Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new floor jack...recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Love my AC. I posted to that GJ thread (#117) when I got it in 2011. He he.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have 7 AC hyd jacks at work all in hard use by people that don't own them and treat them like ugly strippers. All 7 have been 100% trouble free for many years. Went through 2 HF jacks for home and track use in 4 years. The HF jacks are hit or miss. Some seem to work OK some folks and crap out in short order for others. Got one of these for the shop to augment a lowrise jack. http://www.zendextool.com/rakjak/DBT2-RakJak.html
Air power and handy as hell. Jack the car up unhook the air line and hook it to the gun. 20 seconds from start to wheel off.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
And torque wrenches. I just went and replaced my previous $20 HF torque wrench with another one yesterday. Except this time I had a coupon and got it for $12. My other one lasted 6 years (which was 4 years longer than my buddy's Craftsman).

Why people spend hundreds of dollars on a 1/2" torque wrench for their wheel nuts is beyond me.

Back on topic: I also have two HF jacks. Those things are awesome. No issues.
Ha! After going through 2 HF 1/2" torque wrenches, and 4 craftsman wrenches which all were used to do pretty much lug nut torquing (and neither having warranties), I had enough and paid $300 for a snap on with a lifetime warranty. None of the others were warrantied and all stripped the gears in the head. Would usually get about 6 months out of a wrench here at the shop. Should have just bought a good one with a warranty to start with. Would have saved a lot of money!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Ha! After going through 2 HF 1/2" torque wrenches, and 4 craftsman wrenches which all were used to do pretty much lug nut torquing (and neither having warranties), I had enough and paid $300 for a snap on with a lifetime warranty. None of the others were warrantied and all stripped the gears in the head. Would usually get about 6 months out of a wrench here at the shop. Should have just bought a good one with a warranty to start with. Would have saved a lot of money!
How did you get a Snap On T wrench with a lifetime warranty? The rest of us get them with 12 months defect warranty.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

One thing no one mentioned is minimum pickup height. Not usually a problem but some track cars are pretty low. Industry standard for "low profile" jacks is 3.5". There are a few steel jacks that go below 3" - AC and Omega, go down to 2.5". HF makes a couple that go down to 2.75". In aluminum Zinko makes one that goes down to 2.5". The Brunnhoelzl low profile aluminum is the lowest in the industry at 2" even.

I've had good luck with the Omega, but its a commercial garage jack that weighs 91 lbs. I take an NOS NSJ0101 aluminum jack (made by Sunex) to the track. It has outboard wheels so it's a bit more stable than some of the cheaper solid roller jacks plus it only weighs about 26 lbs. and it's ANSI rated. The Brunnhoelzl is the crown jewel. The only US made aluminum jack. Probably the original aluminum floor jack and still made by the family of the guy who created it. Uh - Santa?

Last edited by jpoint; 11-21-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC crossbeam adapter

Anyone use an AC crossbeam adapter for jacking? I like the looks of the jacks, but would like feedback on the crossbeam.
Buzz
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Lloyd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OTC 1532 -Good Quality -About $225 never a problem in 8 years---I am not a fan of Harbor Freight anything
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I picked up one of these at Sam Club over 10 years ago for $100, still works like new:

Amazon.com: Michelin 3 1/2 Ton Garage Floor Car Jack: Automotive Amazon.com: Michelin 3 1/2 Ton Garage Floor Car Jack: Automotive
Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone use a "jack-in-the-pouch" made by PitPal? It stores the jack vertically. What jack do you have? The oil leaked out of my jack so I'm looking for a different one.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Harbor Freight has been good, had mine 3-4 years still going strong. Also a jack is not really a safety item. It's to lift a car. Once it's up you should put the car on jack stands to get under it.

Quick Reply: Need new floor jack...recommendations please