Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exotics Racing Las Vegas review

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014 | 03:40 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Default Exotics Racing Las Vegas review

This past Monday I went to Exotics Racing in Las Vegas. Thought I'd share a few comments.

I drove the following:

Lamborghini Gallardo: Did 7 laps in it. Couldn't see crap from the low seating, so a lousy car to own, for me. Wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be.

Corvette C7: Did 7 laps in it. Nice car, but not up to Porsche standards. Maybe I needed to wear a heavy gold chain or something.

Ferrari F430: Did 7 laps in it. Excellent. Argghhhh.. in the first lap I accidentally turned on the windshield wipers just before the banked curve!! The wiper stalk is near the paddle shifter. Be sure to bring your fingers back after a shift.

Porsche GT3: Did 7 laps in it (paid for 5, but they gave me an extra two since I got stuck behind a slow car in one lap). Had my best lap times. Was my favorite of the 4 cars I drove.

The experience was very good. The people there were friendly. The instructors were good. The first guy was a bit of a PITA. He mildly admonished me for downshifting in one place ("I didn't tell you to downshift there"). The other guys let me shift whenever I wanted with no admonishments.

They pretty much let me drive as fast as I wanted (some people in other forum posts said they were held back by the instructor). Max speed I hit was 120.

Yes, the instructors prattled incessantly, but I tuned them out. Took the cars to red line on the main straight (1,800 feet). I can understand why they do the prattling... they have no idea who they are riding with or whether you have previous track experience. But, other than the first instructor, the others let me drive the cars the way I wanted to. Of course, you aren't allowed to turn off the nanny controls.

I found that once they saw that you knew what you were doing on the track, they let you drive to your ability, but they still keep the prattle going.

They do hold the steering wheel, lightly, when you are passing (again, they have no idea what sort of bonehead they may be sitting next to), but they never did any actual steering inputs.

Overall, a very fun experience that I would highly recommend. It's a chance to drive cars that you don't own in a manner that no one else would let you.

Made me appreciate Porsches even more.

For those of you that have done it, would like to hear your experience review.

Last edited by Cuda911; 11-01-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2014 | 01:47 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

I did it a few years ago at the same place. It was epic. That was my first time driving on a track so needless to say I didn't need the instructors to hold me back..I've always wanted to go back, especially since they now have a 458 Italia.

I thought the Gallardo was amazing though. Very easy car to go fast in. I probably went faster in that than the others (911 and F430 Scuderia).
Old 11-01-2014 | 08:11 PM
Bully67
Racer

Cheaper than an afternoon at the craps table.

Best part is the realization that all the super cars have an individual personality. The McLaren is an amazing piece of technology.

Check out the Dream Racing website. They have a Ferrari F430 GT race car listed . . . off to Vegas next week and it is very hard to resist.

Last edited by Bully67; 11-01-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2014 | 09:04 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

I dropped by the Exotic Racing in Sept, 2014 while my gearbox was being refreshed by Bill Rader, great way to spend an afternoon in Vegas. The instructors were great, they allowed me to go as fast as I was comfortable with and I managed a best lap time of 54:36 in the GT3.

My least favourite was the Lambo, I just didn't like the car, not sure why but it's not for me.

I took out 4 cars for 7 laps each, the 458 Italia was my favourite but my best lap time was in the 991 GT3.

This is the order that I drove the 4 cars:
1) Audi R8 V10
2) Porsche 991 GT3
3) Lamborghini Superluggera
4) Ferrari 458 Italia

Some video's of the GT3 & 458.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 11-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2014 | 09:11 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Thinking of doing this with my old man (77, drives a Boxster S) next month. Thanks for the vids!
Does it include classroom time, etc? I'm a track junkie, but the old man could use it.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:26 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

i've been thinkin of doing this for a couple of years. since i don't get out to vegas much, thought this would be more fun that gambling and seeing britney or celine sing....
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:50 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Thinking of doing this with my old man (77, drives a Boxster S) next month. Thanks for the vids!
Does it include classroom time, etc? I'm a track junkie, but the old man could use it.
It includes a VERY limited classroom session (20 minutes or so). I tend to think that most people who have never tracked a car wouldn't get much out of it. Give your dad a short briefing before you go, and the classroom stuff will make more sense to him.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:42 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Cool. He did the 2-day Porsche "sports driving experience" school with me last December at Barber, so I think he'll be OK. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014 | 12:03 PM
Bully67
Racer

Cool. He did the 2-day Porsche "sports driving experience" school with me last December at Barber, so I think he'll be OK. Thanks!
Be sure you do multiple cars - 3 is a good number as far as time and value. If you have the time add on for 10+ laps in one car. After 5 laps you are just getting an appreciation for where the limits are as well as the rhythm of the track.
Old 11-04-2014 | 12:31 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Was in Vegas last week

Couldn't match my sched to theirs

Was gonna do 25 laps in the 430gt3
Old 11-04-2014 | 02:23 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

The instructor had his hands on the steering wheel when you were passing? Sounds dangerous.
Old 11-04-2014 | 04:09 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

^^^ I guess they do that so that they can quickly steer away if student does something wacky.

Oh, I forgot to mention: They adjust the mirrors (side and rear view) so that the instructor can see what's behind, from the passenger seat. So, you are driving with no mirror capability for the driver. The cars were spaced out enough that it was pretty easy to keep track of where other drivers were on the track, so wasn't a big deal.
Old 11-13-2014 | 12:32 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Booked my event with them for Dec 6th. Five laps each on MB SLS, Audi R8, Ferrari Italia, ten laps on Lambo Aventador. Still thinking of swapping Lambo-Ferrari? Which one you gents think would be more exhilarating to drive for the full 10 laps? I've driven the Italia on a track before, never the Aventador (just a Gallardo and a Murcielago). I'll be reporting my experience later, along with video
Old 12-03-2014 | 02:20 PM
Linz3
AutoX

Booked my event with them for Dec 6th. Five laps each on MB SLS, Audi R8, Ferrari Italia, ten laps on Lambo Aventador. Still thinking of swapping Lambo-Ferrari? Which one you gents think would be more exhilarating to drive for the full 10 laps? I've driven the Italia on a track before, never the Aventador (just a Gallardo and a Murcielago). I'll be reporting my experience later, along with video
jbossolo, if you want an "exhilarating" drive, I'd say the Aventador is the way to go-- despite being a bit of a pig, it's stupid-powerful and fast.

That said, it depends what you want-- the GT3 is said to be the fastest on their track, and would probably be the best if you're trying to get some good laptimes in, but for fun the Aventador and 458 are my suggestions.
Old 12-03-2014 | 02:43 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm a P-guy through and through, have logged plenty of laps elsewhere with Gt3's, 996TT, 997S, 991S, 997 GT3RS's, etc, so just looking for something different. Right now it's the Aventador for 10 laps, all other 5.
I'll report later.

Quick Reply: Exotics Racing Las Vegas review