any concerns immediately. It is never our intention for a guest to leave us dissatisfied, but I am certainly glad that you were able to voice your concerns with me.

The open face style makes it much easier for our instructors to communicate with you while you are on track. It is very important for our instructors to be able to easily verbally communicate with our clients and to be able to see the driver’s eyes/facial expressions.

Should you have any further comments or if there is anything else that I can do, I can be reached directly at 702-405-7223.

Best Regards,

Aundraya Ceballos | Customer Service Manager
So, in essence, they only addressed the helmet issue, saying it's for communication purposes (something easily solved with a helmet comm set), and ignored all other points. I think it's my last time spending my money there.
Old 12-13-2014 | 10:50 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think they're in a tough position. How can they properly vet each customer that says he has experience and should be in a faster run group or solo? Think of the liability and potential damage to what are cars in the 6 figures. Even exclusing an SUV at the same time you have these super cars on track wouldn't exclude the novice driver in a Ferrari from impeding a faster driver in a similar if not slower car.

The helmet thing is understandable, but much easier to get around. Check for the Snell rating and leave the visor open. I really didn't think their instructors would be using Chatterbox communicators for each student and to your point, the cars are loud.

Even with all these restrictions, where else can you drive these types of super cars? The only thing that is somewhat of a let down is that it's only a 1.2 mile track.
Old 12-13-2014 | 10:55 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Even with all these restrictions, where else can you drive these types of super cars?
Well, their direct competitor, for once-
www.dreamracing.com

Going with them next time.
BTW, just noticed their website specifies they use "race helmets with intercom".
Glad somebody is listening.
Old 12-14-2014 | 12:31 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Well, their direct competitor, for once-
www.dreamracing.com

Going with them next time.
BTW, just noticed their website specifies they use "race helmets with intercom".
Glad somebody is listening.
I did a session with Dream Racing about 2 years ago in the F430 race car. Based on your videos and description, the driving experience was extremely similar. Open face' rally-style helmets. Instructor was easy going but fairly insistent about gear selection (wondering if this is more about wear and tear on the equipment than speed optimization).

I was there fairly early in the morning (by Vegas standards) and didn't have any other cars on the track at the same time though. Nice facility with a full session in a sim of the track (with instructor watching /advising) in advance of getting into the car was very helpful.

Quick Reply: Exotics Racing Las Vegas review