Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Limits at race Tracks (lowest limits?) - Az track needs help to stay open!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Chris Cervelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60 db. HAHAHA. Stupidity triumphs over science once again.

M758,

I spoke to one of the owners of NASA today, and he assured me that there is currently no sound limit in efffect for AMP. He went on to say that AMP needs some loud cars out there to properly do the sound study. I intend to do my part and try to hit 120 db with my 996.

That developer is a real idiot. Apparently he made a total fool of himself at the hearing. I think that even if he does get AMP closed down he is going to have a tougher time closing the AFB.

My predictions:

AMP will run 92db from 2004 on
Luke AFB will close around 2009
AMP's land will then triple in value and then the sound issue will become a real problem. The track will cease to exist.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally posted by Geoffrey
Lime Rock has an 87db limit and will let you go up to 89db measured at 50'.
Damn, my car hitting the tire wall and then the bridge was making more noise than that. I guess I could have gotten a black flag if it wasn't for the fact that the car was on its side under the bridge...
Old 08-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Sheesh...I don't think any early (pre-78) aircooled cars could meet those kind of asinine restrictions, even with closed airboxes and stock mufflers.

My little 914-6 is in the 100dBA range WITH the muffler The Webers w/ ITG filters account for a tremendous portion of the noise. Carbs (or FI velocity stacks) are extremely difficult to quiet down without restricting the hell out of the intake.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:46 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While this is likely a silly limit, it is meaningless without the distance spec. 60dB is no problem for any race car at 2 miles and impossible at 50 feet. The real problem with 60dB at a longer distance is that you have to make sure you are really measuring race cars, and not background jet noise or highway or whatever.

Pig4Bill makes a good point as to what 60dB really is. For reference, I also think a pretty quiet dishwasher is ~60dB at 10-15 feet away.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I hate the "Highway 68 Coalition"...a bunch of idiots who buy houses near a race track and an airport and then complain about noise...freakin' idjuts....
Heh.

No doubt.

My former wife's cousin built a house directly across the street from a local bullring that has been holding races there for over 40 years. After she moved in she complained about the noise and joined a group trying to get the track closed. I'm not kidding or exaggerating one bit. Unbelievable.

Even more amazing is courts willing to listen to their whining drivel.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Geo
My former wife's cousin built a house directly across the street from a local bullring that has been holding races there for over 40 years. After she moved in she complained about the noise and joined a group trying to get the track closed. I'm not kidding or exaggerating one bit. Unbelievable.

Even more amazing is courts willing to listen to their whining drivel.
It's happening over here too; the closest track to where I live is located in the small town of Hämeenlinna, and there really isn't much else than that track to keep the place alive... it's been there for who knows how many years, and still new people are moving in and then complaining about the noise...

So far they've succeeded to close the track for sundays, which sucks because our p-club used to have full weekend events there
Old 08-18-2003, 11:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Radical Racer
While this is likely a silly limit, it is meaningless without the distance spec. 60dB is no problem for any race car at 2 miles and impossible at 50 feet. The real problem with 60dB at a longer distance is that you have to make sure you are really measuring race cars, and not background jet noise or highway or whatever.

Pig4Bill makes a good point as to what 60dB really is. For reference, I also think a pretty quiet dishwasher is ~60dB at 10-15 feet away.
I agree that 60 dB far away is fine. In fact there are neighbor's to the compainers that don't seem to notice the exisiting noise levels at all. My guess is that a real noise study would show little or no noise problems.

I think Chris Cervelli hit the nail on the head.

Unfortuantly I wish that it JUST a noise issue

Ok,
do you think a 944 with stock headers, no cat, and stock muffer will meet a 92 dB 50 ft limit?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, Laguna is crazy at 90db. guys were getting blackflagged all over the place in our SCCA race group. (ITE) other groups, depending on the time of day, had up to 101db. (its based on time as well at laguna seca)

Speed Gt allows us to run almost unlimited, and im around 110 db with straight pipes. 90 db with two mufflers, a muffler tip and a elbow to the driverside, away from the sound station between turn 5 and 6.

since at every 3 db , the noise level (sound energy)is halved, I dont think 60 is realistic. thats as loud as tire noise at 60mph. 20db is a deafly silenced room.
92, 89, 86,83,80,77,74,71,68,65,62db, you can see that 60db is going to be pretty quiet.

maybe 60 db has to be measured from 2 miles away!!! ha ha

Mk

Quick Reply: Sound Limits at race Tracks (lowest limits?) - Az track needs help to stay open!