Old 07-23-2014 | 06:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Mont-Tremblant Data Share

Here's some data from my last trip to Tremblant. The car is a 914 with a stock 3 liter motor. Weighs around 2,000 pounds with 225/50-15 Nitto NT-01 tires.

My best lap was a 1:59.525. I did lots of 2:00.xxx over the two days. I see where I can probably get to a high 1:58, but I can say this pace is scary through the Turn1-3 complex.

Be kind about my horrible hand movement on the steering wheel.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2014 | 06:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And the video
Old 07-23-2014 | 08:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, a LOT of good information here! But I see a LOT of opportunity, too!

Congrats on the 1:59.XXX!

Let me take a look and I'll tell you what I see... Can you export this test for me and email so I don't talk out of my butt because I miss something?

For you and RL, gratis!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-23-2014 | 10:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll email it over. There is always room to improve! I need to get up there more than a few days a year.
Old 07-23-2014 | 10:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Matt, thanks again for helping me at Tremblant with the track map.
For context, what is a good time for you at Watkins Glen?
1-3 is a hoot. I always used to picture doing barrel rolls on the downhill. Not helpful when trying to go fast.
Old 07-23-2014 | 10:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

1-3 at Tremblant is an exercise in pushing the boundaries of what your mind THINKS is possible, aided by the margin the data SHOWS is possible! It's been a great study, and using Jacques Villeneuve's execution (albeit in a quicker car), among others, will help me show you that, Matt.
Old 07-23-2014 | 10:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Matt, thanks again for helping me at Tremblant with the track map.
For context, what is a good time for you at Watkins Glen?
1-3 is a hoot. I always used to picture doing barrel rolls on the downhill. Not helpful when trying to go fast.
I've imagined similar things on that downhill! With NO aero anything on this car, it's all about compression and then prayer that everything is good.

My best at the Glen with these gears (same as Tremblant) is a 2:19.178.
Old 07-23-2014 | 11:06 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt, to compare, my best at WGI is 2:17:4 and at Tremblant it's 1:55:2. So that gives you an idea of what you could do. By the graphic you posted, you can carry a lot more speed entering turn 10. For the rest I'd have to take a deeper look.

C.
Old 07-23-2014 | 11:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Matt, to compare, my best at WGI is 2:17:4 and at Tremblant it's 1:55:2. So that gives you an idea of what you could do. By the graphic you posted, you can carry a lot more speed entering turn 10. For the rest I'd have to take a deeper look.

C.
Thanks! I always feel that 10 has some more, along with 11. I don't think I make enough use of the uphill exit of 11. I figure it's probably a spot that will take as much entry and mid corner speed as you can get the car to turn with as the exit gives you some compression and will let you gather it up.
Old 07-23-2014 | 11:25 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, turn 10-12 are where you can gain a bit over your competitors. At 10, you have to be over the first half of the curb, leaving the left side tires on the asphalt.

Turn 11 is off camber but you have to trust it. It will grip at the bottom when it starts to go uphill. The grip there is phenomenal.

C.
Old 07-23-2014 | 11:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Yes, turn 10-12 are where you can gain a bit over your competitors. At 10, you have to be over the first half of the curb, leaving the left side tires on the asphalt.

Turn 11 is off camber but you have to trust it. It will grip at the bottom when it starts to go uphill. The grip there is phenomenal.

C.
Thanks! I started experimenting with more curb in the Esses too. These things are going on my track sheet for next time!
Old 07-24-2014 | 12:55 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

matt, are you staying for the summer classic race this weekend?
Old 07-24-2014 | 12:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paseb
matt, are you staying for the summer classic race this weekend?
Nope. I'm back home in NH.
Old 07-24-2014 | 04:07 PM
Caddell
Instructor

I love it when folks share data to help others and get help themselves. Such a powerful tool that can deeply cut into the learning curve!
Old 07-24-2014 | 06:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Looks like you were behind either K. or D. Karl at the beginning. Their line through 1-2-3 is the correct one.

1-2-3. Don't brake on front straight. Just breathe off the throttle. Go deeper at entry. You're turning in too early and riding the inside. There is a compression there near the far left of the track. Once you hit it grip is great then turn up the hill and clip the apex at the top. You will be a foot or so off the first cone, tight to the second at the top. At the apex hold the wheel and when the car becomes light straighten it. Over to the left it is bumpy and you can run out of asphalt in a hurry You will be going down the hill kind of on a diagonal. At the bottom don't brake. Trust me. The compression makes the car stick. Use all the track. When you feel the compression at the bottom (ignore the cone) turn in and apex at the end of the curbing on the inside (you will see a hole where dirt has been worn away from everyone driving on it). This is not only faster but safer as it lengthens your braking zone for the entry to the esses. You can carry tremendous speed over 1-2-3 so ensure your brakes and tires are up to the task of slowing down for the entry to the esses.

5 was way early. Gotta wait a bit to turn in and get on the power.

6 was early.

Turning in too early for 7.

Carousel was well done. Should be flat before the second apex.

For bridge Charles is right. The compression at the base of the hill helps the car stick. Turn 1/4 turn at turn in point for bridge then a further 1/4 turn while under the bridge. Odd I know but it works. Can carry great speed through there too.

Are you using the full vision techniques? It's hard to tell what you are looking at as your face is dark in the rear view mirror. Are you sawing at the wheel to control rotation or hit the apex while on the gas and to control the rear end under braking? My car would wag its tail under hard high speed braking when the diff was non-functional.

What data are you running? Been looking for something with integrated data/HD video myself.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 07-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Mont-Tremblant Data Share