Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Brake Pad / Brake system discussion/questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

20 million years from now this thread will be discovered by some alien race and they are going to have no problem determining why we are extinct. It may be sooner if global warning really kicks in, or if Nancy Pelosi has her way
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
My understanding of the negatives associated through the term 'engine braking' were due to mistimed downshifts while heel/toeing or even not blipping at all and relying on engine braking to help slow you more than the brakes. That is probably what most people are objecting to in this thread. We've all seen it where someone basically just puts the car in the next lowest gear and releases the clutch whereby the engine revs overly high and sometimes leads to the rear tyres chirping (rwd car).

Of course there is some engagement of the engine during off throttle / in gear moments. We don't knowingly think 'I must use engine braking through this upcoming corner'. We just do it. By balancing the car on the throttle we are using the compression of the motor at these moments. If you want to term that 'engine braking' for the sake of argument, just preface this before beginning discussion and this will save you some R.S.I.
yep, im talking about perfect blip, heal toe , downshifts, blip downshifts, and just throttle release activities. not drivetrain destroying mismatched downshifts that lock up the rear tires. anytime you are off throttle, you have engine braking... I think about it, understand it, and try and avoid the brakes (meaning I don't want to over slow if I don't need to), and have confidence that it is there and a force that is pretty significant when you lift, or select a gear that gives you a high RPM to then be able to release the throttle.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

So you're saying that you make a conscious decision at multiple places on the track to not brake but rely on the compression of your motor to slow you up so that you don't over-slow by using the brakes? Either you're not carrying enough speed into corners that you can get away with that or you mean that by feathering the throttle to balance the car is in effect 'engine braking' and therefore don't we all do this? I think we're all aware that over-slowing via heavy application of brakes is, well, slower...but that's a given. Sometimes some of us use a dab of left foot just to pull the nose down. Especially with aero cars. You don't get the same reaction if you merely come off the throttle. While the nose will drop it is less effective than a bit of LFB especially combined with a continuance of throttle during that process.

Anyway, I think the terminology has created a few extra pages in this thread...interesting as it's been.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:12 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

theres so much wrong with all of this I don't know where to start, so I won't...
Old 09-26-2014, 02:46 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
theres so much wrong with all of this I don't know where to start, so I won't..

snip

"Porsche pressure plates transfer about half the loads through straps on the sides of the plate between the sprung plate and the cover."
first I would stare at the clutch pack and learn how it works.
then, dive in

what wrong with thread is folks claiming to know something they don't...... yeah, no one uses engine braking yeah, its inefficient and hard on equip.......
Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So you're saying that you make a conscious decision at multiple places on the track to not brake but rely on the compression of your motor to slow you up so that you don't over-slow by using the brakes? Either you're not carrying enough speed into corners that you can get away with that or you mean that by feathering the throttle to balance the car is in effect 'engine braking' and therefore don't we all do this? I think we're all aware that over-slowing via heavy application of brakes is, well, slower...but that's a given. Sometimes some of us use a dab of left foot just to pull the nose down. Especially with aero cars. You don't get the same reaction if you merely come off the throttle. While the nose will drop it is less effective than a bit of LFB especially combined with a continuance of throttle during that process.

Anyway, I think the terminology has created a few extra pages in this thread...interesting as it's been.
using compression braking instead of brakes , means you know the forces and it is sufficient to slow the car down for that particular turn. turn 8 comes to mine at thunderhill. if you need a tap with a faster car, then you do it. knowing the capability of all aspects of the car is the trick, right?

actually, you get near the same weight transfer for the same decal rate, however, the front brakes can give more, for a quick stab and set .
the only thing that LFB will buy you would be keeping turbos spooling up.
it really depends on the turn, but yes, by knowing and trusting the amount of engine braking you can be faster so you don't over brake. many at laguna do this at turn 9. If you are aware of its forces, you can trust it and not tap the brakes that might give a competitor a few feet of run up.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Whatever mark.

You argue absolutes about generalities and then generalize about absolutes to fit your arguments. People don't quit the discussions because you proved your point, they quit because there's no point in arguing with a wall...

Last edited by J richard; 09-26-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Gave up....
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

the only thing that LFB will buy you would be keeping turbos spooling up.
Dang, I've been doing it wrong. No wonder I'm so slow...

My little car has no turbo, so I guess I'll just quit with the left foot now.

When I go rally this winter, I'll remember that also....
Old 09-26-2014, 11:50 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 282 Posts

theres so much wrong with all of this I don't know where to start, so I won't...
Moderators: Can we move this to the front of the thread to save newbies a few weeks of their life?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure, it helps turbo cars but LFB is not mutually exclusive to these cars. By all means it's a good thing with lower c/r motors and bigger turbos but I LFB in my crappy n/a dd road car 85% of the time and also use the throttle for more than 50% of that time. It pulls the nose in while still accelerating and steering simultaneously. It really makes for accuracy.

