Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mont-Tremblant Data Share

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014 | 10:34 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Thanks! I always feel that 10 has some more, along with 11. I don't think I make enough use of the uphill exit of 11. I figure it's probably a spot that will take as much entry and mid corner speed as you can get the car to turn with as the exit gives you some compression and will let you gather it up.
Just learned this DE, 10 has a lot more entry speed...a little more speed and track out in 11 for sure.
Was wanting to meet you at the NER event on the Monday morning...Saw Rick Betterly for some wheels...was raining and your car was covered up.

Old 07-24-2014 | 10:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Looks like you were behind either K. or D. Karl at the beginning. Their line through 1-2-3 is the correct one.

1-2-3. Don't brake on front straight. Just breathe off the throttle. Go deeper at entry. You're turning in too early and riding the inside. There is a compression there near the far left of the track. Once you hit it grip is great then turn up the hill and clip the apex at the top. You will be a foot or so off the first cone, tight to the second at the top. At the apex hold the wheel and when the car becomes light straighten it. Over to the left it is bumpy and you can run out of asphalt in a hurry You will be going down the hill kind of on a diagonal. At the bottom don't brake. Trust me. The compression makes the car stick. Use all the track. When you feel the compression at the bottom (ignore the cone) turn in and apex at the end of the curbing on the inside (you will see a hole where dirt has been worn away from everyone driving on it). This is not only faster but safer as it lengthens your braking zone for the entry to the esses. You can carry tremendous speed over 1-2-3 so ensure your brakes and tires are up to the task of slowing down for the entry to the esses.

5 was way early. Gotta wait a bit to turn in and get on the power.

6 was early.

Turning in too early for 7.

Carousel was well done. Should be flat before the second apex.

For bridge Charles is right. The compression at the base of the hill helps the car stick. Turn 1/4 turn at turn in point for bridge then a further 1/4 turn while under the bridge. Odd I know but it works. Can carry great speed through there too.

Are you using the full vision techniques? It's hard to tell what you are looking at as your face is dark in the rear view mirror. Are you sawing at the wheel to control rotation or hit the apex while on the gas and to control the rear end under braking? My car would wag its tail under hard high speed braking when the diff was non-functional.

What data are you running? Been looking for something with integrated data/HD video myself.
Thanks! I rode with DareDevil on Wed. afternoon and saw the line you are talking about in 1-3. I'll have to try it out next time I'm up there.

In 5-7, the data says that I'm right on with the apex. It's something I've wondered about when the data conflicts with what people say. I will try later then next time and see what is faster. I'm flat from the exit of 5 until 7.

I'm usually pretty good at looking ahead and scanning as it's something I always try to work on, but I'm not saying that I might not be able to improve.

The data system is an AiM MXL Pista with a Smartycam HD. Shoot me an email at matt@trailbrake.net if you want to discuss some options. The YouTube video doesn't do the SmartyCam HD justice. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to edit videos and post them.
Old 07-24-2014 | 10:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dwane
Just learned this DE, 10 has a lot more entry speed...a little more speed and track out in 11 for sure.
Was wanting to meet you at the NER event on the Monday morning...Saw Rick Betterly for some wheels...was raining and your car was covered up.

Sorry I missed you. Our car is really not fun in that weather, so we left it parked all day. I was just hanging out a few spots down under someone's tent.
Old 07-25-2014 | 10:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The YouTube video doesn't do the SmartyCam HD justice. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to edit videos and post them.
Matt, still waiting for that file! I have some time this weekend to take a look and post my findings... It would be fun to take a closer look.

The new version of SM2 allows for individual lap editing! Add the movie, select the lap, select the "scissors" clipping tool and you're done. Fantastic!
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2014 | 01:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Matt, still waiting for that file! I have some time this weekend to take a look and post my findings... It would be fun to take a closer look.

The new version of SM2 allows for individual lap editing! Add the movie, select the lap, select the "scissors" clipping tool and you're done. Fantastic!
I sent it the other day. I will send it again in a bit.
Old 07-25-2014 | 03:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks! Got it.
Old 07-27-2014 | 05:53 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

And the video
You have to fix the hands, if you want any speed in and out (especially out ) of the turns. when you randomly grip the car as you are in the turns, you lose the neutral position, even with the big yellow stripe. this forces you to over steer (not oversteer, but over... steer each of the turns. If the hands are at 2-10ish, you can set the car in the turns, and on the exit, let the wheel uncoil much more smoothly!
fix that , and that's worth quite a bit of time in each of the turns.
Old 07-27-2014 | 11:56 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark, it looks to me like his car moves when Matt brakes which necessitates a steering correction.

Matt - good lines - not sure where you brake but here are a few hints, down the hill into One do not brake, just lift (I think you do this) you can gradually add power as you climb the hill and go flat before the crest. Downhill just lift for 3. Note I prefer to hold my wheel turned a little longer in 3 such that I can snap it straight and brake hard with no lateral acceleration.

For turn Six you should be able to lift, turn in and then accelerate hard long before the apex which is 50 meters long. Your line looked good, too many turn in late.

Turn 7 early braking and then maintenance throttle right after turn-in to keep the back end happy, if on line accelerate before the apex.

Turn 8 - I prefer the double apex, I get most of my turning done in between the two apexes at constant throttle and can go full throttle earlier aiming at the end of the rumble strip not sure this works on all cars though.

I think you braked in the short straight before 11, look into that corner early and just a lift is all it takes.

Best,
Old 07-27-2014 | 01:33 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks! I rode with DareDevil on Wed. afternoon and saw the line you are talking about in 1-3. I'll have to try it out next time I'm up there.
Thanks for coming out with me! Hope you have a second seat in your car, one day
Old 07-27-2014 | 09:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mark, it looks to me like his car moves when Matt brakes which necessitates a steering correction.

Matt - good lines - not sure where you brake but here are a few hints, down the hill into One do not brake, just lift (I think you do this) you can gradually add power as you climb the hill and go flat before the crest. Downhill just lift for 3. Note I prefer to hold my wheel turned a little longer in 3 such that I can snap it straight and brake hard with no lateral acceleration.

For turn Six you should be able to lift, turn in and then accelerate hard long before the apex which is 50 meters long. Your line looked good, too many turn in late.

Turn 7 early braking and then maintenance throttle right after turn-in to keep the back end happy, if on line accelerate before the apex.

Turn 8 - I prefer the double apex, I get most of my turning done in between the two apexes at constant throttle and can go full throttle earlier aiming at the end of the rumble strip not sure this works on all cars though.

I think you braked in the short straight before 11, look into that corner early and just a lift is all it takes.

Best,
Thanks Bob! The car does move around a lot under braking (no LSD, no aero, etc). I'm flat from turn 5 to 7. In 8 I found the double apex to be a little slower, but I'll have to try it with you method and see what I can do. I'll have to work on the no brakign into 11. Good idea on the eyes.
Old 08-02-2014 | 08:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
t,
Im not talking about correction, Im talking about inducing steering input, more that is needed and done in a way that can upset the car.. mainly his in turn steering action ,which in most cases, can be smoothed out with hand placement. way too much shuttle steering which makes it difficult to correct and push the car through and out of the turns. correction under braking is not an issue from my vantage point. its the first thing i clean up with folks I'm instructing. it seems to help in a BIG way, and very common. of course, bad habits are hard to break. But break this one and i think matt will be quite a bit faster.
Old 08-03-2014 | 12:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, Mark.

Quick Reply: Mont-Tremblant Data Share