Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victoracer vs RA1 vs PSC - Fastest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 08:16 PM
E36S50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Victoracer vs RA1 vs PSC - Fastest?

Sorry for the cross-post but it was suggested that the Racers might have an answer to my questions

Does anyone have experience with these three tires? I am in the market for a new set of open-track/Solo tires and these are the choices. I'd prefer to buy the RA1s or Victos for cost reasons, but if the PSCs are hands-down faster then I'd go that route. Anyone out there with lap times to help me decide?

I have a buddy who runs 255/40/17 & 275/40/17 RA1s on his 993 C2 and it seems to work very well, but the RA1 is an old tire, so is the Victo. One would hope that after ~10 years something new is faster?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 10:56 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't run them. But from what I've read, they'll outlast and outperform the Toyos and the Kumhos.

I've heard Hoosier is working on a longer-lasting formula, now, because they're losing business to the Michelins.

I just wish they'd make them in my size.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

E36S50:
I can't comment on the Kuhmos, but I have used both the PSCs and Ra1s.

PSCs: Take a lap or two to warm up. Comparable lap times to what I have turned on Hoosiers during a race. Are Ok in the rain, as long as you reduce the starting pressures. Excellent wear, they get better with more heat cycles (opposite of Hoosiers based on my experiences with both). According to the Michelinman.com website, they were designed for 911 rear engine configuration. They aren't cheap, but if you are racing, it's possible to get several race weekends on them before they start to lose grip. Limited number of sizes. I have noticed that the Michelin 225-45-17 seems a little narower than a Hoosier in the same size.

RA1s: Great tire as far as bang for your buck. If you are only doing DEs this is it. Not as fast on these as the Michelins (based on lap times). A dynamite rain tire. They are pretty sticky in the dry, but not quite as good as the Michelin or Hoosiers. Very predictable when sliding the car in the corners. they give you plenty of warning (make noise) when you are approaching the limits of adhesion.

Like I said, if you are just doing DEs, the RA1 is a better deal cost wise. For racing, the extra grip of the Michelins is worth the extra cost.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no experinece with the PSC but do with the Victoracer & RA1

Victoracer is just a bit faster than the RA-1, but does not last as long. I have 46 heat cycles on my last set of RA-1's and only 16 on my last Victoracers. RA-1's are more progressive at the limit as well and my car is easier to carry a drift in with RA-1's.

I have heard great things about the M PSC. Great grip and long lasting. My personal opinion is that these are great tires, better than the Victoracer or the RA-1. Only drawback in my mind is the cost.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Now having experience with Hoosiers (old and and used) RA1 (speedGT races, and Kumhos (used for commuting to the track and warmup sessions before races, I can tell you that the RA1s are slightly faster than the kumos and the RA1s are just slightly slower than the hoosiers. Keep in mind that the RA1s are a full 5lbs heavier per tire than the hoosiers, so thats a 20lbs added to the weight of the car, and it is on the outside edge of the wheel, making its effective HP robbing weight around 40lbs on the car overall.
(for every lb on the wheel, its like putting 1.4lbs on the car. if its all on the outer diameter, its more like 2:1)

I was pushing the RA1s hard at Sears point in the speed GT race, to run a time as quick as my hoosier time last nov in the PCA national event. Those hoosiers were kind of old though, so this could be why the times were around .2 second diff. I know when I get a set of new hoosiers, that they will probably shave .5 to 1 second off that time. new hoosiers really bite well. RA1s have more of a slidey feel to them.

Mk
Old 08-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had experience with both types of Kumho's and the Michelins. I've been running the Victoracers for several years both in DE and racing. This year I've been running the Michelins in all my racers. My observations are for my car (light 73 911) the Sport Cups are several seconds faster per lap than the Kumhos. Like Mark said, they take a few heat cycles to come in, but last a long time and stay consistent. They probably give a few tenths to the Hoosiers, hey when racing, how many times are you cranking out the ultimate lap times. Usually your battling and scheming and lapping traffic. But they are pricey.

Now the Kumhos I loved because they were extremely cost effective. I routinely got 50+ heat cycles on mine, only retiring them when I did something stupid like flatspotting them. They had a very shallow curve and don't drop off like the Hoosiers, remaining pretty consistent in the grip across their lifetimes. And they're cheap!

So which tire? Depends on your priorities. For me a racer, the Michelins are a no-brainer. The extra cost is abated by the longer lifetimes compared to the Hoosiers that everybody else runs, and the grip gets me close to the front. If I was running DE's and wanted a set of $400 tires to last all year, I'd get a set of Kumho's and be happy.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Larry Weinstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you'd like to try the Kumhos, I have a used set I'm not using. 245/45/17 and 275/40/17s. About half worn. Shipping unfortunitely is going to be about $80 but I could sell them for $150.

Quick Reply: Victoracer vs RA1 vs PSC - Fastest?