I think there is some truth in what you say about engine braking but nobody sees it as this. It's still throttle maintenance and a subconscious balancing of the car with the gas pedal over the c/r of the motor. Nobody thinks about this in terms of 'engine braking' and I return to what I said about misuse of terms. Let's move forwards.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Sure, it helps turbo cars but LFB is not mutually exclusive to these cars. By all means it's a good thing with lower c/r motors and bigger turbos but I LFB in my crappy n/a dd road car 85% of the time and also use the throttle for more than 50% of that time. It pulls the nose in while still accelerating and steering simultaneously. It really makes for accuracy.

I think there is some truth in what you say about engine braking but nobody sees it as this. It's still throttle maintenance and a subconscious balancing of the car with the gas pedal over the c/r of the motor. Nobody thinks about this in terms of 'engine braking' and I return to what I said about misuse of terms. Let's move forwards.
yep, you got it. hey, I in no way think that LFB is bad. its nice to be at WOT, and not have to lift going into a sweeper, but for the amount of braking, you can generally get it from a lift. if you need more , the lift and the brake take time and if you can apply more via LFB, why not. its a style choice, and with most cars being fuel injected, there is really no lag in throttle other than the time it takes to apply it, and that's a timing/skill also , to coordinate it so it is not a factor. I don't want to argue style here because there is nothing wrong with LFB...... but I will if someone says it is always better.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:31 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

It's always better....
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Whatever mark.

You argue absolutes about generalities and then generalize about absolutes to fit your arguments. People don't quit the discussions because you proved your point, they quit because there's no point in arguing with a wall...
Richard, you jump in, you make a pretty specific argument and point and then do NOTHING to back it up or discuss it. THAT is the problem here. many do the same thing... I guess its natural. no one wants to be shown that they are wrong. for me, I live for the learning aspect of the technology. It helps learn to drive better and to build better performing cars that last longer.
so, here you are with a little projection here. Now, if you are honest with yourself, you will see that you jumped in here, made a statement, made some assumptions, didn't really understand the technology, and also at the same time, validated and endorsed others that also don't understand the forces, or the concepts.

now, if im wrong , chime in and respectfully make your point to the contrary. But, as I see it, and what I know about this clutch and others like it AND the concepts im referring too....... the clutch doesn't work like that. there are no force on decel or accel that stress the return springs (you call them "straps")...... and the engine can handle , with out an issue, both positive and negative torque and forces. the valve train doesn't know what direction the forces are coming from , the crank and driveline don't care and are not skewed for one vs the other........ its all a fabrication of fear that engine braking, used either with or without wheel brakes, is bad or should be avoided in any way. PLUS, there is not a good club or pro that doesn't use engine braking (with or without thinking about it) a good portion of the time when ever decel is required during a lap.

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-26-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by KaiB
It's always better....
always? Now that's a generalization.
I can tell you many reasons why that isn't true. There is one time where it will be true, and its in a turn or sweeper where you would want less rear brake bias, because that's the net net of LFB. (assuming you have a modern car and a skilled throttle foot)

ill give you one of many examples that are known deficiencies of LFB.
since you drive a car with realtively little power, this might not be an issue...... but say you are coming up to a sweeper, in 3rd gear, at the meat of your hp curve, and you need to slow the car for turn in. by applying the LFB, you reduce the power to the wheels that goes up in some heat, but there is still a lot of power available because of brake bias.... your front stab of the brakes, shifts the weight to the front of the car (a result of decelerating at whatever rate is required) BUT, Instead of removing power to the rear wheels, there is still power applied , and that can break the rear wheels free and greatly upset the car ...... think of it as doing a brake stand burn out, but at speed. There........ that's a condition where LFB is actually bad, and its not uncommon condition.

where its good.... if you know Thunderhill, turn 8. but the faster and more powerful cars might have the problem above. but if you are in a fast Miata or something 10mph faster, like a spec 911, a LFB is an easy way to just slow the car 5mph and have the car take a set, and drive the sweeper..... no real advantage to a lift, that gives the same decal and set of the car. This also depends on the driver capability and feel of the car, as well as preference. If I was instructing someone using LFB and they were doing it well, I would have no comment or preference.
I do see one advantage..... if someone is on your bumper, a brake light can create a pause in their mind..... might gain a few feet on them.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Ahhhh....I see now.

It's no wonder I keep spinning out upon entering those pesky sweepers.

Must be a torque issue, not hp though....

Quick Reply: Racing Brake Pad / Brake system discussion/questions