Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM EVO4 Throttle Position Sensor for 993!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default AiM EVO4 Throttle Position Sensor for 993!

It is a total electrical mod that requires a trip into the ECU under the drivers seat, and a connection to the EVO4. Funny, I thought the ECU was under the passenger seat...that's how much I know.

For any that want details, PM me.. I'll see if I can pry them out of my AiM dealer. He did the job in about an hour.

So far I have:
1. Brake pressure sensor,
2. Oil Temp sensor, with high alarms,
3. Oil pressure sensor, low alarms,
4. Battery voltage,
5. Transmission oil temperature with warning
6. Throttle position sensor.

I am having more fun with my AiM EVO4/G Dash and Smarty Cam every time I use them.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

Someday ...

For Driver improvement:
1 and 6.
For driveline care:
2, 3, and 5.
For Warnings:
2 - 5.

A very good start to improve the 993 data options. Do you still use the OBD II port connection?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

No OBDII information at all, AFAIK, on 993.

You're on the money with your comprehensive benefits and use list!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile OBD II is :( on 96 - 98 993

Too slow and clunky..nothing of benefit off the OBD II on the 993 car. OBD II, as I understand it, becomes really sophisticated in the 2004 and later 911 cars. Don't know anything about Boxster or Cayman, Cayenne for that matter. On the later model OBD IIs, pretty much anything and everything you'll need is available off the OBD II, other than tire temps.

I am thinking that tire temps would be sweet to have. Start with 4 sensors, 1 per corner, maybe end up with 3 sensors per corner, left, center, right....build in warning lights for dangerous temps...know when to back off a bit, before the rear end snaps out.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Too slow and clunky..nothing of benefit off the OBD II on the 993 car. OBD II, as I understand it, becomes really sophisticated in the 2004 and later 911 cars. On the later model OBD IIs, pretty much anything and everything you'll need is available off the OBD II, other than tire temps.

know when to back off a bit, before the rear end snaps out.
Martin, there is nothing readable of any kind, within the AiM Protocol, for the 993, either direct wire to the communications bus (which there is none) between the ECU and the instrument cluster OR through the OBD-II (onboard diagnostic connector-generation 2).

I think there is a common misperception, that if a vehicle has an OBD-II connector (which is required in all US domestic market vehicles since 1996 MY) that there is information that can be gleaned from any and all of these cars. That's simply not true.

There are certain parameters that are sent to the OBD-II connector depending on manufacturer, year, make and model, primarily to facilitate simple state emissions testing and, in some cases, proprietary manufacturer protocols to allow for limited diagnostics (mainly error code reading and reset). A good guide for what is a good connection for the AiM line of products is here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...II_eng_112.pdf

The first P-cars able to send this information to the OBD-II are the 1997-on 996 series. The ISO 9141/2 protocol is a standard, basic (relatively slow, but usable for what we're doing) protocol common among a broad variety of cars leveraged to show, at a minimum, RPM , Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) and accelerator pedal position (PPS). As time went on, more information was available at the OBD-II port in proprietary protocols that contain a LOT more information and, as the data was sent around the car quicker (basically more ECU's to control stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes), more of that information was available through "sniffing" or a direct connection to that CANbus (controller area network) within the car.

Now, with the US domestic market cars required as of December 2012 on to incorporate a number of driver aids, all of the sensors required to do that can be accessed by loggers, BT connectors and a bunch of other ways. It's a great day!

David built a throttle position sensor channel by connecting to the input from the existing sensor to the 993 ECU. You can do this on a number of cars that have a variable resistor to plot the throttle position. I do it on 951's all the time. It's very fortunate, as you have pointed out, to have David and Ellen locally to you and I am very glad to see you so enthusiastic about this new knowledge and review capability.

AFA tire temp alarm monitoring goes, I'd recommend using your "butt gyro yaw rate" sensor before devising an alarm in your dash! Hahahaha!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! I have put that very special bottle away for aging and will enjoy it in 2015!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I am thinking that tire temps would be sweet to have. Start with 4 sensors, 1 per corner, maybe end up with 3 sensors per corner, left, center, right....build in warning lights for dangerous temps...know when to back off a bit, before the rear end snaps out.
Tire temps are a great setup tool, but I don't think they will work in the way you want them to. Ideal temps vary depending on the tire and the actual temps will vary depending on air temp, track temp, how hard you drive, etc. Plus, I'm not sure there is a hard number that you would find that would give you when the tire is going to lose grip - that number is probably more of a range than a specific number.

I can send you a data file with tire temp data if you want to play with it.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Newby (Me) and Data Logging.

"AFA tire temp alarm monitoring goes, I'd recommend using your "butt gyro yaw rate" sensor before devising an alarm in your dash! Hahahaha!" What I was thinking/dreaming the tire temp data could be sent by on-board telemetry to my pit crew...they could give me a call on the 2 way communications.

NOT going to happen, as an amateur Club Racer, I don't and will never have telemetry, and I agree, the "Butt Gyro yaw rate" has proven to be pretty accurate. I was just sharing a fantasy, maybe getting too caught up in data logging, can one be too caught up in this? JJust got a note back from my AiM dealer, Ellen Ferguson....these IR sensors, ain't cheap, close to $200 each, with a minimum of 4, to 12 with a 3 sensors per wheel set up....+ data hubs, + ??? Butt Gyro is much cheaper.

And Peter, thanks for letting me know what David was doing under my front seat and in the engine compartment. I am pleased the TPC is electronic and not mechanical.

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-23-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Martin, do you know if you are getting a feed off of the TPS sensor? IOW, are you tapping that specific signal line in the TPS to feed both the ECU AND the AiM sensor?

Toby
Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's how it's done, Toby. Call Dave or Ellen Ferguson at Veracity Data in California.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Ellen may very well know, David

will know for certain as he did the actual install:

Ellen and David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
5505 Linne Rd
Paso Robles, CA 93446
805-238-1699

PS The worldwide AiM community, especially the Rennlist AiM dealers, is pretty darn special. Nothing like this have I seen before. I have limited experience with Racepak, they were OK, unfortunately I had plenty of experience with RLC (They are now defunct...no further disparaging comment to be included), and AiM through the Rennlist Racing & Drivers Education Board. The latter is head and shoulders above anything I have seen. My particular AiM dealer, Veracity Racing Data, world class. The continually under promise and over deliver.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Martin. I will reach out to Ellen and David. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile How it was done....TPS and EVO4

David from Veracity Racing Data writes, "Yes we are tapping into the TPS signal at the ECU, so the signal from the TPS sensor goes to both the ECU and the Aim Evo4. The AiM system just monitors the voltage and the signal is only active when the ECU is powering the sensor."

Quick Reply: AiM EVO4 Throttle Position Sensor for 993!